SOS FICUS

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/05/14, 13:04

Thank you for the detailed approach!

I had already cut branches up to more than 1cm in diameter and it is unfortunately dry from dry ... I am willing to continue but I fear arriving quickly at the pot !!

:|
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/05/14, 13:43

If "dry from home dry", then I fear that it is indeed "dead from home dead" !!!

You can keep the wood as a support for a climbing plant!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/14, 16:40

Come on, it's not to taunt. Just to "show" that I do not crac! I had my digital camera in my hand, to feed the wire on gardening without tillage, my great madness at the moment! I took the opportunity to shoot these photos.

Photo of a Ficus Benjamina (a very small-leaved subspecies, often on sale at a Swedish furniture dealer, easy to "bonsai"). It was a ficus tree in my living room, about 1,5 m high, when the urge to "bonsai" took hold of me. 3 cuts of pruning shears about 15/20 cm high. There remained 3 "mognons" of trunks without a leaf ... We can just see the trunk, not the cuts, behind the leaves.

Here it is today (after another one or two sizes):

The "branches" that I had just cut, I cut them into "little pieces of wood" that I cutted.

Here are some of them today:

On this detail, even if it is a fuzzy stink, we can still see the cicarice of the pruning shears (this is what is called false bonsai):

I therefore insist: these last photos, it was all "pieces of wood", without roots, without leaves, cut with secateurs, put in the ground after a treatment with the hormone of cuttings and ... wait and see !

So I can not understand when I am told that a ficus is difficult. It's like being told that the rain is dry ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/14, 16:58

Ultimate testimony on this subject.

Two days ago, one of my work colleagues, to whom I had given a well-rooted and well-distributed ficus cuttings, came to see me to tell me that he was in bad shape. He had just watered it the day before. Without results. Leaves at half mast.

I take it to the greenhouse - the ficus and the colleague and on a work table we deposit: the clod was dry from dry. A brick. The water had just gone around, running down the pot and basta! The ficus was thirsty!

I took the opportunity to change the soil with a mixture of soil + natural soil. Soaking - 30 minutes in water to break the "gore-tex" effect (the surface tension that dry earth develops and which prevents water from entering) and soak the soil well.

I returned it to him the next day, in great shape.

Just remember a lesson: we don't garden on the internet; as soon as a plant is bizarre, it must be removed and look at what's going on underground. This is where the plant feeds (in elements and in water). The leaves are just poor solar collectors ... You cannot garden properly without getting your hands dirty, applying recipes found on the internet ...

There can be roughly 3 kinds of problems:

- too much water and rotten roots: prune the rotten, reduce the water to the bare minimum (I saved an olive tree which had only a very small root by very very severely pruning the rotten roots and also the branches to reduce demand; he left)

- "dry clod" effect and the water that goes around it: soak

- underground parasites: clear the earth, wash with lots of water, possibly a shot of insecticide, new soil, little water (the roots are injured), possibly knock down the stems and leaves to reduce the water demand
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/05/14, 17:29

... by cutting very, very, severely the rotten roots and also the branches to reduce demand;

Very fair, this notion of balance is essential.
I have often successfully transplanted woody plants that are well established, by trimming the stem * to a few centimeters in height, in order to prevent the aerial part from "pumping" on a mutilated underground part and therefore completely incapable of responding to this. request.
Indeed, some superficial notions gleaned from the internet do not replace an in-depth knowledge of plant biology.

How are you Georgette?

* For practical reasons, you should not trim until you have pulled out!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/14, 18:36

That's why I put it on.

My wife is always surprised when I go as a "rescuer" and it starts by savagely mutilating the plant! "Are you sure she's going to get away with this ???" "No, but without that, she will die, that's for sure ...".

Right now I'm fighting with a caudex plant [an Adenia glauca]! There, yes, it is very sensitive to water!

I made a mistake. After buying it, he must have been under water stress. I transplanted it, which hurt the roots. And as it was withered, I put a dose of water ...

I should have retype it first. Then transpote it.

I don't see a positive reaction. Oulalala ...

2 days later I deposit: beginning of root rot. I clean. Met in an extremely draining mixture, without watering ...

My wife couldn't believe it when I told her: "you'll see, she'll be fine". I still deposited 8 days later: I see two very fresh rootlets.

Peremptorily, I said to my wife): "she is saved!" "Are you sure ???" ... Yes ...

For two days, she has been raising these leaves, a new shoot is appearing ...

But it must have been 4 weeks since it was with hanging leaves!

Put in effect, one should not be cardiac.

You follow your "instinct", you don't look underground, you water and she would be dead!

[these caudex plants are very very sensitive - they are plants from arid regions]
0 x
laure06
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

GEORGETTE IS BACK

by laure06 » 02/06/14, 22:21

Hello !!!

I'm here to give you news about Georgette!

On your good advice I decided to repot Georgette.

And STUPEUR !!!! by removing the pot ... there was no more soil .. in fact it was only roots intertwined with a remnant of soil .. and there everything became obvious ..
I understood better why the water went directly into the cup, why I could not take a little soil by hand in its pot .. and especially why it made the face .. lost all its leaves (yellow necessarily seen I was watering it too much) ...

She was simply HUNGRY !! the poor ...

So I repotted it in a bigger pot .. I put the old one next to you so that you can see what it was before ...

And miracle (or not: p say some and rightly) without lying, while the day before I collected twenty leaves each day on the ground maybe two days later there were no more leaves on the ground ... and especially what do i see when i return from we ....?

mini shoots !!!

In short, you will understand, she lives again .. I am very happy to have saved her .. in the end quite easily ^^

Georgette thanks you.
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 03/06/14, 00:32

Indeed when we see the size of the pots and the size of the ficus we understand better!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/06/14, 08:55

As you say, for me it was "obvious"! One of the most difficult plants.

And so remember the lesson: in the event of a "problem", which can be seen on the surface, always start to plunge your hands into the soil, this is where the plant feeds (water, nutrients). This is where it happens. The aerial part is only the "consequence" ...

You can now boldly get started: with pruning shears, you cut a branch the size of a pencil (the one a long and unsightly stink that goes towards the window, to the left of your photo); you cut at an angle, cleanly, with the least possible injury [having an instrument that cuts like a razor - a new cutter for example] just after a sheet down; you remove all the leaves except the last 3 and you put in the ground ... Neither too dry. Neither too wet. And when you see new leaves growing, you will see that it has taken root and that you have a 2nd plant for your potty!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/06/14, 09:35

Live Georgette! And congratulations to Laura06!Image
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."

Back to "Garden: landscaping, plants, garden, ponds and pools"