SOS FICUS

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/05/14, 20:53

If the water percolates much faster than usual, it is because your substrate has become dehydrated at a certain time and that it has lost its water retention capacities (this is what we observe easily with peat, for example).
To restore this function, the entire pot should be soaked in a basin of water for several tens of minutes.

Save Georgette!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 14/05/14, 23:57

Hello,

The pot seems small compared to the Ficus ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/05/14, 14:28

Ahmed wrote:If the water percolates much faster than usual, it is because your substrate has become dehydrated at a certain time and that it has lost its water retention capacities (this is what we observe easily with peat, for example).
To restore this function, the entire pot should be soaked in a basin of water for several tens of minutes.

Save Georgette!

Agrees !

(but do the "dig" test that I recommended; you will see very quickly that it is very dry; in this case, indeed, soaking)

I also share the opinion that this pot is much too small! The smaller a pot, the less there are "reserves", whether water or nutrients ... So the more "sensitive" the pipe!
0 x
laure06
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by laure06 » 15/05/14, 21:19

indeed it is dry however I water it regularly..but good as the water goes direct ds the cup .. no wonder ..

so if i understood correctly:

- stripping
- soaking the root ball
- repotting in a larger pot

Cross our fingers so that Georgette does not die!

Thank you for your help !
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 16/05/14, 21:26

1) You soak first ...

And then you have to put it in a much larger pot.

2) Your mishap is classic! Unfortunately, a lot of "growing medium" based on peat or decomposed vegetable waste, once dry, "rejects" the water ... It is therefore necessary to "soak" for a long enough time, for it to rewet. ..

3) Lesson: always "dig" the root ball and do the test described. To garden, you have to touch and manipulate the earth ...

There are worried people who water too much. Few plants resist a "rice field". Hence rot. The leaves also dry out. People water even more, which only makes the situation worse.

Others are rather the type to water little. With the phenomenon described here: the earth does not get wet anymore, the water flows through and the plant also dries up ...

There, soaking is an easy solution. Every 8 days, in growth period, half an hour in water; no cup (or just to avoid the trace on the ground, but I mean no water in the cup).

It may be useful to mix sandy soil with the growing medium ("potting soil" or "peat"). This facilitates the circulation of water and the rewetting of organic "particles"!

4) You cut the dry branches. Those who have no leaves. You start in small pieces, until latex runs out.

He will start from the living parts and will restructure.

5) I guarantee that you can even cut the few main stems halfway up and that the ficus will reject.

If it is a little "stripped", completely deagrié at the bottom with just tufts at the top, you can "lower it".

Unceremoniously

And even you put the living ends in the ground, in a clod to keep moderately humid, and you will have lots of ficus!

I guarantee it and promise you.

Appointment in a few weeks / months?

6) A little fertilizer only when growing again!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 16/05/14, 21:30

laure06 wrote:
Cross our fingers so that Georgette does not die!

It is guaranteed! No worries. I "resuscitated" a completely dry ficus. Plus a leaf. Apparently dead. 4 cuts of secateurs on the 4 main stems at about 30 or 40 cm from the ground: eureka, more latex! Modest watering: no growth, maintain slightly damp, like a seedling.

Today it is a completely normal ficus. Apart from its slightly bizarre shape because even some large branches were dry ...

If you decide to prune it hard, take the opportunity to put it outside, if you have room. The new leaves will not get "sunburned" if they grow in the sun! Summer alone. Fear the frost!

Regular watering then with a water jet!
Last edited by Did67 the 17 / 05 / 14, 09: 12, 1 edited once.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/05/14, 09:09

And one last piece of advice for living happily and cuddly in the shade of a huge ficus tree:

a) he does not like changes of place (in fact of light conditions); it is as if he had to change his "solar collectors" (his leaves) ... So don't be surprised if he drops many - if not all - of his leaves when you move him; do not over-react, or worry: just keep it slightly damp; water requirements are reduced - do not transform the pot into rice field; be patient, new leaves will soon emerge and adapt the watering ...

Except "drowning" (rice field soil) and a few rare root diseases, a ficus rarely dies ... Even if it has lost all its leaves, if there is still latex, it is because it is alive, he resuscitates; Just don't drown!

b) it is a general rule: adapt the watering to the needs ("activity") of the plant: growth, heat, etc ... And not the other way around: think that by watering, ceal will make it grow. .

Hence the importance of the "pot" and its substrate: this is the "stock" (water, nutrients); it is on this stock that the plant will live its life and consume. Reasonable jadrinage is just ... renewing the stock.

Many more plants are "killed" by too much watering than they die from lack of water. Except in rare cases (bosaïs for example, some very sensitive or very exposed plants), the lack of water is signified by wilting; you correct by a tempage (attention the blow of the water which crosses without wetting) and here is your plant again not all splendor ...

[this is of course valid for everyday life; not for 15 days of vacation with green plants in full sun in front of a window!]
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/05/14, 19:27

Christophe wrote:After years of struggle, I just lost mine, this time definitely I think ... chemical fertilizer sticks have not changed anything at all.

It started like you: yellow leaves, then less and less leaves ...

Finally, it's a real mess to keep fit a ficus!

ps: use our image host if you want to recover. Thank you.

You did not come back ...

What are the symptoms?

Have you "unpacked": always start by seeing what is happening in the ground!

Have you pruned small branches towards large trunks? Have you arrived on white sap (latex) ???

If so, I don't have a picture, but I have known this (by negligence - a ficus entirely "dead" in appearance; and which is resurrected! (Of course, with breakage, the dead branches did not resuscitated; but cerla leaves the base)!

For me, a ficus is "indestructible" - even if it loses its leaves for nothing!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/05/14, 11:46

No, I never deposited it.

He had already risen last year after losing all the leaves, but this time I think he's cooked ...

I still wait some time before giving it up.

ps: a cat used it in litter (against my sandstone !!!) for a while! Not sure it did him any good ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/05/14, 12:07

Christophe wrote:
I think it's cooked ...

I still wait some time before giving it up.

ps: a cat used it in litter (against my sandstone !!!) for a while! Not sure it did him any good ...

1) Take the pruning shears test (can be done with a cutting knife): you cut by ends, starting at the end. As long as there is no latex leaking, it is dead. You continue. As soon as there is latex, you stop!

If you arrive at pot height, all you have to do is start a fire with your twigs. And there, indeed, it's dead !!! (can happen after a freeze!).

If in the middle of the "trunk" (s), there is still latex, that's fine. You stop cutting! And it will start again on the side!

2) In this 2nd case, you depote and you take a look at what is happening underground ...

If the cat has pissed, I advise you to turn the earth: too much urea can harm indeed and ... there is the smell!

You rinse bluntly: jet!

Eventually, you untangle the skeins (not the skeins!) Of roots; you can also prune. In any case, cut what is dead there too.

In this case (pruning / cutting of roots), after repotting, allow to dry a little (one week) so that it heals ...

3) Once repotted, after this healing period, moisten without excess. The best: a good soaking for 5 to 10 minutes, then let it drain! No cup.

Beware of the phenomenon of "surface tension", with the water which does not penetrate into a peat / soil that is too dry (like in a Goretex!) But flows through - see the testimony of our friend laure (typical!).

4) Put in the light and ... wait !!!

Maintain the growing medium very slightly wet (you take a ball in the middle of the pot: if you clench your fist, no water flow! Just a slightly wet ball like a pressed sponge)

toujours if there is still latex, I would be very very surprised that with this treatment, you will not have a nice regrowth soon.

It is indestructible: I put "pieces of wood" (after having pruned a ficus benjamina; I cut at an angle at both ends; thick as a finger ... not a leaf, not a root) in the ground; they almost all "took"; it is today my collection of "bonsaïs".
0 x

Back to "Garden: landscaping, plants, garden, ponds and pools"