Questions about flower meadow.

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
taam
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Questions about flower meadow.

by taam » 28/04/20, 12:18

Thank you Did for this message.
Ouch ... then the yield will be low.
How should we do to have a beautiful flowery meadow of the sloth?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/04/20, 17:18

Did I understand correctly or incorrectly: you were starting from "bare ground" or you wanted to make a lawn that was not sufficiently "flowered" ...

In bare ground, it will rise.

I was talking about an "overseeding" to enrich the flora.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/04/20, 17:22

My "flowery pariarie" is just a lot of laziness: a single mowing very late (normally October - this year, it was in March of year n + 1). And a lot of patience. This will "slide" towards a floristic composition in which there will be more and more native flowers: those which correspond exactly to your climate and your soil. And who is in symbiosis with the local fauna! So it's sustainable ...

Please note: one mowing per year (or, better: alternate two zones, one which is not mowed in year n will be mowed in year n + 1, that which was mowed in year n, will not be in year n + 1: many insects overwinter in tall grass and are slaughtered even with late mowing; with the alternation, half survives, reproduces in summer, invades everything, and it starts again ...) . But without mowing, very quickly the brambles settle (bird scum), it becomes a wasteland, then, ten years later, you have pioneer trees ... Naturally, in our climates, without human action, it evolves into a forest!
0 x
taam
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by taam » 28/04/20, 18:02

You understood correctly, it is not a bare ground but a lawn that I am letting live in lazy that I become.
I "heal" myself while admiring nature take over rather than not bear to see one stem higher than the other, and in the end a ground toasted by the sun.

As I am far from being healed by years of dogma, I wanted to act again by coloring this green mass a little with a few flowers (like the flowered lawns of municipal gardeners here, but they are not paid for anything. ..)

Currently the crickets are overjoyed and make an incredible din in this meadow. Only the human neighbors do not understand (I am in town) some ask me if I am well, as for the real estate agents, they smell the good blow of the old man who does not arrive there any more : Wink:

By the way I paste here my question asked on the vegetable patch (having deprived my lawn of its own seeds, I wanted to optimize this reconquest)
Currently the grass is tall and very green, the seeds clearly visible.
In the natural process, when are these seeds ready to resow a meadow?
Looking forward to reading you.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/04/20, 19:20

taam wrote:
... this green mass with a few flowers (like the flowered lawns of municipal gardeners here, but they are not paid for anything ...)

Attention, in general, the "flowered meadows" of the cities are in fact a mixture of ornamental plants (especially annuals) ... With often a lot of weeds (chenopods, sow thistles ...) ... general, redone every year.

It is anything but a "flowery meadow".

Example of composition, given at random:

Fabric
- Common concern
- Blueberry centaury
- Cosmos sulfureus
- Bract immortal
- Zinnia elegans
- Black sorghum
- Oilseed flax
- Dye coreopsis
- Varied tall marigold
-Dahlia

https://agrifournitures.fr/melanges-pra ... 1c88d68900

Tell me which one is in a "natural" meadow ??? [There is one, even if it was more frequent in the fields, before "disappearing" almost like the poppy ...]

But you know very well that you have to delude the city dweller, make him believe that he is connected with nature ... That the countryside has come to town! It is a subtle work of landscapers on our repressed desires.

These "meadows" are no more meadows than urban agriculture is an option for feeding cities ... They "feed" very little local entomofauna - these large exaggerated flowers do not interest any serious forager. Outside the city dweller!

But city dwellers believe it.

So go and spend millions!

[It had been a long time since I had given a rant. This is not for you. It's a "general reflection", on the occasion of your post!]
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/04/20, 19:26

taam wrote:By the way I paste here my question asked on the vegetable patch (having deprived my lawn of its own seeds, I wanted to optimize this reconquest)
Currently the grass is tall and very green, the seeds clearly visible.
In the natural process, when are these seeds ready to resow a meadow?
Looking forward to reading you.

When the plant, or inflorescence (grouping of flowers) begins to dry out.

Rub in your hands: if bine seeds made, dry, come off, it's good ...

It seems early to me - even if the dandelions have already made their seed "balls" with parachutes!

Maturation, like flowering, is a continuous process until winter ... The species will succeed one another.

Warning: take into account that most of these seeds are dormant, and do not germinate immediately. They will first spend the summer and then the winter. Drought, cold, etc ... will "transform" them and give them the ability to germinate.

And beware again: the incredible prolificity of plants (often thousands of seeds) is only there to compensate for the low early success! In a meadow not balanced, only one seed will replace the foot when it dies! While this one will have produced thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands. A very stupid law of nature!
0 x
taam
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by taam » 29/04/20, 11:38

Thank you for all this information!
I have the impression that the seeds of herbs remain attached to their stems unlike that of dandelions.
Maybe they fall little by little, before the stem dries?
By the way, when you cover your vegetable garden, does it not automatically sow the meadow?

Here is my meadow, purple and yellow at the moment and only where the grass is low.
29-04-20.JPG
29-04-20.JPG (149.98 KB) Viewed 4088 times
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/04/20, 12:19

There, they are real "meadow plants": purple clover and horned lottier ...
1 x
taam
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by taam » 29/04/20, 12:51

I had recognized the petals of the clover, but then for the yellow flower ..., thank you I quickly take note : Idea:
0 x
taam
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by taam » 29/04/20, 13:13

I didn't have my eyes in front of the holes, there is something else in bloom in the meadow after the rain, 40 cm higher ... and with people on the balcony who don't care about the guy with the lens.
Attachments
flower + insect.JPG
flower + insect.JPG (58.79 KB) Viewed 4075 times
0 x

Back to "Garden: landscaping, plants, garden, ponds and pools"