Improve biodiversity in the garden: islands of wild life!

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
antoine67120
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Improving biodiversity in the garden: islands of wild life!

by antoine67120 » 20/02/20, 01:46

I oscillate between jealousy of the great outdoors and respectful admiration for these non-tropical jungles ...

"Responsible" for a small city garden (550 m²) half torn from the asphalt (it was necessary to access the garage) and half from the cobblestones (it must be clean), I am divided between the desire to do my part of micro-hummingbirds and the desire to have exteriors sufficiently anthropized to be livable.

There is a subject.

Without cutting corners, it is more easily negotiable with yourself (and without counting children) leaving a wasteland of 50% of the surface when it is large. I already find it difficult to place a correctly exposed vegetable patch, I also have the overcuidance of wanting a terrace.

There is also the aesthetic dimension, it is hard to hide something from his gaze within 10 meters ...

I have identified the following levers for action:
0 / of course neither pesticides nor phytosanitary
1 / abandon the mower on a 1.5m strip around the edge of the garden planted mainly with local hedges (and only mainly mea maxima culpa).
2 / leave a mess in this area (large stones from the creation of a vegetable patch, branches that do not fit in the crusher, etc.)
3 / favor the number and variety of plant species at the expense of their size, try to have nourishing species for humans and / or animals
4 / put an insect house in a corner to be called a "bobo"

I will be very interested to have your suggestions - and in particular those of Did67, neighbor whom I have just listened to in Duppigheim.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/02/20, 10:37

If my ideas are quite "square" (therefore lacking in nuance), I am also convinced that to live is to compromise!

And this is the reason for my insistence on not disseminating models, but just "ideas". Whether everyone owns it or not. According to its constraints.

Your post is a perfect illustration! So I would say that my conf was successful given this result: you think about your "system". And you are looking for your compromises.

I didn't say it, I think, to Duppigheim: don't get angry with your relatives for a difference of appreciation; do not get angry with your neighbors for a "mess" story in the vegetable garden ...

I would rather be 100 of us moving a little, which they can, than 000 living as hermits in a corner of the "jungle" (because in such and such a corner of the middle mountains, it's easy - but there are 100 of them. 10 to live in such a corner; but millions in the peri-urban). The impact of 000 “suburban” vegetable gardens with “biodiversity” will be much larger. Even if this is only the "least worst compromise we have reached" ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/02/20, 10:43

antoine67120 wrote:
I have identified the following levers for action:
0 / of course neither pesticides nor phytosanitary
1 / abandon the mower on a 1.5m strip around the edge of the garden planted mainly with local hedges (and only mainly mea maxima culpa).
2 / leave a mess in this area (large stones from the creation of a vegetable patch, branches that do not fit in the crusher, etc.)
3 / favor the number and variety of plant species at the expense of their size, try to have nourishing species for humans and / or animals
4 / put an insect house in a corner to be called a "bobo"

0) Yes - and not dogmatically refrain from the "less worst": Ferramol, Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) in case of absolute necessity, especially during an installation phase; or even "biocontrol" (use of auxiliaries, such as certain nematodes, etc.); not harvesting anything is bitter and can lead to dropping ...
1) OK. You will see how amazing it is the number of insects you will have on it; and teach your children to recognize them (I recommend Vincent Albouy's book - "Gardening with insects")
2) Very good
3) Very good
4) I also don't care about the conference because I want to make the public aware that "having a successful vegetable garden" does not first go through the box "buying stuff from the garden center"; there is a detoxification mission to be carried out; but especially in an educational context (children, schools), this has virtues, of course!
0 x
antoine67120
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by antoine67120 » 20/02/20, 23:38

4) I also don't care about the conference because I want to make the public aware that "having a successful vegetable garden" does not first go through the box "buying stuff from the garden center"; there is a detoxification mission to be carried out; but especially in an educational context (children, schools), this has virtues, of course!

... and it is a commendable remark but I invite you to reflect on the evolution of the use of the word boho - this is not the subject of this forum, though ...

In any case, strongly the beginning of hostilities in gardening, this end of winter which is too mild to be honest is a test of patience.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 21/02/20, 09:56

Yes. For "bobo", you are right. I am misusing it. I'll perfect that! There is a part of "spectacle", to hold the audience for more than 3 hours. With the exaggerations ...
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 21/02/20, 12:27

Did67 wrote:Yes. For "bobo", you are right. I am misusing it. I'll perfect that! There is a part of "spectacle", to hold the audience for more than 3 hours. With the exaggerations ...

A red nose and Charlot's hat with a counterfeit voice, perhaps? (I go out).
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Did67

by Did67 » 23/02/20, 09:16

I see what Antoine means ... My confs are "improvised" around a powerpoint which serves as a guide. Some evenings, such an obsession comes back. In Duppigheim, conf to which Antoine alludes, it was "bobos". In the true sense of the term ("bourgeois bohème"), completely against the job!
0 x
antoine67120
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by antoine67120 » 26/02/20, 01:18

Frankly your intervention was very interesting (although cruel for the workers in the morning) but I can not more of the term "bobo".

For some it is the interchangeable synonym with 'Islamo-leftist' and I do not think that we need to talk about it.

For others, it is the accusatory label of a certain "return to the land" of an urban population, well-off, somewhat cut off from rural reality, often gullible but not mean. I find it nasty to stigmatize people raised on fish sticks and frozen vegetables and who are back to cooking, seasonal and local (except their tofu, goji berries, chia seeds, etc.).

Yes, all my friends have their insect hotel, their AMAP basket, their subscription to Alsace Nature and absolutely stupid preconceived ideas about what is a local hedge, organic farming and in general everything that comes out of the middle of the finance and communication. However, they are not malicious and are the solvent engines of an ongoing transition.

I happened to be raised in an environment where watering the garden, storing preserves and gleaning in the corn fields for the farmyard was compulsory; I thank my father again for teaching me the name of weeds and the taste of tomatoes, but we are not all lucky enough to have a father with boots full of mud.

I still have an insect hotel. Homemade with scrap from work pallets and valleys (yes valleys) made with scraps from roofing works. And there are lots of bumblebees in it. Even lacewings.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/02/20, 09:34

Stigmatizing is never good ...

On the other hand, what are they doing, these people (how to call them?) Vis-à-vis the farmers ??? They are embarrassed ???

So turning their reasoning against them is something that seems healthy to me! Even if in fact, any form of humor is not always healthy if it is not understood as humor.

Now my one night mood is rubbing off on my confs. This one, obviously, I was very "anti-bobo" (without realizing it). And I was very long (it was one of the first after the long truce to write my second book, an exercise from which I came out exhausted), I got a little lost ...

But be careful not to "reverse" the meaning of my sentences. They are generally precise. I have nothing against insect hotels. Nor against compost (as a material).

I say that it is not enough to set up an insect hotel to believe that we are gardening with nature. That we did something good. To "garden differently". It takes a much finer understanding of a system. In which an insect hotel does not change much. Of course, it does not harm. Except in the wallet when you buy it.

Because the error, and this is what I denounce (sorry if it did not go like that!), Is that we can be the victim of the same trap as conventional gardeners: applying a new method that makes the happiness of garden centers. Without having fundamentally changed things if we continue to put borders, to fight (with "organic" products) against the first aphid seen, to mow every Saturday, etc ...

So yes, this statement is quite violent for people who came to look for simple recipes, supposed to confirm their ... beliefs!
0 x
antoine67120
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by antoine67120 » 26/02/20, 10:15

I think I will stop posting after the watered evenings ...
0 x