Which fast-growing tree species in a garden to have the equivalent of 0.5 to 1 stere of wood per year?

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Christophe

Which fast-growing tree species in a garden to have the equivalent of 0.5 to 1 stere of wood per year?

by Christophe » 03/01/22, 18:21

Someone would have an idea of ​​what can be planted as a fast growing plant in a garden that provides the energy equivalent of 0.5 and 1 cubic meter of wood each year (like beech wood) and what area would be needed. (I have about 5 acres of available space)?

In other words I am looking for one (or more) plants which allow me to produce the energy equivalent of a maximum of 1 cubic meter every year and which would grow back on its own once pruned annually.

Willows (I already have some) seem to me quite a candidate ... but there are surely better!

I had tested the miscanthus years ago without much success ... apparently I was not the only one to be disappointed since we don't hear too much about it:

biofuels / heating-with-miscanthus-biomass-boiler-t9240.html
biofuels / elephant-grass-miscanthus-giganteus-au-jt-t3929.html

Take your brain! 8) 8) 8)

Photo of a possible location:

ps: I'm in the Ardennes ... so a lot of water but fairly harsh winters ...
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Fast growing plant in a garden to have the equivalent of 0.5 to 1 cubic meter of wood per year?

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 03/01/22, 18:49

If you have a fleet (Yes, since you have willows), poplar is a good candidate. Linden and maple too.
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Fast growing plant in a garden to have the equivalent of 0.5 to 1 cubic meter of wood per year?

by humus » 03/01/22, 19:27

Maybe the tadpole pruned ash to harvest every 3 years?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/01/22, 20:17

Eucalyptus gunii would be a good candidate, but its limited frost resistance probably does not allow it to be considered. Poplar and willow, but also acacia ... The latter is in my opinion the best and most productive firewood, but it has thorns, especially in the juvenile stage ...
The project is marred by an area limitation which risks generating a lot of inconvenience in the long term, because they are all trees with strong development, especially in height. The idea of ​​cutting them down annually would only allow the production of very small timber (in diameter) and if you wait for a certain maturity, you will quickly come up against complicated operating conditions ...
2 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 03/01/22, 20:21

It is true that the acacia (the false, the black locust) is an excellent firewood.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 03/01/22, 20:36

We are all fren and yet I heard someone say: the maple trees outside : Mrgreen:
2 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/01/22, 20:45

Macro, maybe it is those who fear for their birch?

Guy, the locust tree (sorry for the local term!) has a growth rate quite close to that of willow or poplar, but its energy density is much higher.
For me the most obvious concern remains the irrelevance of an energy culture in a restricted and urban environment, unless you limit yourself to producing bundles, in which case it is better to forget the locust ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 03/01/22, 20:52

I don't know what it's worth in heating, but my lime trees have a very rapid growth in oars
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/01/22, 21:00

It is a soft hardwood, therefore with a fairly low density ... What matters is the quantity of material; thus, in wood pellets (pellets), the distinction between dense wood and light wood no longer holds, since everything is reduced to the same density.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/01/22, 00:24

Thank you friends I did not expect so many proposals in such a short time ... 8)

So I have willows ...what would be the most productive pruning technique in terms of lignite?

Because often the willows it rises quickly and high but without really making any combustible material other than small wood ...

My question is not in the wind because I have just cut 2 trees which will allow the regrowth of an old willow which has been struggling for years. I believe that a birch also grew in this place ...

Photos of the construction site tomorrow and the possibilities on the ground ...

Otherwise I have a lot of hazelnuts… it grows quickly too and they seem to like the environment but you have to wait a long time to have anything other than kindling!

I'll see if I can find locust ... and the other species on offer and if they are compatible with my climate and the soil.
0 x