Which fast-growing tree species in a garden to have the equivalent of 0.5 to 1 stere of wood per year?

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Fast growing plant in a garden to have the equivalent of 0.5 to 1 cubic meter of wood per year?

by Ahmed » 04/01/22, 18:29

In my great magnanimity, I grant you my plenary indulgence this time, but that I do not take you back! : Evil: : Lol:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Fast growing plant in a garden to have the equivalent of 0.5 to 1 cubic meter of wood per year?

by humus » 04/01/22, 18:30

Ahmed wrote:Obviously, the coppicing is faster, since there is no time necessary for the formation of the trunk ...

Yes, seen like that. : Lol:
but what if the tree already has a trunk? (my case)
I cut it at the base and then cut the coppice or I leave the trunk all the time, what will make more regrowth wood?
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 04/01/22, 18:31

Ahmed wrote:In my great magnanimity, I grant you my plenary indulgence this time, but that I do not take you back! : Evil: : Lol:

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/01/22, 18:31

It had been a long time since I had learned so many concrete and intelligent things so quickly about a subject of the forum !!

(And the other con of LaREMde Lemaire who doesn't even know what a ha! Ah sorry, it's the fault of my mental inertia of covid subjects ...)

From my little experience, recepage works very well with willows ... it is indestructible (those in the photos are from a flush cut made in 2008 + several severe pruning since)!

But this technique does not work with conifers ... where the tadpole cut allows you to have 2 tassels ... I had done it with 1 of the 2 that I just fell ...
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 04/01/22, 18:33

Christophe wrote:It had been a long time since I had learned so many concrete and intelligent things so quickly about a subject of the forum !!

Roh, don't you miss him a little? : Lol:
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 04/01/22, 19:06

Christophe wrote:It had been a long time since I had learned so many concrete and intelligent things so quickly about a subject of the forum !!

If it's not indiscreet, what exactly do you want to do with this half or this stere? I understood that it was for energy use, but what more?
Because even the 50mm in diameter (what we are talking about above, in my opinion not obvious in 3 years), it's still not much, unless your goal is just to make an outbreak from time to time for the pleasure of the eyes and a little heat stroke. If it is really for heating, the burning time of branches of this size in a stove is still very limited.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/01/22, 19:09

Humus: it must be fairly equivalent, but I don't know exactly ... The choice between these two approaches must also take into account other objectives, such as aesthetics or shading ...

Christophe, it does not work with most conifers in the "area", but very well with redwood sempervirens or, more widespread, yew. Others, rarer in our region, also have this ability.
Last edited by Ahmed the 04 / 01 / 22, 19: 19, 2 edited once.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/01/22, 19:15

sicetaitsimple wrote:

If it's not indiscreet, what exactly do you want to do with this half or this stere? I understood that it was for energy use, but what more?
Because even the 50mm in diameter (what we are talking about above, in my opinion not obvious in 3 years), it's still not much, unless your goal is just to make an outbreak from time to time for the pleasure of the eyes and a little heat stroke. If it is really for heating, the burning time of branches of this size in a stove is still very limited.

But still ... bin less than 1 cubic meter is what I need per year ... I apologize to your employers for having optimized my energy performance ... : Mrgreen:

50 mm some willows that I have here do it in 3 years without worry (diameter at the base we understand) ... We will already see in 1 year what gives the "cauliflower" released ...

I'm looking to get Robinia plants ... I called my plumber, he didn't have any ... I'm going out : Lol:
1 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 04/01/22, 19:26

Ahmed wrote:Humus: it must be fairly equivalent, but I don't know exactly ... The choice between these two approaches must also take into account other objectives, such as aesthetics or shading ...

Yes there may be other criteria.
At home I do not prune them as a tadpole but contain them with a classic tree shape for shading, blackout power and aesthetics.
It must be purely psychological, but it bothers me to cut down a tree flush to coppice.
With a trunk of even 1m, it remains a tree. : Lol:

Would have to do the comparative experiment : Arrow: have room to lose and not be in a hurry : Lol:
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 04/01/22, 21:43

Christophe wrote:50 mm some willows that I have here do it in 3 years without worry (diameter at the base we understand each other) ...

Yes, diameter at the base, but it is difficult to cut the base alone without recovering wood of 40,30 or 20 mm ....
Forget it, it doesn't matter (at least for me!), But a cubic meter of logs of 80mm or more does not do the same service in a stove as a cubic meter of "kindling" of less than 50, even if the power calorific is the same, that's just what I wanted to point out.
0 x