Construction of a shelter, house, birdhouse in Chauves-Souris

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Christophe

Re: Construction of a house (hotel) in Chauves-Souris

by Christophe » 13/06/18, 01:03

Indeed Did67, 34 species in France ... even the Pipistrelles are not just one species ...

Good tomorrow I attack the assembly of my 1st shelter, I will show you the photos, maybe a video ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/06/18, 21:00

I made an inventory of available materials:

- 1 euro pallet 120x80 cm
- 1 multiplex panel, 2 cm thick
- A lot of falling boards and wooden slats
- 2 PIR 80mm insulation panels (for thermal insulation?)
- 1 roll of roof bitumen 5 mm
- Various hardware

I am thinking of using the euro pallet as a "structure" and the multiplex panel as walls of closures and internal partitions (the available useful space, thickness of the pallet is 105 mm - 2 * 20 mm this leaves 65/3 = 22 mm thickness useful for flying mammals)

The first question is therefore whether I use the palette vertically or horizontally? Most shots are taller than wide so I assume vertical use is better ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/06/18, 00:13

You see big.
We recommend several small shelters in different places, it is they who choose : Wink:
Another plan http://www.sfepm.org/NuitChauveSouris/i ... osBATS.pdf

and other tips https://auvergne-rhone-alpes.lpo.fr/nos ... ves-souris
http://gmb.bzh/une-biologie-originale/

Regional gites https://www.sfepm.org/refugepourleschau ... ionaux.htm

In Belgium they are not outdone: 24 species in Wallonia http://biodiversite.wallonie.be/fr/nos- ... l?IDC=5579
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/06/18, 10:46

Christophe wrote:I made an inventory of available materials:

- 1 euro pallet 120x80 cm
- 1 multiplex panel, 2 cm thick
- A lot of falling boards and wooden slats
- 2 PIR 80mm insulation panels (for thermal insulation?)
- 1 roll of roof bitumen 5 mm
- Various hardware

Just pay attention to VOC fumes and possible treatments, etc.

I don't think it is useful to insulate - my cladding is not at all, even if, on one side there is the cladding, on the other the wall which has its thermal inertia . I think you have to press the system against a sufficient wall.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/06/18, 11:28

izentrop wrote:You see big.

Yes this is what I said to myself too, the neighborhood should not become Gotham City (hihihihi) then a euro-pallet hung at 3 or 4 m high it will not be very discreet ... Well I will review my lower ambitions! : Cheesy:

Half a pallet would that be fine? : Cheesy: Well yes I like to recover and transform ...

Did67 wrote:Just pay attention to VOC fumes and possible treatments, etc.

Yes I have read this, the multiplex I would like to use is over 20 years old and has been stored outside, so I think its emissions are "stabilized" ... well, rather nil ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/06/18, 22:24

Here are the advances of the day, I tried to make it simpler and more robust! Good for the moment it's not very beautiful but it's Work In Progress eh!

The 2 central boards are deliberately not put in place and offset to better understand.

bats_souris_palette.jpg
chauves_souris_palette.jpg (186.28 KiB) Consulted 4943 times

bats_souris_palette_3.jpg
chauves_souris_palette_3.jpg (355.05 KiB) Consulted 4943 times

explanations:

a) Template on a little more than a 1/2 euro-pallet: 67x80 cm, the front plate is 67x80 cm, the rear plate (not on the photos) 67x110 cm (80 + 20 cm airstrip and + 10 cm slope for the roof)
b) 2 interior planks in 20mm multiplex of 38x85 cm which will be fixed on the pallet studs at the ends (hence the 5cm in addition to the 80 cm) with square slats of 2x2 cm
c) the multiplex (old paint) will be sanded before mounting in the internal parts
d) the available interior space is at least 10,5 cm (between the boards of the pallet, more if not) which will leave 3 spaces of approximately 2 cm (10,5 - 4) / 3
e) I will try to make the central space a little wider, 3 or 4 cm since this one is of fixed width
f) I still have to cut the closures on the sides and the roof
g) a bitumen finish will be applied outdoors (old roller also stabilized on VOC and PAH side ...)

And some questions:

1) Do you think that it is necessary to plug the spaces between the studs (4 in all)?
bats_souris_palette_2.jpg
chauves_souris_palette_2.jpg (389.37 KiB) Consulted 4943 times

2) Are streaks with a simple screwdriver sufficient or do you need deeper ones?

3) Do you have to make holes in the central boards? Some advise it? If I do not block the inter-stud spaces, they can go through the sides to go from one space to another ...

ps: the pallet is more than 3 years old, I think that the VOCs of the studs are also stabilized ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/06/18, 23:09

Christophe wrote:1) Do you think that it is necessary to plug the spaces between the studs (4 in all)?
The French Society for the Study and Protection of Mammals suggests covering the top and sides with tarpaulin http://www.sfepm.org/NuitChauveSouris/i ... osBATS.pdf
Christophe wrote:2) Are streaks with a simple screwdriver sufficient or do you need deeper ones?
The wood grain seems to be in the vertical direction, it should be in the horizontal direction so that their claws can hang.
They do not advise sanding. You can remove the paint with a wire brush in the direction of the wood and make a few streaks with a handsaw.
Swiss tips: https://blog.homegate.ch/fr/chauves-sou ... us-avises/
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/06/18, 23:25

izentrop wrote:
Christophe wrote:1) Do you think that it is necessary to plug the spaces between the studs (4 in all)?
The French Society for the Study and Protection of Mammals suggests covering the top and sides with tarpaulin

Yes that is planned see g) (and it is precisely a tarred roofing that I have) but there I was talking about the interior design.

That is to say, the 4 spaces between the chipboard studs on the pallet. We can see 2 on the 1st photo.

Ie spaces which will be inside the habitat once the structure is closed ...

In other words it will make 4 spaces larger than the inter-board spaces and this will allow the occupants to move from one space to another, but thermally it will make more convection ... That is why I ask your opinion.

Ok for stripping and streaks.

Another question: can a bat hotel accommodate several breeds at the same time? (biological compatibility?)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/06/18, 23:32

Good as a drawing (even with the feet) is better than 1000 words:

bats_souris_palette.jpg
chauves_souris_palette.jpg (210.2 KiB) Consulted 4939 times
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/06/18, 23:47

I don't know, if not studies are done, here is one http://fileadmin.natagora.be/fileadmin/ ... choirs.pdf, or they tested several types of nest boxes over 10 years.

In Quebec, they call for donations to save their bats http://nature-action.qc.ca/site/chauves ... x-citoyens

Edit yes, butcher (that's what I understood) and leave only the bottom open, although when they nest in a hollow tree, the question does not arise. : Wink:
0 x