aluminum welding a footpegs Honda VFR platinum: ok or not?

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/12/11, 12:44

Ben actually the footrest is on pivot: a return spring keeps it horizontal. I do not know precisely the usefulness of this pivot: turns with a lot of angle? Bad ...

During the fall, if the footrest had been vertical, I do not think that the part would have broken and therefore it would have absorbed the energy elsewhere and I would surely have said goodbye to my right fairing and the bill would have been much much more salty ... with very little chance of finding the part of the same color and in used condition (and may be new as well since model more manufactured for 12 years !!)!

This is why I think that this break was "planned" ... : Idea:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/12/11, 13:05

So pack in cotton and rubber !!!
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 15/12/11, 13:34

So you replaced it or not your turntable?
It happened to me exactly the same thing on my ER-5 Kawa, the solution was a machining and a threaded rod with a solid tightening on both sides to assemble the 2 pieces.
Last edited by sen-no-sen the 15 / 12 / 11, 13: 35, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/12/11, 13:34

Ah ah ah, for the moment we know how to pack the biker with air bag but not yet the motorcycle ...

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/12/11, 13:36

sen-no-sen wrote:And suddenly you replace it or not your turntable?
It happened to me exactly the same thing on my ER-5 Kawa, the solution was a machining and a threaded rod with a solid tightening on both sides to assemble the 2 pieces.

Yep, hey, follow this a little :)

The news has gone up for a few days already ... and I'm waiting for chatelot's response to send him the broken part to try to reweld!

I had thought of bolting (1st idea but not obvious on this piece), I might have been tempted on a basic but not on a VFR granny ... which is still worth its weight in peanuts! (not to mention potential bodily harm)
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/12/11, 14:07

dedeleco wrote:very visible on this bridge, reinforced on the anchors the piers, break points with maximum moment, which without this reinforcement, would not hold (huge lever arms otherwise), like the broken part:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont

Uh ... Nothing to see its analogy!

There is a bridge in "prestressed"! We have the same above Montreux:
http://dgcwww.epfl.ch/Guide_des_ponts/a ... HILLON.HTM

It has STRICTLY nothing to do ... PROOF is that Dedelco knows nothing about it!

Besides I do not see where (?) - even proportionally - would be such worn on the broken part : roll:

Dedelco: has "techonlogical fantasies", that's it ? : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: ... should be consulted ...

Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) wrote:The carrier system

The construction of the viaducts [...] was planned in the form of two continuous beams in prestressed concrete each supported by 22 batteries 92, 98 or 104 meters apart

The setting in “pre-stress” of the beams, has this particular to make so that opposite forces (ie stresses) are canceled at the moment when they meet in an opposite way! A bit like a spring that we would compress, so that it comes to recover to its initial "natural" shape when we pull on it ... (with a force calculated accordingly ...) It would therefore be necessary that Dedelco explains to us, what is the relationship with this broken piece of aluminum, in terms of the static charges it has suffered: we would like to know ( : Cheesy: )

Without waiting for his explanations - more and more idle - we can therefore easily deduce that it is very false! Aluminum was not "prestressed», Since it's just a foundry piece!

If Dedelco had had the minimum of knowledge required, he would NEVER have used this type of example, which is absolutely not suited to such an analogy. His words are therefore pure sham.

Macro wrote: [...] this kind of motorcycle is designed with a pitiless hunting for the grams that together make up the pounds ...The section of the part and the triangular design of the arms supporting the weight of the pilot surpass the standards imposed in industrial framework. : Cheesy:

Correct Macro!

dedeleco wrote:macro was right to put the photo of the motorcycle [...] breaking the part at its fastener

He says so ... but he doesn't admit it ...!

Ouch, ouch, ouch like Dedelco recover what Macro said for his benefit ... there it is really broom! It's crazy how he clings to his mistake of "lever arm"...

Even though later, he admits a break "To his fastener"... so no "leverage". CQFD!

... but devil where is the range reported by analogy to a bridge built in prestressed concrete ... Dedelco makes you look after ...

In any case, it is always completely false! : Mrgreen: : Cheesy:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/12/11, 14:33

We don't care about the prestressed, fairly subsidiary, just to allow bridges with phenomenal range, by making the concrete work always in compression (much more resistant like the steel used), but the lever effects are unchanged (very visible in the photos of girder bridges) !!
The bridges and the Roman pantheons were not prestressed, with less span, but the same rules of leverage !!! (moments of inertia after integration on the beam section)

The aluminum part is not prestressed concrete but comes under the simple law of levers.

Obamot refuses elementary evidence, because he has not assimilated the most elementary bases of Archimedes' common sense.

With the farted attachment, well anchored, the lever arm is maximum !! between the supports.

Look out.
Last edited by dedeleco the 15 / 12 / 11, 14: 43, 1 edited once.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 15/12/11, 14:42

For info: this piece is fixed to the cedar by only two screws the two other holes in the upper part are used to hold the rear brake master cylinder, the clevis is used to hold the footrest, and the axis behind the chappe is used as a pivot has the brake pedal. Never in normal situation, this part has to support the weight of the bike. it is designed to support the weight of the driver (and again to support the full weight of the driver must be standing and one-legged).

And actually Christophe the footrests fold up to be able to allow you to take a little more angle ... Under those of my Gps there are even small blind screws of wear to have fun making sparks (very beautiful effect at night for the friend who happens to follow you) ...

It is a pity that I no longer have the photos of my old ninja with her 4in1 devil recharged with solder and her underside of footrest completely puffed up after a night of arsouille : Cheesy:
Last edited by Macro the 15 / 12 / 11, 14: 52, 1 edited once.
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/12/11, 14:46

This is clear, especially for the weight amplified by the lever effect and the inertia of the slowly falling motorcycle, which makes this fastener fart with maximum forces (constraints).
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 15/12/11, 15:00

For me ... If there was nothing to block this piece in the back .. the place where she farted was the place where the lever arm was minimum ... The point of maximum effort lying at the level of the two bindings on the frame ..
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...

Back to "failure, troubleshooting and repair: repair yourself? "