Problem on Toshiba satellite PC

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Problem on Toshiba satellite PC

by Obamot » 14/08/21, 00:37

Macro wrote:It was offered to me for ... My 40th birthday ... So it has been running for almost 10 years ..... Without worries until (except 3 batteries the first under warranty) .... No liquid on the keyboard and its power supply which melted ...

I picked up a brand new keyboard at my job ... I'm going to try this ... I have to find a way to deactivate the main one at startup and that it be reversible ...
Pictures would help to understand the state of the device / charger and how you reconnected it, I did not quite understand.

You don't have a full back up of the disk on an external disk?

If not, can I advise to do it as soon as possible (you did not mention it) before the failure eventually becomes permanent. (You can find them cheaply, often the data is worth more than the PC ... at least on a large USB key)

If instead you have a bootable backup, try booting it to see if the symptoms persist.

If the symptoms persist, it may also be that the problem comes from the memory modules, I have already had this problem several times of beeping on different PCs at startup, always a module which failed to be recognized (intermittent problem then one fine day definitive ) ... But ouch, it may be that the memory is soldered to the motherboard, in this case there is nothing to do. If they are not soldered together and you have two or more, just isolate / remove them one by one, until the symptoms go away. In my case it had worked. If this is the case it may be the opportunity to upgrade the bars to increase the capacity (well I do not know if the game is worth the effort, to calculate).

Bonne chance.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 15/08/21, 23:22

that won't help, but ...

around 2005, I bought a nice TOSHIBA Satellite M60 PC; at the time of the high-end, 17 "screen and powerful ...

he was the victim of a manufacturing defect in his screen which made permanent vertical lines until things were almost unreadable.

in this genre

Toshiba never wanted to admit the manufacturing defect or any support.
in this forum : https://forums.commentcamarche.net/foru ... an-toshiba
I post under Toto63

We changed the screen with my dealer, then I gave the PC to my farming cousins.

A few years later, the motherboard gave up the ghost !!

Since then I have never bought any Toshiba product again. Fuck them.

I switched to ASUS and find them to be quite reliable.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 19/07/22, 12:03

FYI it is still running : Cheesy: : Cheesy: you just have to tap on the 4 arrows at each start
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/07/22, 13:49

Remundo wrote:

1 Asus is worth 10 Toshitba : Mrgreen:

In the start-up world…if it's not Mac it's Asus…it's an interesting sign!
1 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 19/07/22, 16:05

Asus, tosh, hp, ibm, I had.

Even a very long time ago, with 5.25 inch drive!!!! yes, it existed ... 2 3.5 readers too ....

In my office at work I must still have an 8 inch floppy disk....

If at home, you have a racing beast, nothing prevents with a slightly slower laptop, to do remote desktop on a good PC.

Excluding video images, you end up with a good PC ...

If the portable loe is very slow, nothing prevents putting a linux on it, and doing RDP on a windows ....

Many laptops have a classic hard drive, you replace it with an SSD, even if you don't get all the speed from it, from a start-up time of 5 mins, you go to 30s (with a bit of exaggeration sure). But that's kinda the idea...
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 19/07/22, 16:29

Christophe wrote:
Remundo wrote:

1 Asus is worth 10 Toshitba : Mrgreen:

In the start-up world…if it's not Mac it's Asus…it's an interesting sign!

Toshiba, question laptops or not, it's shit.
https://lescahiersdudebutant.fr/pc-port ... -a-eviter/
https://desgeeksetdeslettres.com/hardwa ... us-fiables
2 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 19/07/22, 19:25

My wife has a MacBook Pro 15 inch core i7 from 2012, she had the video card changed (a common problem on these vintages), I changed her hard drive (5400rpm) sucks) for an SSD and that's the foot.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 19/07/22, 22:44

On apples, they did not hesitate to no longer make compatibility between the first and the last, and even change several times between the different versions.

On a PC you still have some compatibility even with things from the 80s...

The last time I used a mac, in the "terminal or console", I don't know anymore, unix or linux instructions went very well.

An SSD makes a crazy difference on a computer system... After that, the longevity will be to be seen, compared to HDs...
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 19/07/22, 23:30

Well, they say SSDs are more reliable, I have a Samsung 1T on a laptop that didn't last.
0 x
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by jean.caissepas » 20/07/22, 00:34

Obamot wrote:Well, they say SSDs are more reliable, I have a Samsung 1T on a laptop that didn't last.

The problem is classic on PCs with little RAM: The swap file (virtual memory) writes to the SSD and the "crame" in a few months or years.
For my partner, I bought her a new PC at 299€ and made the following modifications:
- Added 8GB RAM to 12GB and removed swap file (virtual memory system settings)
- Replaced the 2GB M128 SSD with a 512GB one

And everything has been running for over a year...

Ideally, you should put an extra HDD in your PC and put all the temporary and often modified directories on this other disk (for this, you have to transfer the user profile from the SSD to the HDD)
==> Intensive writes are not done on the SSD!
1 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.