OBD: erasing errors trip computer after repairs on all brands!

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Christophe

OBD: erasing errors trip computer after repairs on all brands!

by Christophe » 28/02/16, 00:27

A method that I just tested successfully on a bmw 2008 ... and remains very little known to the general public (and for good reason: bmw 80 invoice € the connection of an OBD!)

Clearing board errors (like brake sensor or battery that have just been changed):

a) Switch on the ignition (without starting the engine)
b) Wait and do not touch anything (not even the car radio or a door) during 5 at 6 minutes

The error will have disappeared (provided it has been corrected at the material level before recess ...)
0 x
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: OBD: erasing errors trip computer after repairs on all brands!

by lilian07 » 28/02/16, 12:42

Hello,
The best method for any gasoline vehicle since 2001 and any diesel vehicle from 2004 is the UBS ODB 2 socket sold with software around 13 euros on ebay.
I bought this plug after intermittent breakdown on my vehicle Dodge Caliber. I then tested this decision on a 330 BMW 2004 D, Audi 2005 tdi 140 and a Fiat Punto 2005 diesel ... all parameters are accessible with this plug and we can easily erase the error codes.
I use a mini PC 10 inch to read the settings and save them possibly to target breakdowns and avoid the pitfalls of mechanics who do not do any diagnosis before troubleshooting.
Kind regards.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/02/16, 12:59

Uh I tested 2 model 15 € with Bluetooth connection and free soft on android (Torque is not bad and the paid version cheap!) It allowed reading (some parameters in real time are very interesting) but at home not possible to reset the error ... and it was on Bm too ??

What exact software do you use?
0 x
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by lilian07 » 28/02/16, 14:12

I use the Soft ELM 327 that was provided with the purchase of the OBD2 USB socket.
I tried simple at first: soft on Windows PC + USB cable which limits the problems.
For the moment no failure but I have only 3 vehicle types tested.
I have not tried the app under android.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/02/16, 14:48

Ok thank you, I will test on occasion! What is the exact name of the one provided (I received nothing from me :( )?

For the other, I found EOBD-Easy this one?
0 x
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by lilian07 » 28/02/16, 15:38

This is the program
scan master ELM v2.1
the prog makes 16 Mo I can send it to you in case or for test before purchase.

Ebay label

ELM 327 DIAGNOSTIC INTERFACE AUTO USB Cables OBD2 IPHONE IPAD ANDROID
1 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/02/16, 16:40

These electronic diagnostic stories are still a big scam.
I don't know how it goes in the automobile but I guess it's the same. In agriculture, in the brand for which I work, from the moment you plug in the diagnostic computer, you have to invoice an "electronic repair package"
I think it is an aberration and especially a big scam with respect to the customer.
The customer did not request that his tractor (/ his car) be fitted with electronics. And if he ever told us "I'm not paying the package, you manage to troubleshoot without the software" we'd be really pissed off.
But the worst part is that basically it's just a tool.
It's a bit like charging a "multimeter package" each time you take a voltage or current measurement on a circuit, or a "13 key package" each time you tighten a screw. . This kind of policy is clearly abuse and I find it surprising that no consumer association has mobilized against this kind of practice.
1 x
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by lilian07 » 28/02/16, 17:20

It's true it's a scam similar to any proprietary system.
The OBD2 socket is mandatory from 2001 to partially limit the drift of manufacturers and their proprietary system.
The OBD2 plug and its associated program is not limited to the car, normally it can diagnose all land and sea vehicles, tractors, shovel, boat..a bit everything ...
I did not test on other types of vehicles other than our cars but I'm not sure that it's the same for any vehicle as the physical grip is the OBD.
It is unfortunate that the manufacturers have adopted this innovation on engines as a way to make even more money with less effort.
Indeed, heat engines have not changed since their appearance but are now more reliable and this, thanks to electronics, allow better energy management and therefore a better ability to generate mechanical power with better efficiency. Apart from all the failures related to "false contacts" and the increase in engine complexity, this socket is a great tool which allows the most attentive to find almost all the failures without fail.
Unfortunately the mechanics make a diverted use of it .... invoicing of the diagnostic ??? but also abandonment of "common sense peasant" in particular on the utility of making a study of the engine parameters in load or not before changing a part or worse a group of parts !!
My example is a case study:
My car at a loss of power while driving (from 120 km / h I go to 70 km / h) has a shift from normal mode to a calculator backup mode by turning off the turbo. some research and discussion with the garages of the corner, I get as much version as garagiste .... EGR valve (the universal failure of the diesels), turbo HS, Calculator failed ?? .... I therefore decide to buy this famous prize given its derisory price ....
I receive the plug and I test my first diag .... I remove the error code after reading the history ... indeed air intake problem on the booster circuit turbo ...
I do not know anything about recent mechanics, I'm going on a forum see the type of part found on this circuit ... wholesale solenoid valve, hose, EGR valve and turbo ....
I inspect the elements and an element hold my attention a hose that seems to have traces of oil ... bingo I change the pierced hose for 30 euros and end of the story.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/02/16, 18:04

On our tractors it's not an OBD2 car outlet for sure!
I only know 2 brands and it's cylindrical plugs but I have a big doubt about their compatibility. By cons it's CAN as for the OBD so maybe with an adapter it would work.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/02/16, 18:57

Forhorse wrote:These electronic diagnostic stories are still a big scam.

Quite commercially it can be abusive!
The official bm garages ask 80 € just for the diagnosis ... even before loosening the least bolt!
They are funny huh ... the crisis really saves some ...

If not technologically it can be interesting to find a breakdown (more) quickly, the car systems have become real gas plants!

I recently saw on an obd actia (a pro thing) that I had accelerometers (2 axes at least, maybe 3 ... the page has gone fast: certainly coupled to the corrector of trajectory) in my auto which is yet 2008, not really very recent ...

It is not however as much as obd increases the general reliability ... quite the contrary: we know the adage, if you want to make it last, it's simple!
0 x

Back to "failure, troubleshooting and repair: repair yourself? "