OBD: erasing errors trip computer after repairs on all brands!

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: OBD: erasing errors trip computer after repairs on all brands!

by Gaston » 10/03/16, 10:13

izentrop wrote:
Gaston wrote:
Celine and her car wrote:we still have this track of the starter coming back in all forums
I do not really understand how the starter could be involved if the car does not start when it is towed ...
Automatic box :?:
Certainly not since it started after 1km : Mrgreen:
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 10/03/16, 10:42

For the booster pump ... It is immersed in the tank ... Moreover, as the tank is cut in two for the passage of the transmission shaft a transfer system between the two sides of the tank by two pump systems auto-aspirating is installed in both sides of the tank. These two self-aspirating pumps are systems that only work with the return of the ex-diesel fuel from the engine. this return is existing if and only if the electric booster pump is in good condition and the diesel filter is not clogged ....
Two questions:
Has the diesel filter been changed after the appearance of the symptoms?
Have you tried to FULL FULL of the tank

Do not rely on the gauge of the dashboard that can tell you almost 1 / 3 full (two gauges are installed and the needle on the dashboard indicates the average of both sides) while the side where is the pump feeding is empty (or almost)

The fact that she started at the end of a km crumples me a little by pulling it you may have passed the diesel pump side and refueled the circuit ...

Before changing the starter I change the diesel filter and I pour 20 30 liters of diesel in the belly (the pump located on the side filling) ...
reserv10.jpg
reserv10.jpg (21.07 KIO) Viewed 5795 times

The 1 booster pump pushes the diesel fuel into the 3 high-pressure pump via the 2 diesel fuel filter. This high-pressure pump pushes the diesel fuel into the injectors and returns the surplus to the left of the tank (if there is more)
in the tank the 6 and 8 systems (auto-aspirating pumps controlled by the return flow of the engine) make the two sides of the tank comunicate to maintain a constant level on both sides ... If the diesel fuel filter is clogged it passes enough diesel to power the engine but not to have a sufficient return to the internal transfer systems ... When the car is driving fast it goes unnoticed (the diesel jolts allowing natural transfers on both sides) when the car is used flat the pump side empties ....

Personally on my alfa I hear it turn this pump (just put the ignition it turns to put the pressure circuit 10 seconds) you have to stretch the ear to the tank ... First test fill ... If it start changing the diesel filter ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Celine and her car
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Celine and her car » 10/03/16, 12:49

Thank you for these new tracks I'm going to my companion as soon as he gets home!
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 10/03/16, 13:35

To test the proper functioning of the pump, disconnect the diesel inlet hose to the filter, extend it and immerse it in a canister, hold the hose and put the ignition in contact with something else that must run for 5 at 10 second at a good flow (between 150 and 200l / h) do the same manipulation at the outlet of the filter if it does not flow more or much less ... Filter clogged or pump too weak ... Start with the change of the filter and possibly the pump...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
simplino
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by simplino » 28/05/16, 01:23

Celine and her car wrote:Basically there is no problem when it rolls is a real bomb. It started in the summer it was hard to get started except at the 1 era so we thought about something that heated and made contact because 6 h after it went back without problem, then it was difficult to start all the time until now where she does not want any more. nothing else to report, no lights, no symptoms!
This is a 320 46 diesel bmw 150 compact 2002 XNUMX horses

Fun, because it reminds me of memories of very old car, she without a computer, with starter starting more and more badly, and the very very characteristic noise is enough to know the cause without any computer perfectly useless (especially if it does not There are none, because the basic breakdowns do not require a computer and the mechanic who leads you by boat with such a typical noise is a pure swindler !!)) !!
A starter must hang its gear on the gear teeth, and its teeth gradually wear out to the point of no longer hanging by turning more and more empty and starting less and less (especially with a cheap starter bad quality !! ) !!
Obviously pushing long enough, the car will start !!

The onboard computer will never tell you anything, that the starter teeth are worn out after too many uses and a steel pinion too soft, badly tempered, or that a hose is pierced !!

Change a starter is 4 screw to unscrew and screw, more or less accessible!

The noises of a car are even more essential to make a diagnosis of basic failure, that the computer will not do!

My wife long ago was driving with a car at 2 pistons and one of the candles was unscrewed sometimes, and we lost the candle on the road and the engine ended up turning on a single piston with the typical ultra sound of a single piston , and I never understood why my wife did not realize it at all, while she has a much more musical ear than me !!
0 x
simplino
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by simplino » 28/05/16, 15:02

simplino wrote:
Celine and her car wrote:Basically there is no problem when it rolls is a real bomb. It started in the summer it was hard to get started except at the 1 era so we thought about something that heated and made contact because 6 h after it went back without problem, then it was difficult to start all the time until now where she does not want any more. nothing else to report, no lights, no symptoms!
This is a 320 46 diesel bmw 150 compact 2002 XNUMX horses

Fun, because it reminds me of memories of very old car, she without a computer, with starter starting more and more badly, and the very very characteristic noise is enough to know the cause without any computer perfectly useless (especially if it does not There are none, because the basic breakdowns do not require a computer and the mechanic who leads you by boat with such a typical noise is a pure swindler !!)) !!
A starter must hang its gear on the gear teeth, and its teeth gradually wear out to the point of no longer hanging by turning more and more empty and starting less and less (especially with a cheap starter bad quality !! ) !!
Obviously pushing long enough, the car will start !!

The onboard computer will never tell you anything, that the starter teeth are worn out after too many uses and a steel pinion too soft, badly tempered, or that a hose is pierced !!

Change a starter is 4 screw to unscrew and screw, more or less accessible!

The noises of a car are even more essential to make a diagnosis of basic failure, that the computer will not do!

My wife long ago was driving with a car at 2 pistons and one of the candles was unscrewed sometimes, and we lost the candle on the road and the engine ended up turning on a single piston with the typical ultra sound of a single piston , and I never understood why my wife did not realize it at all, while she has a much more musical ear than me !!

AT " she was struggling to boot except at the 1 era use ....... because 6 h after she was back without problem", very typical, I tapped on the starter with a hammer and then reset by this shot, the starter ended up hanging and the engine was leaving!
So I rolled 6 months before changing the starter !!
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/05/16, 16:40

If the gear is eaten is not to hit the starter that will change anything.
When you tap on the starter and it works again, it is typical of a problem of the worn power contacts on the solenoid, by force they charbonnent and do not make any more contact (typical of the clac-clac when one turns the key of contact but with the starter that does not launch)
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 28/05/16, 19:12

BMW are still not kidding to make cars that walk it looks like ... At one time it was the rear axles that let go (seems that it always does ...) To change the water pump on some models, it must leave the engine. Near 4'000 € at a dealership (for the model in question) ... Fortunately they are strong in marketing, as Nutella ...

For the OBD2 I have the ELM327 and it is not the soft that are missing to reset the error codes. Only the OBD is not everything ... It's limited, but hey, it's the current breakdowns, it's already that. Otherwise at Ad they have the bag all brands at 30'000 € that one does everything! Which means that the manufacturers wallowed on the European directives, since the OBD2 had to be universal ...! But what is the police doing ... The VAG scandal next door is nothing ... There are almost all the builders who do not respect the law.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 28/05/16, 20:55

Forhorse wrote:If the gear is eaten is not to hit the starter that will change anything.
When you tap on the starter and it works again, it is typical of a problem of the worn power contacts on the solenoid, by force they charbonnent and do not make any more contact (typical of the clac-clac when one turns the key of contact but with the starter that does not launch)

There are at least 3 possible problems:

1) Movement, of the pinion controlled by the solenoid, faulty:
When the control solenoid and or its mechanism are almost dead, (the one that initiates forward movement of the pinion so that it meshes with the crown of the flywheel), the intended movement is not complete or non-existent. Mechanical hard points and or the solenoid half-shorted mean that the pinion does not come out far enough to come to engage properly on the crown wheel. Small noise "Clack! Clack!". The engine is never driven. When you put a hammer on the corner of the mouth, the mechanism often unlocks ... momentarily, the pinion ends up moving forward, falls into place and you can start ...... now. Cold or hot it will not necessarily win the next shot. Over time, the phenomenon can only become more frequent until complete failure with or without a hammer. : Mrgreen:

2) Crazy contact:
The solenoid and its mechanism work but when the pinion is in the fully extended position, at the end of its stroke, it must make a contact in a kind of internal relay to supply the starter motor (to pass hundreds of Amps). If this power contact is worn, out of adjustment, charred, full of oil etc ..., the starter motor may not be powered, underpowered ("Klonk Klonk" noise), run very slowly, or start from time to time. time.

3) Combination of 1 and 2 issues:
The pinion is not exactly in place (not far enough) but the power contact is still supplied. The pinion, which is chamfered to be able to enter the teeth of the crown, ends up moving back and turns against the crown (the teeth puff out). Big noise "sensitive souls" to abstain. Much rarer. The car's engine has made a semblance of rotation and then stops while it screams ... : Mrgreen: . It can be expensive if we insist ...
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/05/16, 15:05

Obamot wrote:For OBD2 I have the ELM327 and there is no shortage of software to reset the error codes.

The EML327 is a toy, I have never found an android or PC software (free or paid) that allows you to write ... therefore to reset error codes. Manufacturers use a lot of ingenuity to have to go through the "dealer" box ... BM is one of the worst at this level!

But if you found some that worked (for which brand?) Please share them :)
0 x

Back to "failure, troubleshooting and repair: repair yourself? "