OBD: erasing errors trip computer after repairs on all brands!

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Celine and her car
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: OBD: erasing errors trip computer after repairs on all brands!

by Celine and her car » 08/03/16, 21:39

Good evening, I allow myself to post this message because I have a big, very big problem with my car, a bmw, the mechanic takes me crazy amounts for an improbable diagnosis. I just read your posts and you are talking about an ODB2 socket that lets you know what's wrong with your cars, is it really reliable? Won't she give me an error code that I couldn't do anything about?
Thank you for your help as I am a little desperate and not ready to sell the house to repair my car
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/03/16, 00:48

Well at BM there are going strong: 80 € HT for just the connection as said above ...
An OBD2 socket at 15 € does not guarantee you to read all the errors (it all depends on the software with) because the brands protect themselves a lot (and you can forget to reset them with)

What do you have for lights on the dashboard? In short, what is your "big worry"?

At the Leclerc auto center, in my corner, they plug in an ACTIA for free ... and they can reset errors for you ... provided they are obviously repaired ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 09/03/16, 08:25

I have several in multi-brands (already mentioned) plus the fiat alfa craké software and a Chinese version of lexia (psa) and well I can tell you that these are great tools for diagnosing problems (from the moment they are electronic) the whole thing is to have logic for the interpretation of the results ...
1 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Celine and her car
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Celine and her car » 09/03/16, 09:52

Thank you for your answer, in fact it started just once a day, at the 1st use and after more way to start it. now, since Monday, she simply refuses to start. the battery is new and the starter runs well, the mechanic plugged in his suitcase and got a 1-digit error code so he refuses to do anything and wants to send me to bmw where I was told to change the battery and the starter for around 6 euros .... (the battery costs 1000 euros in a battery store ...) ....
We are lost, we have all the opinions of the injectors to the problem of diesel .... nobody can give us a real track so I thought that this ODB 2 socket will help us
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 09/03/16, 10:26

Celine and her car wrote:at bmw where I was told to change the battery and the starter for around 1000 euros
1000 € to change the starter and the battery, it is not excessive if that solves the problem (a starter is worth more than € 500 without labor).

Celine and her car wrote:We are lost, we have all the opinions of fuel injectors .... no one can give us a real lead
You have to make it clear to the BMW garage that it has an obligation of result and that all the parts that it unnecessarily changes to find the fault cannot be invoiced (it only has to restart them).
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 09/03/16, 10:27

The 6-digit code has a meaning in the BMW tablets ... And from the interpretation of this code they can deduce the faulty component (s) ... Regarding the starter if it is him. The car must be able to be started from the "stroller".
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 09/03/16, 10:32

Macro wrote:As for the starter if it is him. The car must be able to be started from the "stroller".
Celine tells us "the starter turns well" ...
0 x
Celine and her car
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Celine and her car » 09/03/16, 11:07

With the stroller she no longer wants to start. yesterday it was necessary to tow it with another car for at least 1 km for it to start.
We found a starter at around 250 euros on a car parts site but as it is a good sum I would have liked to be sure of my shot ... my companion who is not mechanic changed his 1st starter in less than 2 hrs on his saab. I find that BMW prices are abused (like any garage owner elsewhere)! Just to plug the suitcase and send me to bmw it cost me 100 euros!
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 09/03/16, 11:15

Celine and her car wrote:With the stroller she no longer wants to start. yesterday it was necessary to tow it with another car for at least 1 km for it to start.
So it does not come (only) from the starter.

Celine and her car wrote: I find that BMW prices are abused (like any garage owner elsewhere)! Just to plug the suitcase and send me to bmw it cost me 100 euros!
I don't quite understand: you went to BMW who sent you ... to BMW :?:
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 09/03/16, 11:20

Gaston wrote:
Macro wrote:As for the starter if it is him. The car must be able to be started from the "stroller".
Celine tells us "the starter turns well" ...

Yes but ... I know because it happened to me with the passat at Mamita: if for one reason or another (weak starter or insufficient battery) the computer goes into safety (insufficient speed of rotation) and doesn ' injects more diesel the person therefore hears his starter turn properly but with an alert ear we hear a motor launched as if it had no more compression We were 4 but the configuration of the places (underground parking and 1T7 car) did not allow us to start it by pushing it .. By shunting it for a few seconds on my old alfa it started off again and has not started since ... My current question is why the battery is unloaded in 3 hours of parking this afternoon there (but I have an idea) ....
0 x

Back to "failure, troubleshooting and repair: repair yourself? "