Self-built wind turbine with electric bike engine

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Self-built wind turbine with electric bicycle motor

by izentrop » 10/11/18, 19:49

Christophe wrote:I believe that brushless motors with a rotating cage of the wheel motor type (three-phase) are perfectly reversible ...
Except that you need crazy speeds that you don't have with a wind turbine. You therefore need a generator with multiple poles or with a multiplier.
I don't know what it's worth but I was thinking about it

If it is a question of cost, there are plenty of opportunities. People get rid of it because of noise, vibrations for those fixed to the wall, or troubles with neighbors ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/11/18, 01:29

Out of curiosity, I went to see the site http://soupl.eole2.monsite-orange.fr/pa ... 7a0f2.html. It is not a 250 W motor but a 3 W dynamo that is used, not to mention the duration of wind resistance of a canvas wing :?: : Wink:
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 11/11/18, 09:42

izentrop wrote:
If it is a question of cost, there are plenty of opportunities. People get rid of it because of noise, vibrations for those fixed to the wall, or troubles with neighbors ...

It's clear, a few years ago we saw "pinion wind turbines" popping up everywhere. it cost an arm and was supposed to pay off easily. Except, less than 10 years later, the majority of these wind turbines do not turn any more, some even whose blades have been removed.
Those who bought it have been tricked!

The one I bought (fortunately much cheaper than the "turnkey" installations at 10.000 €) was dismantled a few years ago now because for lack of a favorable location it produced nothing, and the neighbors found it "ugly. ", so no need to anger the neighborhood for something that doesn't bring in anything.
She has since been in the attic waiting for ... well, I don't know yet!
0 x
Pierre820
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Pierre820 » 11/11/18, 11:53

Thank you for all these tracks and answers!
So my batteries are 2v cells and I have 12. I mounted them to get out of 12v since my converter is in 12v.
I have 24v panels and the victron mppt 75/50 regulator which manages all this.
The engines that you show me izentrop look small for the power announced.
For the location of the wind turbine I plan to put it on an 8m mast in a wind corridor that follows a valley.

Indeed on the micro soupl'éole site it is a dynamo.
But extrapolating with an engine does not seem impossible to me and it suffices to increase the size of the blades.
In addition it is an inexpensive project and that deserves to be experienced it seems to me.
For the exact power of the engines I am still trying to find out.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/11/18, 15:48

I hope you will come and show us the progress of the project. : Wink:
0 x
Christophe68
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Christophe68 » 11/11/18, 20:36

Hello Pierre,

An electric bicycle motor is a permanent magnet brushless.
It can make a good generator.
It delivers a three-phase voltage proportional to its speed.
It is therefore first necessary to add a three-phase rectifier bridge.
We then obtain a direct current proportional to its speed which must be regulated to arrive at 14 volts with a current limitation according to the power of the batteries.
We use "steps down" for that, but the problem is that they often have a maximum input voltage that is too low, 40 -60 V, point to check!
The voltage will depend on your blades, about 1V per km / h. It can therefore go very high in stormy weather. It is therefore necessary to add a protection against over-voltages which keeps the motor coasting (without load) and protects your regulator.
Another delicate point, there is a planetary reduction gear in the wheel, which does not like over-revs.
The recoverable power is proportional to the cube of the wind speed, which explains the difficulties in regulating everything.

Hoverboard engines also make good candidates (direct drive).
0 x
Pierre820
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Pierre820 » 12/11/18, 13:31

Yes yes of course I will regularly update the progress of the project. The goal is to get help but also to share so that it serves others.

Thank you Christophe for these technical details. So the rectifier bridge ok not too complicated. Then the regulator is it ultimately essential?
For having tried it on a cordless screwdriver motor, when I idle I get fairly high voltages, up to 50V. By cons as soon as I put a load, with a LED bulb for example the voltage does not exceed 14V with the same speed of rotation. So if I connect directly to the batteries (which total 750Ah) these will not absorb all of the power by increasing the amperage rather than the voltage?
For the problem of storms, the fact that it is a wind turbine makes it self-regulating. And then it will be easily removable and brakable by hand unlike a rigid pale wind turbine.

As for hoverboard motors, are they better candidates because they drive at lower speeds than a bicycle and suddenly would need less rotation per minute to generate the same current?
Because in addition they seem to me cheaper than a paddle wheel with equivalent power.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/18, 13:40

I love this forum!!

On the one hand, some want to transform motors into generators and others make powerful and inexpensive three-phase motors with recovery alternators: Transportation-electric / electrification-diy-of-vehicle-in-all-kinds-t15840.html

Long live econology!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/18, 13:52

izentrop wrote:Except that you need crazy speeds that you don't have with a wind turbine. You therefore need a generator with multiple poles or with a multiplier.

No, not at all! A wheel motor has precisely multiple poles (12, 24, 36 ...) and rotates ... at the same speed as the wheel (if so)! So relatively low or very low speeds!

If the concept of KV is familiar to you, a brushless wheel motor with a rotating cage is between 10 and 20 kV. depending on its supply voltage.

1 kV = 1 rpm per volt.

In other words, a 15 kV motor supplied with 24V will rotate at 15 * 24 = 360 rpm, ie 6 r / s.

If it is mounted on a 26 inch wheel then the speed is 360 * 26 * 0,0254 * 3.1415 * 60/1000 = 40 km / h

In generator mode this motor will therefore produce three-phase 24V at 360 rpm ... By cons 360 rpm, it is low and therefore implies a large propeller diameter ...

In this regard, I have the Heliciel software, if that interests you Pierre820 I can make you the dimensioning of the wind turbine propeller adapted to your engines ... if you give me their kV, power and nominal voltage .. .
0 x
Pierre820
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Pierre820 » 12/11/18, 17:41

Thank you Christophe. As soon as I know these characteristics I pass them on to you because it will be very useful indeed.
So if the bike wheel is capable of producing current at low speeds no need to ask me the question for a hoverboard wheel. Especially since the construction of the sail blades seems easier to me from the bicycle wheel than to build entirely from scratch ...
When did my question on the regulator have an answer?
0 x