Wind: building a vertical axis wind turbine from A to Z

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Wind power: let's build a wind turbine with vertical axis from A to Z

by oli 80 » 09/05/20, 11:10

Hi Phil59,

if you have youtube you can ask questions in comments to the author of the video, the video does not come from me, I know that he will answer it with pleasure
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 01/06/20, 10:47

I have an idea on my mind ...

A crude car alternator does not do the job without modifying it. But alternators, I have several.

If I understood correctly, "empty", the alternator could consume more than it could yield, roughly speaking, we will say, and it will take a little more winds to start production.

So far, that's pretty much the idea?

So, why not a small wind turbine, with a rewound alternator, which would give little, which would charge a little battery, and which if the voltage or amperage reaches a certain value, would supply the largest? with relay control, which if no juice leaves nothing behind, and if juice at the right value .... do you see the idea a bit? history one produce a little often, and when a reasonable wind, I don't know, 20 km / h?, would give 500W mini?

Possible or not? good it is sure, double job .... but the manufacture of a small one, it is good, if it is with a lot of recovery, it costs not too expensive, and then we launch the biggest ...
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Mister_Ash
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Mister_Ash » 26/07/20, 11:56

I have a quick question about vertical axis wind turbines in general.
Why in almost all autonomy projects it is the Piggott type wind turbine that is put forward when it seems more complex to implement (a fairly high mast, the risk of the wind turbine making a 360 ° and roll up and break the wiring ...)?
0 x
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by thibr » 26/07/20, 15:41

because it works pretty well : Wink:
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 26/07/20, 15:48

The mast high enough is to catch the wind above obstacles. And no risk of winding the cable, there is a rotating collector.

The vertical axis wind turbine is necessarily less efficient because one of the faces goes up against the wind, except in the case of articulated systems like Robiplan.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 26/07/20, 15:58

Mister_Ash wrote:I have a quick question about vertical axis wind turbines in general.
Why in almost all autonomy projects it is the Piggott type wind turbine that is put forward when it seems more complex to implement (a fairly high mast, the risk of the wind turbine making a 360 ° and roll up and break the wiring ...)?
First, unless the vertical wind turbine is by the sea or at the top of a 10-story building, you need height to get the energy from the wind.
2 - reduced losses thanks to the direct drive, the multipole generator being able to produce at reduced speed
3 - safety: feathering in case of too strong wind.
4 - From the point of view of yield it is comparable to those of commerce.

I don't think 360 ° is a risk?
0 x
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by thibr » 26/07/20, 19:00

0 x
Mister_Ash
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Mister_Ash » 26/07/20, 20:11

izentrop wrote:
Mister_Ash wrote:I have a quick question about vertical axis wind turbines in general.
First, unless the vertical wind turbine is by the sea or at the top of a 10-story building, you need height to get the energy from the wind.
2 - reduced losses thanks to the direct drive, the multipole generator being able to produce at reduced speed
3 - safety: feathering in case of too strong wind.
4 - From the point of view of yield it is comparable to those of commerce.

I don't think 360 ° is a risk?

Well imagine that it is put on a mate too?
The Piggott generator could adapt to a vertical wind turbine, right? (the coils cast in the resin and all the shaking ...)
How does the Piggot feather?

I do not remember a rotating collector on self-built Piggott, that's why I mentioned the risk of the cable twisting in the mast
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 26/07/20, 23:30

Mister_Ash wrote:How does the Piggot feather?
The rudder joint is offset.
Regulation and braking by articulated rudder: From a certain level of wind, considered excessive
for the mechanical safety of the wind turbine, the rudder folds gradually and automatically
across the axis of the wind. Not only does it slow down the flow, slowing down the speed, but it
diverts the wind turbine from perpendicular to the wind. This then becomes less and less effective and
its speed cannot increase even if the wind is strong. We generally speak of lateral erasure or
“Furling” in this precise case, this is widely used for small wind turbines because it is a very
easy to implement. http://www.magnetosynergie.com/Archives ... Eolien.pdf
0 x
BaudouinLabrique
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by BaudouinLabrique » 17/05/23, 15:02

Here are sources among other academics that will show you that coupling a SAVONIUS to an asynchronous DARRIEUS allows a 20% to 30% increase in performance: https://www.retrouversonnord.be/HYBRIDE ... RRIEUS.pdf
0 x
«There are those who see things as they are and wonder why. Me, I see them as they could be and I say to myself: why not! (Sir Bernard Shaw)
« The future belongs to those who see the possibilities before they become obvious. (Theodore Levitt).