The future will pass you it with biomass?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The future will pass you it with biomass?

by moinsdewatt » 09/03/21, 19:42

Méthavéore invests in an anaerobic digestion unit in Drôme
The Méthavéore company, created by three farmers and located in Étoile-sur-Rhône (Drôme), has invested 5,5 million euros in an anaerobic digestion unit with a production capacity of over 18 million kilowatt-hours per year of renewable gas.

New Factory March 9, 2021

The Méthavéore site in Étoile-sur-Rhône (Drôme) required four kilometers of buried pipes to connect the anaerobic digestion site to the GRDF network.

Since the end of 2020, Méthavéore has been injecting its biomethane into the network operated by Gaz Réseau Distribution France (GRDF). This anaerobic digestion unit is the first green gas injection site in the Drôme department. Three farmers have invested 5,5 million euros in this project started in 2015 and commissioned in December 2020.

https://www.usinenouvelle.com/article/m ... e.N1069394
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 22/03/21, 02:45

A beautiful illustration of the illusion of "wood energy" as a "green" solution.

The integral
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 22/03/21, 02:57

Scandalous, revolting. Exploit, manage a forest in the rules of the art, I don't mind, but this is downright an ecocide !!! I do not even understand that it can be authorized. : Evil: : Evil: : Evil:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 22/03/21, 11:12

"a noise barrier" : Shock: must dare 8)

It's not new https://reporterre.net/Dans-les-forets- ... upes-rases

When will a label prohibit clear cuts and require that branches less than 7 cm in diameter be left on the ground?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/03/21, 20:26

It should be understood that the granulation of wood was born from the desire of the forest countries (Canada, Scandinavia) to get rid of the piles of sawdust produced by their sawmills. Laudable concern to use a waste which was transformed thereafter and because of the recent success of pellet heaters (eh, did! :P ) deadlocked, since the demand for pellets exceeded the quantity of sawdust available. This is all the more true as parallel sectors, such as that of particle board, are also users of these so-called "related" products (to the wood industry). Hence the resort to shredding wood into poles of all sizes, as long as they are of low market value ...
Regarding the issue of clear cuts, what we are currently observing is that, on the one hand, the profession has locked itself into a management system configured for decades for this operating mode and that it can be complicated to get out of it, on the other hand it is becoming more and more obvious that this management method is becoming more and more problematic, not only because of the reluctance it legitimately raises in public opinion (the forest is a private space, but the rural space is a common good), but above all because climate change compromises the reforestation which normally follows clear cutting and is constitutive of the logic which governs it. Indeed, the regular spring and / or summer droughts, as well as the high temperature peaks cause planting failure, mainly because the forest atmosphere (shade and atmospheric humidity) has disappeared in the operation. It is certain that the necessity (probably more than the virtue!) Will very quickly impose to give up these practices and to encourage to develop new strategies closer to the normal functioning of the forest ecosystem. Despite this, the forest's difficulties in adapting will remain considerable.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by jean.caissepas » 23/03/21, 00:50

On wood pellets, we are starting to see the problem created by cheap energy:
- A poorly insulated house or public building (example: old high school / college) that burns fuel oil will be equipped with a pellet boiler, in order to reduce the energy bill and improve the image of the owner (individual / politician) without thinking in depth on improvements in energy losses (insulation / double flow CMV)
- Since the democratization of pellet stoves and heat pumps, houses are increasingly large because the heating budget is not prohibitive
- The users heat up a lot more (a wealthy person that I know heats at 25 ° all winter because he likes to be at home barefoot and in shorts! : Evil: , as on the distant islands that he regularly visits ... :( )

In the end, we move the problem or increase it, without really solving it.

I plead guilty with my pellet stove which consumes between 40 and 50 bags (600 to 700 kg), but with my double flow CMV which is a big investment (+ house RT 2012) but seemed essential to avoid a waste of our natural resources .

I put the ashes back on the lawn which has never seen fertilizers or pesticides since I have owned it.

Too many people rush towards quick solutions without thinking about the whole process, by relying too much on advertising slogans ... : roll:

Humanity is constantly running towards profit, to repay ever more debts, exaggerated purchases (SUV, smartphones> 1k €, ...), by robotizing excessively (robot vacuum cleaners or battery mower which quickly fall into disuse. breakdown and increases waste that is difficult to recycle) to save time (it seems that it's money ...).
Before, we listened to the elders or the wise. Now they are laughed at, calling them archaic people who understand nothing about modern life ...

For me the time that I do not sell (to my employer) is my freedom!
So I wish it was increasing (like my freedom eh!)

But in the end, the majority of humanity is running towards what if not its end (except awareness which will surely be too late)?
It always reminds me of the locust that devastates everything in Africa ...

And as if by chance, it is always the fault of others because we always find "good" excuses not to change anything in your personal or collective choices (a couple, a family, ...)

I finished my evening blues. Good night and good dreams of ideal societies ... : Mrgreen:
1 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The future will go through the destruction of biomass

by izentrop » 05/04/21, 17:22

Timothy Searching of Princeton University has shown that for a 20-year renewal period between two harvests, emissions are 80% higher than those of coal (1879 kg / Wh). It is necessary to wait for a renewal period of 100 years for the emissions to return to lower levels than those of coal (902 kg / MWh). Remember that the limit set by DECC, the British environment ministry, is 285 kg / MWh!
The owner of the Drax plant in North Yorkshire is set to move forward with a $ 652 million deal to double its wood pellet production after its shareholders voted 99,9% in favor of the purchase of a Canadian biomass company.

The deal will accelerate Drax Group's plans to become a leading biomass power generator by substituting wood pellets in place of coal at its power plant - despite warnings from scientists, green activists and sustainable investors that burning wood pellets could accelerate the climate crisis.

More than 20 environmental organizations, including the sustainable investment group ShareAction, wrote an open letter to Drax shareholders in March urging them to vote against the deal. The letter warned thatburning more imported wood pellets could accelerate the climate crisis and increase the company's contribution to biodiversity loss and the risk of violations of indigenous peoples' land rights. https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... m-purchase
And hop !!
The pellet production capacity will increase by 250% to reach 1 tonnes over the next few years, with the arrival of new producers such as Barrette-Chapais on the market. In the absence of markets in Quebec, these granules will take the path of export. https://www.lesoleil.com/affaires/la-pr ... df920a3d67
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 06/04/21, 21:27

moinsdewatt wrote:
Méthavéore invests in an anaerobic digestion unit in Drôme
The Méthavéore company, created by three farmers and located in Étoile-sur-Rhône (Drôme), has invested 5,5 million euros in an anaerobic digestion unit with a production capacity of over 18 million kilowatt-hours per year of renewable gas.

New Factory March 9, 2021

The Méthavéore site in Étoile-sur-Rhône (Drôme) required four kilometers of buried pipes to connect the anaerobic digestion site to the GRDF network.

Since the end of 2020, Méthavéore has been injecting its biomethane into the network operated by Gaz Réseau Distribution France (GRDF). This anaerobic digestion unit is the first green gas injection site in the Drôme department. Three farmers have invested 5,5 million euros in this project started in 2015 and commissioned in December 2020.

https://www.usinenouvelle.com/article/m ... e.N1069394

Very interesting business. At least this energy is not intermittent unlike wind and solar.

Unfortunately our political idiots have programmed the ban on gas boilers in new homes. It is all wonderfully coherent.
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 06/04/21, 21:35

jean.caissepas wrote:...
But in the end, the majority of humanity is running towards what if not its end (except awareness which will surely be too late)?

Do not listen to the bad tongues of catastrophism. Nothing is linearly extrapolable. People are correcting things as they go.
As for talking about humanity as if we were not part of it, it always seemed very suspicious to me.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 06/04/21, 21:57

Exnihiloest wrote:Very interesting business. At least this energy is not intermittent unlike wind and solar.
Unfortunately our political idiots have programmed the ban on gas boilers in new homes. It is all wonderfully coherent.

Don't worry, the (very optimistic) projections are 10% of annual French gas consumption in 2030, while in 2020 we are around 1%.
And after? Well there will not be more methanogenic biomass available, so it will not exceed 10% if that happens .... You must not dream, nor stupidly accuse "our idiots of policies". There will always be enough gas consumers to burn the entire production of methanization biomethane, whatever its level.
1 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."