Skylights in transparent plastic bottles

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
owen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by owen » 27/04/09, 08:23

Indeed, he places the photo capsule to protect the cap from the sun.

But there is not only water in the bottle.

He mixes it with something else but I don't know what it is.
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 27/04/09, 11:16

What does a glass bottle without water placed upside down and without water or stopper change?
0 x
owen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by owen » 27/04/09, 12:12

no idea
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 28/04/09, 09:55

You should also think that it can freeze: you must therefore add salt or methanol.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 28/04/09, 10:06

raymon wrote:What does a glass bottle without water placed upside down and without water or stopper change?

It must be a story of diffraction of light rays; by analogy, it suffices to think of what the lens of our eyes is, a sort of magnifying glass filled with liquid which focuses the light rays.
It seems to me, but without certainty (my optics lessons are far away) that a bottle filled with water makes it possible to amplify, by capturing the light rays, the luminosity; because there is a passage from one medium (air) to another (water); conversely, in an empty bottle, the light will pass through the walls of the bottle but without changing the medium.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 28/04/09, 12:44

yes, in water, the light will change direction, virtually increasing the area of ​​light capture.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 28/04/09, 13:08

: Arrow: This is a very interesting subject. 8)
since the time that I would like to equip my house with skylights ...
In France we rather use solar dome. But the prices are prohibitive. : Evil:

If this system is more efficient, adaptations to our constraints would be welcome.

Who launches. :?:
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 28/04/09, 14:32

On this subject, there is so much to say, and going in all directions… : roll:

It starts with a Brazilian video. What is econological (system D) there is not necessarily practical here…
Question of climate first. Does it fall below zero over there?
How many of you live in Europe under corrugated iron roofs, without insulation?
In countries where the sun bangs, the pleasure is to be in a poorly sunny room to have a little freshness.

Now a corrugated iron roof under the cagna, below it is more the oven than the freshness. From there to make it a living room and be able to light it without spending Kw?… : roll:

The round cutouts are made on the top of the corrugated, this proves that water still falls there. The seal seems to be made with plastic packaging.
It's always more waterproof than a straw hut, but still ...
If in these countries paying a few extra Kw is a problem, do you think that it is not a big problem to pierce its unique corrugated roof with a multitude of holes, whereas before it was completely waterproof?
The bottles must be changed every year. It shouldn't freeze.
The photographic capsules serve I think to reinforce externally the closure of the stopper, following the pressure during the cagna periods. But film caps and packaging are thermoplastic, so under the cagna?…
Why close the bottle? So that the water does not evaporate. So that the bottle fits, tightly locked, in the hole in the roof.

Well already, with all these facts, this tedious technique in Brazil, is not well transposable with us.

With us, the idea of ​​a skylight is interesting, but the problem is the temperature falling below freezing.
For this we make an insulation. So I join the idea of The middle that a roof window with double glazing does the same thing.

Now having a column of sunlight in a room can be fun. But it must be another technology.
Without annual maintenance, and without economic inconvenience.
Because you always need insulation, because if the container is in direct contact with the outside, it will form a mass with thermal inertia. Will restore heat on summer evenings. And will restore cold in winter, provided that the liquid does not freeze, otherwise, it is ice stalactite, in the middle of the living room…

The skylight is valid if you cannot have a portion of transparent roof in a room to be lit.
The light pipe is used as for an optical fiber, which can capture the light in a corner of the attic and bring it back above the room to be lit.
So you need an internally reflecting tube and at the start an insulating roof window, or a dome for a better rendering. At the end, an opalescent dome which distributes the incident light evenly in all directions of the room.
Fill the pipe with a liquid to improve the refraction, why not, this avoids cleaning the inner wall of the pipe in case it tarnishes.

But in our current homes, there is always a bit of light coming in through a window.
So the initiative is interesting for a blind corridor or cellar, provided that you have access to the roof, without cutting a living room.
Now for dreamers, we can always do in a living room or bedroom, a kind of Schnorkel with magnifying glass at both ends to have the starry sky ... : Lol:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/04/09, 14:59

Good idea or False Good idea? I do not know...

It's the "poor man's optical fiber" ... good for "over there" but what about durability with UV sensitive PET bottles (glass bottles compensate for this but heavier and more difficult to assemble ... )? And the waterproofing of the roof?

So it's probably good for existing hangars a little dark ... but it stops there ... transparent plates or tiles would do better and more durable with less pain ...

I still want to try in our garden shed : Cheesy:
0 x
Korben Dallas
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Korben Dallas » 29/04/09, 21:56

Are there fiber optic kits that allow you to make a skylight? The advantage is the better insulation it would provide, compared to the Lumitube.

I had seen photos of walls pierced with optical fibers, but it was only to look "pretty", it did not illuminate enough.
0 x