of electricity producer exercise bike

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Legoury
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Legoury » 02/02/10, 14:36

@ Dirk Pitt:
The measurement with the voltmeter seems very good, this would allow people who pedal to see the quantity they can provide. It could also be a small challenge: pedal as fast and as long as possible to power the PC.

@bernardd: not sure it likes that kind of thing. The goal is to make people participate in an activity and that they are actors, that is to say that they themselves produce current.

And something else in brackets: I received an ad on my personal box on this site. It is someone who offers to buy photovoltaic panels. Is this kind of advertising allowed?
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 02/02/10, 15:03

Legoury wrote:@bernardd: not sure it likes that kind of thing. The goal is to make people participate in an activity and that they are actors, that is to say that they themselves produce current.

I must have expressed myself badly, I was just talking about the possibility of replacing the battery with a few super-capacitors: they make almost 100% of the energy that they are transmitted, but they cost more so we store less for the same price, and they are heavier but not a problem for fixed use.

However, their lifespan is 500 times longer ...

Legoury wrote:And something else in brackets: I received an ad on my personal box on this site. It is someone who offers to buy photovoltaic panels. Is this kind of advertising allowed?

Me too, mp went to Christophe's house directly ...
0 x
See you soon !
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 02/02/10, 15:56

@citro,
the motors of which I speak are small brushless sometimes quite torquey. just wire them with a three-phase diode bridge to get DC.
0 x
Click my signature
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

easy solution from the trade

by dedeleco » 02/02/10, 21:30

Funny, the simplest is a bicycle with its lighting dynamo (alternator in fact), a bridge of 4 rectifier diodes, and commercial LED lamps of 3,6V (for Li ion battery), which give a good lighting, almost without work (a few wires) and with little effort (10 to 30 Watts).
We sell lamps (8 to 15 € large distribution) that we recharge by turning a crank where it is already done (battery and LED) and therefore it is enough to replace the crank by a small wheel which rubs on the tire of the bike !!
These lamps have a Li ion battery which provides 10 minutes of lighting for one minute of reassembly with the crank. Very useful in hiking or camping, because there is always lighting.
You pedal 1 minute and you have 10 minutes or more of lighting.
LEDs have a very high lighting efficiency (10 to 20 times incandescent lamps) and therefore with 1Watt we light up like 20Watts! They are very ecological, but expensive (10 to 20 € per Watt) with 80000 hours of life and therefore all the red lights are LED because more expensive maintenance with accidents.
Finally, an easy wind turbine in strong wind, is to put a propeller (recovered from plane, or coarse wood) on the axis of a car alternator for scrap, and to rectify the current obtained with a diode bridge which charges old batteries, 6Volts if the wind is not strong enough. We can recover the charger system on the car. Even simple, it will work with a maximum yield, but useful. You can take a bike dynamo to start.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

more remarks

by dedeleco » 02/02/10, 22:21

a cheap wind turbine to start:
http://www.a4.fr/realisation-dune-eolie ... _1010.html
they also sell a 10Farad supercapacitor at 2,7V or 27s of current at 1A or 270s at 100mA or 2700s at 10mA but an insufficient voltage for an LED. Several should be used with care.
Supercapacitors do not have a large capacity compared to batteries (10 to 100 times less) and therefore only serve to dampen sudden transients.
For the same price we have much more with a Li ion or lead battery.
By recovering from old scrap cars and old televisions we can achieve a lot of test fixtures.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: additional remarks

by bernardd » 03/02/10, 00:04

dedeleco wrote:Supercapacitors do not have a large capacity compared to batteries (10 to 100 times less) and therefore only serve to dampen sudden transients.

At 350F or even 5000F currently, we can do a little more than transients :-) But I agree in principle.

dedeleco wrote:For the same price we have much more with a Li ion or lead battery.

Much more, but not the same thing: a battery stores more energy, but with a much poorer performance, especially with lead-acid batteries. And the current is very limited: you have to stay with a regular average current, if possible.

When using energy with only a slight offset or irregularly, it would be better to use the capacities, which will store less, but which will not lose 40% in the process ...

This would also solve some problems, like in the post on the fridge which consumes on average little but has a large starting current: a large capacity would ensure the starting peak without oversizing the battery, which would perhaps cost more expensive ... that capacity :-)

When I say "better", it is without taking into account the price, which will make it possible to find the right economic balance. So far, I've seen prices of $ 9 before tax for 1000 pieces 2,7V-350F, which gives a minimum order of magnitude. It's much more expensive than batteries, but it can be okay to learn how to use them :-)
0 x
See you soon !
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

easy dynamo scrapped

by dedeleco » 03/02/10, 01:02

The simplest is to use what already exists and which goes to the scrap yard instead of building from scratch with great difficulty:
a car fan is a 12volts fast rotating motor with permanent magnets which works very well in dynamo (80% efficiency as soon as the resistance to movement is due to this dynamo).
By rotating it much faster with a belt between two pulleys of very different sizes you get good power (a few tens of Watts).
For more power, just take a car alternator which gives an alternative around a hundred Watts and that is rectified with a bridge of diodes of corresponding power (the same bridge as on a car battery charger).
We can couple the bike with a belt between the rear wheels of the bike and the alternator pulley very easily
This avoids reconstructing this type of device which is difficult to produce (sheet metal plates to be cut, winding, rotor, etc. with some errors to be avoided for a lower yield) while they are found to be scrapped for almost nothing.
In wind turbines it will work perfectly, if you adjust the speeds with a belt or a gear.
Finally, without a measuring device, you measure your power in Watts by bike, with the speed at which you climb a hill of 10 or 15%: height mounted multiplied by the total weight (cyclist plus bike 72 + 15 = 87kilo for me) multiplied by g (earth acceleration = 9,81m / s2) divided by the time spent climbing the hill. We can divide at the end by the efficiency of the bicycle of 80%.
Typically for me going up in 15 minutes to the level of the second floor of the Eiffel tower of 200 meters high gives 178W and a lot of sweat with this maximum effort !!
This exercise is very good for health, we age less quickly according to the latest scientific research by doing this every day!
The riders of the Tour de France double the performance by watching their time of ascent of Mont Ventoux (and doping?) !!
A horsepower is 735Watts which would increase my weight from 75Kilos to 1m / s !!
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: easy solution from the trade

by dirk pitt » 03/02/10, 08:22

dedeleco wrote:Finally, an easy wind turbine in strong wind, is to put a propeller (recovered from plane, or coarse wood) on the axis of a car alternator for scrap, and to rectify the current obtained with a diode bridge charging old batteries,

have you ever done the manipulation?

a car alternator, unmodified, is almost not usable for making a wind turbine, in particular because of the necessary rotation speed
0 x

Click my signature
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 03/02/10, 08:23

Yes, the ideal would be to find characteristics of widespread engines.

To understand, I found this site http://www.alxion.com/bin/alternateur_kit_stk.html, which, besides impressive efficiency alternators, has a very good explanatory document at the end of the page: "Application note on STK Alternator Kits for direct drive of wind turbines".

The real problem seems to be the low pedaling speed ...

To increase it, it would seem to me more effective to start directly from the bottom bracket with a chain, because if the power is already low, it is not useful to add the intermediary of the wheel.

It would not be possible to use an electric bicycle motor? I do not know what type they are, but if they are permanent magnets, they already have the right speed ... It remains to make their coupling suitable for the generation.
0 x
See you soon !
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 03/02/10, 14:18

bernardd wrote:It would not be possible to use an electric bicycle motor? I do not know what type they are, but if they are permanent magnets, they already have the right speed ... It remains to make their coupling suitable for the generation.
It already exists, some manufacturers sell kits designed directly from China.
0 x