Turbine Bearing Active

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 07/12/15, 18:41

we can put a large nozzle at the outlet of the wind turbine: it will increase its power, and gives the impression of exceeding the betz limit ... but the betz limit should not be calculated with the diameter of the propeller but with the total diameter of the machine

can a small propeller with a large nozzle be better than a large propeller the diameter of the nozzle ... in my opinion no: the nozzle has a large surface area therefore a lot of material, and seems to me more expensive to build a large propeller

another important point a large propeller takes a great effort than when it turns: it is enough to stop it for support and storms ... the big nozzle has a fixed surface, and will take enormous effort in case of storm ... so still more expensive to build
0 x
normandajc
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by normandajc » 07/12/15, 19:41

Hello,

Betz made a theory from kinetic energy and he made no mistakes.
I offer you another reflection.
Large wind turbines have yields close to the Betz limit. However, these large wind turbines are under enormous stress. It is necessary to unhook them or stop them when the wind is too strong. The reason is not that they produce too much but the stresses become so enormous that one risks the rupture of the blades.
My project is to transform these constraints into additional energy.
It is potential energy which is transformed into kinetic energy and this transformation makes it possible to exceed the limit of Betz.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 07/12/15, 20:22

it is a question of optimization: if we made the big wind turbines a little more solid it could produce with a little stronger wind ... but it would be more expensive ... and what good is it to increase the price to produce some more days if it does not bring back the additional cost?

we can trust those who do the studies to find the economic optimum

the optimum is not chosen at random ... we put measurement mats to record the wind for years
0 x
normandajc
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by normandajc » 07/12/15, 20:44

Hi,

what is important is not a question of optimizing the structure, but of transforming constraints into additional energy.
The main thing is not a structural optimization, but to obtain the best energy efficiency with a real return on investment.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 08/12/15, 10:29

normandajc wrote:what is important is not a question of optimizing the structure, but of transforming constraints into additional energy.
But where do these constraints come from, if not from the kinetic energy of the air :?:

So you think you can extract this energy without slowing the air :?: (which constitutes the basis of the Betz calculation).
0 x
normandajc
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by normandajc » 08/12/15, 12:36

Betz's theory is correct. The axial force of the blade profile associated with the spoke makes it possible to create a motor torque to produce energy. The force normal to the profile creates stresses on the blade.
What I propose is to transform these constraints into additional energy. It is potential energy which is transformed into kinetic energy.
here is the document that I had already proposed
https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... QFu9Ca.pdf
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 08/12/15, 13:53

normandajc wrote:What I propose is to transform these constraints into additional energy. It is potential energy which is transformed into kinetic energy.
You don't answer my question: what is the source of this potential energy :?:

It seems to me that this additional energy that you recover is ultimately taken from the kinetic energy of the wind upstream (a hint: if there is no wind, there is no constraint). So by recovering this energy, you slow down the flow and we come back to Betz's theory: speed of the flow upstream and downstream.
0 x
normandajc
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by normandajc » 08/12/15, 14:02

Large wind turbines have a yield close to Betz. There is more than 20 years of research.
However, the blades are stressed. Transforming these constraints into mechanical energy, does not modify the air flows in any way, but allows to recover additional energy and which makes it possible to exceed the Betz limit
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 08/12/15, 14:10

normandajc wrote:However, the blades are stressed. Transforming these constraints into mechanical energy does not in any way modify the air flows,
It remains to be proven.
Your mechanical system seems to me to modify the incidence of the blades, I would be very surprised that it does not affect the flow downstream.

If we managed to transform the constraints into energy without any additional movement of the blades, I would agree, but we do not know how ...

normandajc wrote:but allow to recover additional energy
Additional energy which is well drawn from the incident wind :?:
So necessarily that slows the flow :?:
0 x
normandajc
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by normandajc » 08/12/15, 17:00

indeed many people try to modify the angle of incidence to optimize the axial force.
I do not see the point in my principle of modifying the angle of incidence since the normal force is clearly greater than the axial angle. It is the normal force which creates stresses on the blades.
0 x