Thickness and strength of tempered glass

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
touisk
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by touisk » 04/01/09, 22:35

To tell the truth, I have indeed read that tempered glass (ie safety) is not much more resistant than conventional glass (white glass) but that it provides additional safety when it breaks. People do not risk being seriously injured because the fragments are small (hence the term security).

Would some sellers want to deceive us to sell their merchandise at a higher price by making us believe in greater robustness? A dealer (less watching) confirmed to me that a safety glass plate was fragile especially in the corners. Hence my fears for the distortions of the panel during handling.

Glass is much softer than you think

This is an answer that will amaze more than one (than me!). Although I have never handled large glass plates, like everyone else I have the idea of ​​a rigid plate with little resistance to mechanical stresses (distortions, "bends") or violent shocks. So my little euros are broken into a thousand pieces.

For a neophyte the question of glazing for the solar panel of his dreams is crucial. Not being a confirmed handyman (far from it), I think that this choice must also be an important question for other newbies who follow this thread given the amount that we can spend on the glazing especially if it is badly advised.
If the turn of the matter could be done on this thread it would be of great service to some.

I continue my research

@+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/01/09, 22:47

Supple is quick to say ... concerning me I would say that the 2 windows that I broke, "damped", say, 1 to 2 cm before breaking "clean" ...

The problem is that the glass does not warn before it breaks: the noise is after ... : Mrgreen:

More generally: currently to self-build your solar panels (I'm not talking about the solar system but just the panels) you have to be very motivated or have a very special project because in the end, counting the subsidies and the exorbitant prices of the various materials, I would not be surprised if it costs more to self-build ... and without the factory guarantees, that is to say as much the performance as the material guarantee ...
0 x
touisk
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by touisk » 04/01/09, 23:12

As you say 1 to 2cm and hop for scrap. So take as much white glass as tempered glass. I don't think security would have stood up better.

To confirm.

Note: Even breaking glass means breaking a low-end glass no less resistant than the others in fact.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 04/01/09, 23:40

Heat-tempered glass ?

I remember having taken off and then moved a glass door, for painting work.
There was the handle and the hinges screwed into it through factory-made holes.

It was so heavy that I put the door vertically on the toes of my shoes.
Then to carry it, I put both hands on the sides of the door, at face height. To have a third point of support, I used my stomach, and so that the door sticks to the stomach and so that the grip of my hands does not slip, I squeezed hard with my hands, to lift it with my arms, while pushing hard forward with my thumbs.
Well without shock, this simple bending blew up the door safely.

This surprises! The boom, a door not found broken, and the mini pieces scattered in the 2 rooms ...
A simple bending with the thumbs!
0 x
touisk
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by touisk » 05/01/09, 12:48

Thanks gegyx for sharing your experience.

Reading you, I think you must have been disappointed with the resistance of safety glass.
What really happened in the glass? There must be "internal stresses" in the glass that will crack it to the point of failure. We push too hard in the wrong direction and hop the thousands of nuggets appear.

In short, this would make me say the opposite : safety glass would be less resistant than conventional glass (in your experience) but its debris is smaller and less sharp than conventional glass.

Would a classic glass (white glass) have this "sensitivity" to bending?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/01/09, 13:32

Uh, I'm playing on words, but wouldn't the current safety glass be the laminated glass used in cars? In short I have a doubt about the appellations. To summarize:

- tempered glass = "old" security which breaks into "a thousand pieces" still present on some old cars

- laminated glass = "new" securit = 2 tempered glass panes stuck on a "plastic" sheet and which remains "aglomerated" when it breaks.

I have good? I put new between "" because it must be 20 to 30 years since it was mounted I think.

Regarding the resistance of tempered glass:

Tempered glass is two to five times stronger than ordinary glass [1].

This resistance is obtained by passing the glass through an oven at several hundred degrees during its manufacture (thermal toughening). There is also a chemical quenching process (chemical quenching).

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verre_tremp%C3%A9

Now the term "resistance is vast": shock, compression, flexion ... a material NEVER reacts the same in all directions ...

So further:

This process creates deep tensions and compression on the surface of the glass, giving it superior mechanical properties, in terms of impact resistance.

It would seem that we have the answer ... this resistance would only concern "shocks" (the standard to define a shock is to define in joules of fall of an object of standard size, a ball I believe).

So I think tempered glass is more impact resistant but less bending / compressive? In other words: tempered glass would be less ductile and therefore more fragile! CQFD! : Mrgreen:

Otherwise I forgot to say it above, absolutely avoid the addition of IRON in the glass of a solar canopy! We notice it on the edge which is "verdadre". This glass absorbs / reflects IR radiation much more than single glass (ice).
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/01/09, 13:53

For purists, a good pdf on the resistance of tempered glass: https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... kI7vyN.pdf
0 x
cunseulair
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by cunseulair » 05/01/09, 14:32

Uh, I'm playing on words, but wouldn't the current safety glass be the laminated glass used in cars? In short, I have a doubt about the appellations

laminated glass is two layers of normal glass with a plastic film in between, it is softer and more impact resistant than all other glasses, in the event of an impact you can have glass that cracks and not the other, the glass therefore remains whole (but cracked)
0 x
The future is not in the rearview mirror
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 05/01/09, 14:35

I had worked for 2 months at St Gobain, the summer, in 1971.

Maintaining the molds, then manufacturing and tempering Duralex dishes.
The object leaving the matrix and going on a conveyor belt, a small jet of air, stroll of a few meters, where the most fragile glasses cracked.
Then for the quenching, the carpet passed through a refractory tunnel, supplied by gas torches.
After maybe 7m, the glass was cherry red at the exit, another 3m of walk, then it was subjected to jets of compressed air which cooled it.
The objects passed in front of an observer who spotted the defects, then, towards the packing line directly.
There was breakage. For the (Parisian) dessert plates, the production rate was very fast, and there was indeed one in three that left in pieces.
It is sure that after this treatment, those who remained had hard skin ...
:D
For the rubble, no problem, they were remelted for the following productions.

I had done a full first night on a manufacturing machine. Annoying! Hypnotic: heat, noise of presses, flash of flames and air jets, permanent control to prevent a glass from remaining in its mold, before another molten glass ball falls into the mold, because then the mold was scratched, and had to be changed for repair. The mold was removed without stopping the turntable and the manufacturing process.
Every minute it was necessary to check the weight of a molten glass ball and readjust the flow rate, to avoid gaps, or burrs, when passing the press.
The molds for objects with a handle (the cups), had to open to release the object by a vertical suction arm. If it doesn't open, rewrite the breakage.
So conscientious workers, every 3 minutes passed on the surface which opened a piece of crepe (shoe) at the end of an iron rod.
This one in contact with the hot metal, melted, with a smoke and an unbearable odor.
Last edited by gegyx the 05 / 01 / 09, 14: 42, 1 edited once.
0 x
cunseulair
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by cunseulair » 05/01/09, 14:38

suite
safety glass still exists in flat glass
The advantage of double glazing ???
0 x
The future is not in the rearview mirror

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."