The future will pass you it with biomass?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The future will pass you it with biomass?

by sicetaitsimple » 02/04/18, 18:03

sicetaitsimple wrote:Wood biomass is and will remain very expensive because there is not much to expect in terms of technological developments or lower equipment costs. No future, except for "small" local heat production installations.

The installation of Aix les Bains presented by Lessdewatt two posts above seems to me from this exemplary point of view in terms of dimensioning.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 02/04/18, 19:40

moinsdewatt wrote:
Ahmed wrote:I have used the term "mining" on purpose because it fits the current view of the forest as a stock. This probably results from its increase in surface area, a phenomenon linked to agricultural abandonment and also from a purely accounting vision of nature. It would obviously be necessary to reason in flow and not in stock, because this last notion is rather inconsistent with regard to the industrial exploitation envisaged: therefore, the analogy with the mine is justified.
From this point of view, I have many fears for the future, since precedents exist and, on the other hand, the temporality of the forest and that of the companies are antagonistic.
Your fear is not founded.
there is no forest in France that is completely razed for logging.
Think again, this is the politics of the figure now at the NFB http://www.lunion.fr/716155/article/201 ... des-forets

Same for the maintenance of hedges along roads. Now that the department is in charge, budgets must be tight. In my corner the hedges of trees and shrubs are shaved to white and burned on the spot. They do not even invest in grinding, whereas fire is forbidden for individuals. After that we are surprised that the birds disappear.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/04/18, 20:08

An installation like Aix-les-Bains is, of course, less bad than many others, but the multiplication of such units will nevertheless lead to aberrations, because of the initial assumption that is to believe that it is possible to replace the quantities of fossil fuels which, because of the facilities and quantities they offer, have unreasonably sized consumption.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 02/04/18, 20:56

Ahmed wrote:A facility like that of Aix-les-Bains is certainly less bad than many others,

Do you prefer to heat Mr. Putin's gas?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/04/18, 21:26

This is a reasoning by the absurd?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 02/04/18, 21:38

no, it's a question.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/04/18, 21:51

Why poutine?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 02/04/18, 22:16

Ahmed wrote:Why poutine?

Because Russia is one of the main gas suppliers to Europe, and it has a certain history in terms of shutting off the valves to its customers. Certainly so far vis-à-vis former satellite countries rather bad payers, but nothing says that this can not extend to others in the event of a crisis. "Why Putin" is just because he's the one who decides.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/04/18, 10:59

Of course, I understand that. We need gas and poutine has a vital need of the currencies that this gas gives him, which does not exclude, indeed, the possibility of temporary tensions (knowing that it is not our only source of supply). But this distances us from the subject, which is the impossibility of biomass to do better than to contribute marginally to current heating needs, otherwise we will devastate our forests entirely.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 03/04/18, 12:06

Ahmed wrote: But this distances us from the subject, which is the impossibility of biomass to do better than to contribute marginally to current heating needs, otherwise we will devastate our forests entirely.

I agree on the "marginal contribution", I wrote a little higher "wood biomass is and will remain very expensive because there is not much to expect in terms of technological developments or lower equipment costs. No future, except for "small" local heat production installations."It is obvious that too much pressure on the resource would only increase costs.

But "marginal" is not "nothing". To talk only about gas in France:

- current and future construction standards lead to "marginal" gas savings
- the energy renovation of buildings as well.
- the replacement (progressive of course) of old boilers by similar condensing boilers
- the injection of biomethane is very marginal, but we can think that it will increase in power
- The development of solar energy should bring, at least in the summer, a drop in the consumption of gas-fired plants (provided that it does not close too quickly nuclear power)
- maybe one day "Power to gas" will find an economic model.

If we add up all these marginalities and we know how to be patient because things are not done in a day, we can arrive at significant things.
2 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."