What to do with a wind of 1,5 m / s

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
thierry44
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

What to do with a wind of 1,5 m / s

by thierry44 » 02/11/10, 19:01

Hello,

I searched the net for several weeks including this forum and find nothing that comes close to my problem.

I live in Senegal and the place where I have to move does not have electricity. The average annual wind in Senegal is 1,5 or 2 m / s with a few days at 8m / s.

In view of what you see, it would be very difficult to produce with a wind turbine (s) a significant amount of electricity, of the order of 2 or 3 kw per day.

The photovoltaic solution is excluded because it is too expensive and random installation.

Do you think that one or more very light and oversized soapius (which model?), By optimizing all the elements, could do the trick.

Thank you for answering me, this problem is starting to really worry me.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 02/11/10, 19:42

even at low speed it is always the best traditional propeller wind turbine ... but it does not work miracles: with such a weak wind it will require a much larger propeller than usual

senegal, the sun should not be missing, photovoltaic is not the only solution, there is also thermodynamic solar: solar steam engine

2kw per day does not stand up

we can consume one energy per day, but 2kw is not an energy but a power!

if a wind turbine makes a power of 2kw it will make in one day an energy of 2kw x 24h = 48kwh

if your 2kw / day means 2kwh / day it means that it produces a power of 2kwh / 24h = 0,083 kw = 83w which is very low

beware these confusion between kw and kwh are often used in commercial doc to give wacky figures
0 x
thierry44
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by thierry44 » 02/11/10, 19:57

Ideally I would need 3 kw per day. I was talking about soapius, because I have to make my own, the supply of wind turbines is very small and totally unsuitable for the speed of the Senegalese wind. Soapius seems much easier to make.

Solar steam? I haven't read anything about it yet. I'll look
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 02/11/10, 19:58

For the wind, the lowest speed solution I know of is this type of wind turbine with lots of little blades:
http://www.missouriwindandsolar.com/800 ... bines.html

I don't know them, but it's another post that said he bought a wind turbine there, but I forgot which one :-(

By putting a smaller generator, you must have something. At least, according to what you say, you seem to have a regular wind: continuous production is sometimes more advantageous than a strong but irregular wind. By putting more wind turbines, you increase your power reliably, especially if the wind is stable at night.

But as Chatelot16 says, we must also think of solar thermal.

In fact, you must first know what you want to do with electricity. If it is for heating water for example, it is not the right technique :-)

I am not sure either that the solar panels should be removed immediately. Installed in pergola, it is not expensive and you can install them gradually, year after year.

You also need to have an idea of ​​your budget to help you.
0 x
See you soon !
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 02/11/10, 20:10

thierry44 wrote:Ideally I would need 3 kw per day.

As Chatelot pointed out to you, I imagine it is more like 3kWh: an energy.

3kWh distributed throughout the day, it is 3000W.h / 24h = 125W of power on average.

Or 300W of average power for 10 hours straight.

According to the diagram of 9 or 11 pale wind turbines, they must rotate at 600 revolutions per minute to produce 200W, with the generator by default.

If you have only one solar panel of 250W peak, and you have the sun for 10h per day, you will produce 2500Wh, so with 2 panels you will have more than 3kWh per day and it will cost you $ 500 per panel by counting $ 2 / Wcrête (Chinese price, certainly findable in Africa), by fitting them yourself.

But to do what ? Do you need it day or night?
0 x
See you soon !
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 02/11/10, 20:15

you repeat the same nonsense

it's like you said I need a volume of water of 3m2 ... the m2 is not a unit of volume of water, so someone who requests a volume on the surface necessarily makes a mistake

in your case it's the same
the power is in kw
the energy is in kWh

kw / day has no meaning! it is the sign of an error

first specify where this figure comes from
0 x
thierry44
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by thierry44 » 02/11/10, 20:39

chatelot16, Mea culpa to dare to say an ineptitude but I think that you perfectly understood what I am talking about even if it is an absurdity. But if it makes you happy to take me back ... You don't bother.

This consumption is the calculation of the power of the devices X number of hours of operation over 24 hours

In Senegal a 250 w panel is worth rather $ 800 and this kind of Chinese material is not yet found.

My electrical need is rather during the day except the fridge which works a little at night and the light. And I would not heat water with electricity.

I'm actually going to search for solar steam engines.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 02/11/10, 21:00

there were 2 ways to understand

either the error and the day so you want a 3kw wind turbine: it's big

either the error is kw instead of kwh and you want a wind turbine of 3kwh / day which makes 125w of power: it's very small

between these 2 extreme I could not choose for you!

now that you specify how you calculated we clearly know that it was 3kwh / day therefore 125w so fesable with a large wind turbine

remains to know where this 1.5m / s comes from: if it is a simple measurement with an anemometer, you may have the good surprise to know that the wind is faster at the top of a large mast
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 02/11/10, 21:14

For solar panels, you can look at this for example:

http://www.china-solar.com/products.php

How long is the day in this area? This will allow you to size. If not, you can try to find someone who has panels, to see the production compared to the installed peak power.

They have wind turbines, but only 3 pale, which is not good in weak winds. And the mechanical part is not necessarily the best. Check out the other US site instead.

For the solar concentration steam engine, I don't know any operational ones, and the mechanical parts will be more sensitive than solar panels.

Keep us posted, I find this problem interesting.
0 x
See you soon !
thierry44
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by thierry44 » 02/11/10, 21:33

the speed comes from test made by the national meteo at 8 m from the ground,

It would be tempting to import directly from China but an almost impossible solution for an individual in Senegal: customs harassment, exorbitant customs duties ...

it is for all these reasons that I turned to self-built soapius wind turbines.

What I found for solar boilers are where toys or monsters. In addition, the complexity of the manufacturing does not allow me to consider constriure.

It is a complex problem in a good third of Africa, solving it at a reasonable cost would interest many people.
0 x