12V small hydroelectric turbine on a river

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 26/12/08, 15:54

Please note:
Glued wood does not fit in water ...
Your wheel won't spin for a long time :?
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 26/12/08, 16:00

maybe it's marine plywood?
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 26/12/08, 16:51

impeller or turbine it takes flow x pressure to make power

It still takes a lot of elevation to significantly increase the pressure

the pressure is in any case proportional to the difference in level: without difference in level, it is still water without power

if the slope of the river is very low, there is little hope

to have power at the end of a pipe, the pressure drop in the pipe must be lower than the slope

big for the mills we often made a canal at the side of the valley, deriving the river with less slope than the natural course: at the level of the mill there is a sufficient elevation to drive a wheel or a turbine
0 x
Olivier22
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Olivier22 » 26/12/08, 17:01

chatelot16 wrote:to have power at the end of a pipe, the pressure drop in the pipe must be lower than the slope
The pressure drop depends on the speed, which depends on the pressure drop and the slope. It is a self-balancing whole; water will always flow from a sloping pipe regardless of the pressure drop. What is limited is the flow

I don't see the point of creating pressure for a small mill, rather than putting it on the water. The diversions creating a point difference ... it is to be able to arrive above a paddle wheel (using gravity)
Or to create speed from an inert body of water like in mountain dams.
0 x
Sailing and water
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Reply to bob lamouche

by Sailing and water » 26/12/08, 17:55

Good evening
I come across this forum maybe a little late.
I built a special aerogenerator http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x39yak ... n_politics
this system works in water as well, but with paddles it is very simple to perform.
I would like to help you to implement it.
But for that I need to know the flow of this pretty stream.
To know it approximately, you can measure the average height of water in the bed, the width of the bed and measure its speed. (With a float)
with that I can make you a sketch and give you the dimension of this device.
By the way where is this river ???
see you soon if you wish
Charles
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 26/12/08, 18:08

water will always flow from a sloping pipe regardless of the pressure drop. What is limited is the flow

if you leave the end of the pipe open you have the maximum flow rate: all the drop is lost in pressure drop: maximum flow x zero pressure = zero power

if you plug the bottom of the pipes, zero flow: zero pressure drop: pressure exactly determined by the difference in level, but good pressure x zero flow = zero power

to have the maximum power, you must as always make a compromise, choose a flow rate, or the pressure drop does not lose all the pressure

ol must also make the pipe large enough so that the pressure drop is low

a good solution is to make a dam: the water level in the river increases and the water passage section becomes very large, negligible pressure drop: but it must be able to do it: it can flood a large area

the stroke of the derivation by a touyaux is easier to try
0 x
Boblamouche
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Boblamouche » 26/12/08, 18:26

Good evening everyone!

lejustemilieu wrote:Please note:
Glued wood does not fit in water ...
Your wheel won't spin for a long time :?

The wood of my wheel is not glued, if you look closely, it is screwed.
Otherwise I plan to varnish it. considering that it is a prototype for the moment I think that it will be necessary to leave it some time before it deteriorates!

Otherwise I said at the beginning of this topic, I want to make a removable installation, which requires a minimum of modification of the river bed.
So no holes, no bypass channels and even less concrete.
Basically, I just want to mount a paddle wheel supported by two bearings (ball bearings). These bearings are mounted on homemade tripods which will be placed in the river bed. The wheel will spin like its, over the water.
Ultimately I would make a makeshift barrage (stacked pebbles) to concetre the current on my wheel. I would just have to remove the tripods and my wheel and the stream will be as before!

>> For those who are from the alternator, I have recovered one of deuche.

In my eyes the adventure is multiple:

I have a fairly wide nominal speed range, since it is intended for a car engine. But the lowest rated speed is great: around 1000 rpm from what I could get as information on the alternator I have.

2nd advantage: since the speed varies depending on the flow and the flow is never stable, I need to regulate the alternator excitation to have a stable voltage. However I recovered the regulation which was on the deuche, therefore this problem is eliminated.

So if I am my reason: I do a speed test with my wheel in real conditions, and I calculate a reducer to obtain at least in the 1000 rpm on my alternator, and voila!

What do you think?

>>> Sailing and water

Exellent as a concept!
However I do not know if this system is suitable for my case. the water speed is low where there is bottom, my wheel will rotate with a depth of 10cm mini.
But to see if it does not require a lot of speed, I could do it floating.
I will try to make measurements in the coming days, it's not obvious because it is a wild river with an irregular bottom (hence my intention not to touch it too much) it is found in Ardeche towards Aubenas .
In addition, the flow rate will have to be revised downwards, since I intend to use the installation in the summer.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 26/12/08, 18:44

I'm not talking about the assembly, but the structure of the wood
There is plywood ... not good ..
I'm talking about an octagonal song :D
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 26/12/08, 18:49

the original regulator of a car alternator is worth nothing for a water wheel, turbine or wind turbine

the regulator is good for an engine that is far too powerful: when the engine idles, it increases the excitation to make the current which is consumed in 14v

but with a wheel of limited power: the slightest slowing down of the wheel causes an increase in the excitation, which slows down the wheel even more and makes it stall

you must start by removing the regulator and replace it with a simple reostat allowing you to find the optimum excitation to let the wheel turn at optimum speed

then it will be necessary to make a special regulator, always seeking the optimum speed
0 x
Boblamouche
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Boblamouche » 26/12/08, 18:50

lejustemilieu wrote:

I'm not talking about the assembly, but the structure of the wood
There is plywood ... not good ..
I'm talking about an octagonal song :D

Effectively : Mrgreen:

If the system works, I would replace it with navy.

the original regulator of a car alternator is worth nothing for a water wheel, turbine or wind turbine

the regulator is good for an engine that is far too powerful: when the engine idles, it increases the excitation to make the current which is consumed in 14v

but with a wheel of limited power: the slightest slowing down of the wheel causes an increase in the excitation, which slows down the wheel even more and makes it stall

you must start by removing the regulator and replace it with a simple reostat allowing you to find the optimum excitation to let the wheel turn at optimum speed

then it will be necessary to make a special regulator, always seeking the optimum speed

I hadn't thought about it. It is also possible that the wheel never turns, I sent excitation being too powerful than that given by the wheel ... the alternator itself becoming too heavy a load (yield <0) Nif. : Cry:

The excitation must be adjusted with care, or I do not have the necessary information for the calculation (unless I do the tests myself)

I could manually set the excitation according to the flow of the day with a voltmeter and the switch ... the old way Image
0 x