Self-built wind turbine with electric bike engine

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Self-built wind turbine with electric bicycle motor

by izentrop » 12/11/18, 19:40

kV is kilovolts and what counts is the power delivered for a given speed.
Any idea of ​​the number of poles of your 15 kv motor so as not to argue in a vacuum?

I had given a link with a realization starting from a motor of VAE of 500 W http://reso-nance.org/wiki/projets/velo_energie/accueil
They obtain a power of 200 W with a fairly high speed, since it is a skate wheel driven by the bicycle wheel. Image

Pierre820, if the engine comes out in 2 wires, you can use the same regulator which costs only a few euros.
0 x
Pierre820
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Pierre820 » 12/11/18, 20:15

I think it's normal that they had to pedal a lot, it's a 2500 RPM engine. It is a vault motor but not a wheel motor. This motor is surely connected to gears to turn the wheel of the bicycle which will then have torque.
The motor I am going to buy and a wheel motor so the question of the rotation speed is less important. By cons no it will not come out in two threads but in three phase. So I need a rectifier diode bridge before the regulator.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/11/18, 22:16

In this case you need this kind of regulator Image
I have not seen a wheel motor at less than 150 E. At this price, there are small 500 W wind turbines.

If you want to build your wind turbine from A to Z, this association organizes self-construction courses https://www.tripalium.org/
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/18, 22:26

You give bad advice there ... AMHA ... :? :? :?

The easiest solution is a brushless wheel motor with a brushless regulator which allows regeneration under braking and which would be 100% of the time in regeneration mode ...

I said it above.

What you need is just 1 propeller + 1 motor in regenerative mode + 1 regulator + possibly 1 DC-DC converter if the regulator voltage is not compatible with the batteries ...
0 x
Pierre820
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Pierre820 » 13/11/18, 16:12

Ok thank you again for this clarification.
I looked at a lot of engine type and some info on regeneration and I realize that not all engines can do it, at least in engine mounting on a bike. That is to say that if the engine is fitted with a freewheel and is not in direct drive, then regeneration is not possible. And I'm not talking about the freewheel linked to the crankset.
So can any vae motor be used anyway as a generator or do I have to find a direct drive or direct drive motor?
Thank you
0 x
Pierre820
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Pierre820 » 13/11/18, 16:44

Ah and another problem, I can't find a bicycle engine regulator that has the regeneration function ...
0 x
Christophe68
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Christophe68 » 13/11/18, 21:05

Pierre820 wrote:So the rectifier bridge ok not too complicated. Then the regulator is it ultimately essential?
For having tried it on a cordless screwdriver motor, when I idle I get fairly high voltages, up to 50V. By cons as soon as I put a load, with a LED bulb for example the voltage does not exceed 14V with the same speed of rotation. So if I connect directly to the batteries (which total 750Ah) these will not absorb all of the power by increasing the amperage rather than the voltage?

You still have your 50 volts. They are simply dispersed in the winding. You can see it as a voltage divider whose led is the first resistance and copper resistance the second. So if you have 1 amp circulating, you have 14 watts absorbed by the led and 36 by the motor. The performance is bad.
If you did the same thing with a big motor, the coil would melt because its resistance is weaker and it could not dissipate all the heat.

Now in the case of your wind turbine, the wind will not be strong enough for that (except a storm if not protected).
Simply when the wheel reaches around 100 rpm, the engine will be strongly braked and will remain at this speed, while for ideal performance its speed should remain proportional to that of the wind.
The 750Ah batteries will be strong enough to absorb the current, but once charged, the current will continue to flow and cause a destructive overvoltage for the batteries which will overheat because they will transform the excess power into heat.

Pierre820 wrote:As for hoverboard motors, are they better candidates because they drive at lower speeds than a bicycle and suddenly would need less rotation per minute to generate the same current?
Because in addition they seem to me cheaper than a paddle wheel with equivalent power.

A hoverboard motor is 15kv. There are HS hoverboards (it's almost always the card or the battery) for around 30 €.

Pierre820 wrote:I looked at a lot of engine type and some info on regeneration and I realize that not all engines can do it, at least in engine mounting on a bike. That is to say that if the engine is fitted with a freewheel and is not in direct drive, then regeneration is not possible.

Any electric motor can operate as a generator. If there is a mechanical freewheel, simply turn the engine upside down. The direction of rotation is reversible.

Pierre820 wrote:Ah and another problem, I can't find a bicycle engine regulator that has the regeneration function ...

I do not know, it does not exist to my knowledge, or so it is very little known.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/11/18, 01:52

I don't know if this is good advice, but rather than tinkering with an engine and without doing an internship at Tripalium, you can buy the manual and follow it https://www.la-terre-des-survivalistes. ... video.html
0 x
Pierre820
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Pierre820 » 14/11/18, 09:31

@christopher.
Thank you so I will have to find a wind turbine regulator or try to tinker one from a vae regulator. I tell myself that if I find the electronic diagram someone can tell me if it is feasible or not.
For the engines, I will probably turn to hoverboards because they are actually cheaper and easier to find for equivalent powers, especially since my plan for the flywheel fell into the water.

@izentrop.
Yes, I have a lot to watch for the self-construction of the generator but it remains time consuming and expensive compared to a hoverboard engine. And if my prototype works it will be easy to reproduce it to increase the production power.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/11/18, 10:03

Here a hoverboard motor used as a generator.
We see that it uses a diode bridge recovered from a car alternator and a solar regulator, a wind regulator, like the photo I put, should not be more expensive.
It shows that at about 580 rpm, it delivers 10 A at 14 V, or about 140 W. If it is supported, there will be interest in cooling : Wink:
0 x