Renewed interest in hydrogen filiere

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Renewed interest in hydrogen filiere

by Obelix » 08/11/06, 11:07

Hello,

Just a quick note to alert you to actions underway in research circles on the existence of fossil hydrogen!
A very high probability of pockets of fossil hydrogen has been discovered in the underwater environment.
Following systematic studies of the deep sea, a research campaign may be carried out in the South Pacific to determine the location of pockets of fossil hydrogen.
These gas pockets have been seen in sonar maps and will be studied further.
European credits have been made available to the scientific community to specify their exact location and their approximate volume!

I can not, at the moment, give you any serious link reversing or confirming, but the idea itself is quite extraordinary to be broadcast

Obelix
0 x
pluesy
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by pluesy » 08/11/06, 12:04

at least with hydrogen we don't risk the oil spill : Cheesy: on the other hand I think that the sailors who will transport it will have to be non-smoker and have a good risk premium ... : Mrgreen:
0 x

"There are only two infinite things, the universe and human stupidity ... but for the world, I have no absolute certainty."
[Albert Einstein]
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/06, 12:09

What concerns me is rather the energy potential contained in these reserves ... if the pressure is not very strong it must not have much as energy.

I recall that the H2 is 27 times lighter than air, 1 m3 at atmospheric pressure therefore contains only about 5800 kJ whereas a m2 of natural gas contains about 36 000 ...
0 x
pluesy
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by pluesy » 08/11/06, 12:34

moreover it's always fossil ...

while our only salvation I think is the renewable

even if there are large reserves they will inevitably run out one day ...

the problem of hydrogen is transportation and storage the discovery of significant fossil deposits could perhaps accelerate research and development in this sector in order to pass more easily to the renewable hydrogen then
0 x

"There are only two infinite things, the universe and human stupidity ... but for the world, I have no absolute certainty."
[Albert Einstein]
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/06, 12:54

pluesy wrote:moreover it's always fossil ...

Fossil in absolute terms yes ... but not within the meaning of the common definition which designates a carbonaceous compound (uranium does not fall into this category ...) ...

I mean that it does remove a serious disadvantage to fossil energy: the CO2 releases ...
0 x
pluesy
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by pluesy » 08/11/06, 13:25

non-polluting certainly but certainly exhaustible ...

so it can only be a temporary transition solution but certainly not a definitive one ...
the whole thing and to know of what respite the fossil hydrogen sector allows us to have to find other solutions: 1an? 10 years? 100ans? 1000 years?
0 x

[Albert Einstein]
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/06, 13:32

Uh in my opinion it's 10ans no more ... and again ...

After will have to see with methane hydrate ... : Cry:
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 08/11/06, 14:11

It will also be necessary to develop a whole distribution chain and new products (storage, use (engine, burner, etc.) which could be re-used with hydrogen coming from a more renewable source.
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 08/11/06, 14:42

Another "small" concern about this "fossil" hydrogen: if the reserves are at great depth and at low pressure, the extraction costs may not be trivial both in terms of energy and financial terms. .
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 08/11/06, 15:47

Re,

Small details:
The pressures are of the order of 300 to 600 bars at least!
The "pockets" detectable by these technologies are quite large (detection of differences in the speed of sound in air and in hydrogen) we can therefore think that they are close to a cubic kilometer!
The transport of hydrogen by pipes and much more profitable than the one of the electricity by cable in term of transfer of energy thus of cost.
Drilling holes at 6000 meters under water is a mastered technique at present and only poses problems of return on investment.

Obelix
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."