Questions about solar and wind regulators

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Questions about solar and wind regulators

by darwenn » 05/10/09, 15:35

Hello, why is it not possible to connect a wind turbine to a solar regulator?

At equivalent power and input voltage of course. What is the difference between these two types of regulators and why are they so distinct?

I think I understand that with a solar panel regulator, when the battery is full, we cut the power. With a wind regulator, we deviate to resistors or something else.

But wouldn't it be possible to use a solar regulator and ditto, cut off the current when the battery is full? if we do not want to specially divert the surplus? I have already seen solar regulators with deviation of the excess charge.

If someone can explain to me why it is not possible to use a solar regulator in wind power, that interests me.
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 05/10/09, 17:12

Hello Darwenn,

On a solar electric circuit, if you open the charging circuit, it is safe for the solar panels.
For a wind turbine, opening the circuit amounts to letting it rotate freely without load (no resistive torque on the generator shaft). In case of strong wind, this is guaranteed runaway and this leads to the destruction of the wind turbine by overspeed.

A+
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 05/10/09, 17:30

Ok thank you looping, because my wind regulator manufactured according to plans on the net, I find it rather doubtful. Out of curiosity and as the south wind gave well, I put my solar regulator instead, and there and well there was no photo, the battery charge voltage rose very well and significantly better without the wind turbine needs to spin like crazy, which is the case with the other regulator. It was for a test and I wanted to understand the difference. I will try to find a good cheap wind regulator then, because mine .....

If someone can advise me a cheap one, I'm interested.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 05/10/09, 17:38

In addition, the characteristics of the source are very different:

perfect direct current on one side. often high voltage

quite different from an alternator .......
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 05/10/09, 19:14

Yes I suppose that the direct current of a solar panel is better than that of a wind turbine redressed by a diode bridge. But is this of paramount importance in terms of performance? I'm less sure. That said the wind turbine at full speed and empty sends me 26 volts for a 15 groin of amps against 23 for the solar panel and 350 millis, nothing to do, but I asked the question in the case of equal powers. In my tests, on one side as on the other the solar regulator (with the panel or the wind turbine) plays its role well in output and dependent but the amperage is not the same, the wind turbine is good more powerful and my solar regulator tolerates 4A max. But it was just for testing and it allowed me to see that it is my wind regulator which is bad, so I can advise and find a better one now and which this time will work well.
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 05/10/09, 19:58

Let me pass out for a moment ...

If you find solar regulators for 50 euros or 60 euros and 10 amps, count a minimum of $200 for a wind turbine regulator : Shock:

argh!
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 05/10/09, 20:31

On the off chance, I submit a hypothesis. : Cheesy: I tinkered in electronics with a comparator with an LM311 for another application. I stick a relay and take it off at a threshold of my choice. For example I stick the relay at 13v and take it off at 11V. With this principle I told myself that it is possible to detect the fully charged battery (voltage greater than 13v) and detect its discharge (less than 11v). If the voltage is higher than 13v the relay deflects the output of the regulator (solar) to something else, a resistance, a second battery ...

In this case with this system, a 20A solar regulator for example could be suitable, in case of full battery, the regulator circuit will not open, but will be diverted by the comparator relay to a resistor. So the wind turbine would never be free. Finally it is a theory there that I put out, I am looking for an effective and cheaper solution given the price asked for a shunt regulator for wind turbines.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 05/10/09, 20:48

Darwenn, stop fantasizing:

PV panels and wind turbines are subject to very variable and complex regimes: wind shifts, passing cloud, etc.

Only microprocessor systems responding to relatively complex algorithms are capable of validly carrying out the adaptation work, possibly via switching circuits and (large) capacitor banks.

Solar regulation is a little simpler if you want to accept large yield losses. Also, let's not forget that you are talking about very small solar panels connected to a battery that takes what it can.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 05/10/09, 20:51

Hello,

Everything is only a question of definition: Image
1) - A wind turbine is a generator of voltage proportional to its speed of rotation.
2) - A solar panel is a generator of current proportional to its illumination.

We cannot therefore ensure identical regulation for both without setting up a gas plant based on a specialized processor with double regulation loop.

Obelix Image
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 05/10/09, 20:59

In the case where I speak of the solution with a comparator, it is for a wind turbine connected to a solar regulator, and not with a small solar panel. The comparator relay used to divert the load coming from the regulator to a second battery or a resistor. I may not have made myself clear yet. I do not fantasize, I inquire. Sometimes it is not useful to make complicated for things to work well, I am not looking for the absolute miracle, but for the small practical solution which would have everything of a great. If it does not exist, at least I will have exposed an idea, and if it is eccentric then it will serve as a lesson to others :D

A wise man once said "all scientists and researchers in the world confirm that our idea is not feasible, we only have one thing left to do, to achieve it" : Cheesy: maybe he was silly this wise finally

I'm kidding, you're right, but I'm just wondering if there is any other cheaper way to regulate a wind turbine load effectively.
0 x