Questions about the AIR X 400 wind turbine

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 09/11/09, 09:03

Forhorse, if you do like me, that you order your panels in England via ebay, for the price of the wind turbine + 100 euros you will have 300w of photovoltaic and delivered within 5 days. In France a single 100w panel is already worth at least 600 to 700 euros and on eBay in England 350 euros shipping costs included / (forget China, the panels are not expensive but the shipping costs they sometimes inflate to 200 euros, lepiege ). And the interest that I saw immediately in my system is to save money on my annual bill, so summer and winter. In summer I do not light up so either I will power the pumps or the lighting of my fish tank on my property, or either my fridge (in summer it pumps a fridge) and it will annoy me to have to pedal my girlfriend on an alternator or ask her to blow on my wind turbine so that it turns : Cheesy:

Coming back to the air X wind turbine, what I would like to do is find someone who is in the same context as me and who has an air-x and who confirms to me that he is happy with it and that it produces every day or almost even with a wind of 10kmh in the center of a small town in a slightly open terrain where the houses are in an 80 meter perimeter around the wind turbine which is 6m high. There I would say ok it should work, otherwise I will buy a second panel which will make me 200w 12A of load. As obviously I am the only one in this context, if I buy an air-X and to avoid having to resell it at a loss considering its price, I will buy it second-hand or will look for a very good deal, we have already seen air X 400 new sell 500 euros by looking well. Or in the USA (where it is made) but there is the risk of customs fees as I was told and it is not nothing.
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 09/11/09, 11:16

Hello,

I'm back !
Okay, I think you took the problem from the wrong end!
The first thing to do is measure the wind speed at the exact place where you plan to put your wind turbine! (same location, same height) and as long as possible.
This will give you a good overview of the possibilities of recovering energy.
Then it will always be time to define the "right" machine!

@Darwenn
My wind turbines are on a summit at 700m above sea level and their situation is almost ideal. The problem is that they do not accept too fast winds and they are often safe.
However, we can expect an average of every other day of operation.

@Forhorse
Calculating wind power is very simple:
P = 0.5 * d * S * V ^ 3
with d = air density (1.225 kg.m ^ 3 altitude 0m)
with S = surface SWEEPED by the wind turbine in M²
with V = wind speed in m / s
Then you have to apply the efficiency coefficient of the wind turbine to have the output power. This coefficient varies between 0.2 and 0.4 and cannot in any case exceed 0.59 (Betz limit)
Sales notices are often misleading and a quick calculation can raise the bar!

@ Both :
For your solar panels have you thought about using amorphous silicon. Yes it is not a terrible return (6%) but with CIGS (9%) we improve! On the other hand at equal peak power we recover twice as much energy per 24h! And they continue to operate in overcast weather!
A very simple test consists in using a garden lamp cell found in a recycling center and taking "real" measurements!

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 09/11/09, 13:03

Darwen, I am "allergic" to ebay, no way I go through these thieves to buy anything. Especially since most of the sellers who are on this site are professionals who have their own sales site, why bother with an intermediary.

Obelix, without making any measurements I think that the place where I want to put mine is not too badly exposed. But what I fear is the raphales precisely, I think it might be like on the site you are telling us about and that if I put a wind turbine either the wind will be too weak to be productive, or it will become safe due to too strong wind.

For solar, I want to, even in amorphous silicon, but how much I can hope to recover energy on a winter day in overcast weather with an installation of 120-150Wp?
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 09/11/09, 21:51

Well I have always done very good business on ebay, but if you want to go through a store directly in England (or Belgium is not bad either price) you can see it with google. And recently Ebay offers classified ads from individuals, take a look. And me for having done some tests in self-construction and for having watched pasmal of video of small wind turbines some of which film their ammeter we see that with a small wind turbine it varies enormously, the load is never constant, it depends on the gusts we go from 0 to 20 amps, from 5 to 10 etc ... and that in a few seconds, and that's what scares me. But good with a mppt regulator like on the air X maybe this is more stable, still it is necessary that the wind is still sufficient for the wind turbine to come out of the amps. The advantage of solar is that the charge current is constant (unless a cloud passes, l (needle drops) and one day is enough to charge my two batteries with my 100W panel for the evening and the next morning for the lighting of my house (I plan to add two panels for the spring, which will make me 300w of power for a total cost of 900 euros) rather than the wind turbine finally I believe that I will opt for two other panels rather than an air X 400, but what I will do to be sure, it is already as obelix says, to buy a small anemometer and to make regular measurements to already have an idea of ​​the wind that I really have on average per day / week and month and conclude whether or not an air X would suit me or not.

Anyway, in rainy weather it died on the load side with my poly crystalline panel, there's no miracle, it's like a wind turbine when there is no wind.

To give you a little idea of ​​what I get from my 100w panel, even if I have only been using it for a few weeks, it remains for information only, I must see over time.

I use my solar panel since October 21, added to that I replaced all my bulbs with low consumption, I lit for free 26 hours already (including two hours where it was the TV that worked on it for testing ) since October 21 with my 100w panel, my two batteries and my 600W inverter.

My bill for the two months of September October is 60 euros less compared to my bill from last year for the same months and minus 80 euros for that of the year Sept / Oct 2007, and it is the lowest bill for 8 years that I live here. I am waiting to see in the longer term. It is the accumulation of all that I have done that has made this savings over these two months only (bulbs, solar panel, device standby etc ...)

If we look at 26 hours of use since October 21, it's been over an hour of using my inverter per night and in the morning for TV or laptop lighting for now. So I can do more with two other panels (knowing that it is in winter so the least favorable period for solar) if really the wind turbine was not suitable, but yes there are 3 or 4 evenings when I can not use my batteries due to rainy weather.
0 x
Requested
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

AirX wind turbine

by Requested » 19/11/09, 15:31

Hello Darwenn,
The AirX wind turbine produces nothing at 10 km / h. It starts up very quickly but produces nothing. It takes +/- 20 Km / h to have a low production. It gets serious between 30 and 40 km / h. Above, the brake system slows down the rotation speed and severely limits production. This machine makes noise. At low speed, so when there is little wind, it is unpleasant. At high speed, it is very bearable because the wind also generates noise and covers that of the AirX. It is best to stop the AirX in light winds.
These observations apply to the machine mounted on a mast more than 10m high.
My experience: 9 years of production with the Air 403 (Idem AirX without braking system). The wind is here (Sahara) often between 25 and 45 km / h. Very satisfied in these conditions. Today I have an AirX. Production is lower due to its braking system. After 5 months of operation it is broken down!
Do not hesitate to contact me.
Good luck and best regards.
Luke Requilee
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 19/11/09, 20:57

Thank you Luc, Yes that's what I thought, it turns and it's funny but it does not produce anything below 20kmh and it must not be terrible at these speeds which are the most frequent.

I will not need it anyway until autumn if I decided to buy one, here in autumn it blows well in the north of France and almost every day.

A few days ago it sold an air x in perfect condition, 338 euros on Ebay, I was ready to buy it except that the seller was an Englishman who refused to sell it to a French ... : Evil:

Me it is the noise it makes that does not attract me, in use in a village like me, it will not do it, if it is for the neighbors to yell .... in addition the brake system looks rather penalizing. I'll see, I know that there are other wind turbines of the same size like the black (which is white) for less (600 euros new) and above all much quieter and with the integrated regulator also.

If someone has other models to offer in the same genre and that works well, I'm interested in the info.
0 x
tazar
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

alternative model to air x

by tazar » 02/02/10, 22:33

Hello,
in wind turbines the problem is noise. Only the breeze is discreet but does not produce much. The air x would be superb but too noisy if there is turbulence.
http://www.h2osmose.com/airx/
I had 3 installed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FTFsmbIGDI

I bought one from futurenergy and since then I sleep peacefully producing a lot of energy
http://www.h2osmose.com/alize5/

there are lots of new ones but that I don't know, see on
http://www.allsmallwindturbines.com/
0 x