Where did Calypso II go?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 30/03/08, 19:13

zac wrote:But hey it's not a legend it did exist (at one time he was in Fort Lauderdale waiting for the experts after a dismantling)

I had seen a report a few years ago on the Alcyone which was advancing well in strong winds, but a matt sail (I can't remember if there was one or two) was at risk of falling because it had unsoldered at the base. There they tried to reweld the aluminum in the open sea but it did not hold.
I don't know what happened to the device afterwards.
0 x
Pierre-Yves
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pierre-Yves » 30/03/08, 21:27

Almost all systems with turbo sails (Cousteau) or rigid sails have failed.

From a theoretical point of view, these sails can have a very good performance, much better than a conventional canvas sail. For now, the blocking point is the mechanical resistance in bad weather. A boat, it rocks, rolls, pounds, vibrates ... and it subjects certain parts to extremely harsh conditions, which lead to the breakage of the equipment.

The center of thrust (relative to the wind) is placed much higher than the center of gravity, which constitutes an important lever arm. Imagine what it feels like when the boat is rocked all over the place ...

In the 80s, during the second oil shock, there were several boats of this type in England and especially in Japan. Everything has been abandoned (too expensive, too much maintenance).
0 x
optimization, energy savings
http://www.avel-vor.fr
aidiv
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by aidiv » 30/03/08, 23:08

0 x
jomo59
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by jomo59 » 13/09/09, 22:27

Hello everyone.

So for info:

- The first boat with a turbosail from Cousteau was called "Le Moulin à Vent" (1983), it was a prototype that worked.

- He gave birth to "L" Alcyone "(1985), equipped with 2 turbosails and which can be seen in many Cousteau films. This boat is still in operation.

- The Calypso II was a project which effectively did not succeed.

- La Calypso (1942) is being completely restored in Concarneau.

Voilààà ...
Last edited by jomo59 the 13 / 09 / 09, 23: 10, 2 edited once.
0 x
It's beautiful, it looks like veal.
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 13/09/09, 22:36

Nice entrance on the forum, Jomo, welcome and thank you.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
jomo59
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by jomo59 » 13/09/09, 23:07

Well thank you. As soon as I hear "Calypso", the prettiest boat in the world, my ears move ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
It's beautiful, it looks like veal.