MYRTLE Corsica store solar electricity into hydrogen

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/01/12, 15:45

It is certain that there are a lot of possibilities (see wikipedia batteries and batteries and other links), but the price is essential, and storing low-efficiency photovoltaic electricity is absurd.
As much to store the solar thermal before conversion or to make algae or vegetables (dragging everywhere) to make oil, is much better.

Otherwise, I repeat, the land is free, more than a thousand times cheaper than any other salt, rechargeable, stored chemical, etc. product.
The m3 of soil is worth the kg anything smarter and more efficient for storing (and there are thousands of possible solutions)
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/01/12, 17:43

Where does Dédéleco get this estimate? : Shock:

I can see myself with my tire, hitch a trailer to put the earth in it : Cheesy: 65 m3 how much does it weigh?
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 15/01/12, 18:23

dedeleco wrote:As much to store solar thermal before conversion

Heat storage is one thing, electricity storage is another, especially that produced irregularly by wind turbines.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 15/01/12, 19:01

On the same subject : http://www.habiter-autrement.org/12.ene ... 9_ener.htm
"A team of Australian engineers from the University of New South Wales, Sydney, have found a way to store electricity in tanks, in liquid form. The wind power station on King Island, an island in the south of Australia, has been experimenting since 2003 with a circulating accumulator which stores the excess electricity produced when the wind blows hard to restore it when it weakens.
This system could remove one of the obstacles hindering the development of renewable energies, by allowing them to supply the grid in the absence of wind or sun. On King Island, the thermal generator that takes over from the wind turbines when there is no wind has seen its fuel consumption cut by half. "The principle of these batteries has been known for a long time, but no one had succeeded in bringing it to the commercialization stage", says Maria Skyllas-Kazacos, the chemical engineer who has directed research at the University of New York for twenty years. -South Wales on these accumulators.
Unlike conventional lead batteries, the latter use electrolytes (liquids in which the accumulator plates are immersed) which are not stored inside, but in two external tanks. It is their contact, in a central tank, which produces electricity. For recharging, the supply of current from the wind turbines ensures the separation of the two electrolytes, which are again stored in their reservoirs. The advantage of the circulation system over conventional batteries lies in its capacity to supply both a kilowatt hour and several hundred megawatt hours.
The King Island accumulator can thus deliver 200 kilowatts of electricity for four hours. “Theoretically, the storage capacities are unlimited: it suffices to increase the capacity of the electrolyte tanks,” confirms Ms. Skyllas-Kazacos. King Island's four tanks hold 55 liters. To save space, it is possible to store them underground. A handful of wind power plants are already testing the system, on the Japanese island of Hokkaido or in the United States."
Last edited by Cuicui the 15 / 01 / 12, 23: 01, 2 edited once.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/01/12, 19:07

Palm oil or a basic salt to melt or any other original industrial product, how much is it ???
Around around € per liter or Kg,! !

The m3 underground heated by drilling 20mm in diameter every 2m distance, to 4m2 of usable area or 4m3 / m per drilling costs how much, also a few € / m, a little variable depending on the hardness of the earth, but so soft also 4 € / m.
So factor about a thousand in between !!

For batteries with storage of electrolyte and various others, there are already full, see wikipedia which lists them !!

But what real price ?? and lifetime to be checked, the batteries since 1860 are far from perfect.

It is certain that there are plenty of possibilities of all kinds for renewable energy.
The difficulty is which is the best choice, which are those with great potential for progress or low prices ?.
Last edited by dedeleco the 15 / 01 / 12, 19: 15, 1 edited once.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/01/12, 19:08

Cuicui wrote:On the same subject : http://www.habiter-autrement.org/12.ene ... 9_ener.htm
[i] "A team of Australian engineers from the University of New South Wales, Sydney, have found a way to store electricity in tanks, in liquid form. The wind power plant on King Island, an island from South Australia, has been experimenting since 2003 with a circulation accumulator which stores the excess electricity produced when the wind blows hard, and then releases it when it weakens.
This system could remove one of the obstacles hindering the development of renewable energies, by allowing them to supply the grid in the absence of wind or sun. On King Island, the thermal generator that takes over from the wind turbines when there is no wind has seen its fuel consumption cut by half. "The principle of these batteries has been known for a long time, but no one had succeeded in bringing it to the commercialization stage", says Maria Skyllas-Kazacos, the chemical engineer who has directed research at the University of New York for twenty years. -South Wales on these accumulators.
Unlike conventional lead batteries, the latter use electrolytes (liquids in which the accumulator plates are immersed) which are not stored inside, but in two external tanks. It is their contact, in a central tank, which produces electricity. For recharging, the supply of current from the wind turbines ensures the separation of the two electrolytes, which are again stored in their reservoirs. The advantage of the circulation system over conventional batteries lies in its capacity to supply both a kilowatt hour and several hundred megawatt hours.
The King Island accumulator can thus deliver 200 kilowatts of electricity for four hours. “Theoretically, the storage capacities are unlimited: it suffices to increase the capacity of the electrolyte tanks,” confirms Ms. Skyllas-Kazacos. King Island's four tanks hold 55 liters. To save space, it is possible to store them underground. A handful of wind power plants are already testing the system, on the Japanese island of Hokkaido or in the United States. "[/i]

Lack of information on maintenance: possible replacement of electrode plates + [electrolyte], possible corrosion, cost of components + initial cost and amortization etc ... But that looks excellent to me. Even revolutionary on this industrial scale!
Last edited by Obamot the 15 / 01 / 12, 19: 27, 1 edited once.
0 x
sherkanner
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sherkanner » 15/01/12, 19:12

Ah yes I had heard of it, it is one of the tracks envisaged to remove the limitation of the electric vehicles. Replace them with liquid electrolyte batteries. Refueling would amount to exchanging the electrolyte. Well I have no more data than that. But at least that makes a little more sense to me than producing hydrogen. (good or even pressure drop over time)
0 x
When we work, we must always give 100%: 12% on Monday; 25% Tuesday; 32% Wednesday; 23% on Thursday; and 8% on Friday
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 15/01/12, 23:06

dedeleco wrote:It is certain that there are plenty of possibilities of all kinds for renewable energy. The difficulty is which is the best choice, which are those with great potential for progress or low prices ?.

+1
For electrolyte tanks, the current challenge consists in finding the products making it possible to lower the costs, to increase the reliability, to decrease or even eliminate the possible toxicity of the products and the corrosion of the installation.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 15/01/12, 23:30

sherkanner wrote:Ah yes I had heard of it, it is one of the tracks envisaged to remove the limitation of the electric vehicles. Replace them with liquid electrolyte batteries. Refueling would amount to exchanging the electrolyte. Well I have no more data than that. But at least that makes a little more sense to me than producing hydrogen. (good or even pressure drop over time)

Tests have been done with golf carts. But in practice, with current technology, the electrolytes in the tank are still too bulky for a car. For now, formic acid may be a better solution.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/01/12, 23:38

There is one that is priced at a typical oil price before its price explosion, it's Kaplan, which was made and developed on Breton algae in excessive quantities to make oil with Basque biochemical reaction of the 1800 years:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/4kg-d-herb ... 11431.html
https://www.econologie.com/forums/post222194.html#222194
https://www.econologie.com/forums/post222228.html#222228
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."