Measure the intensity produced by a wind turbine?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Measure the intensity produced by a wind turbine?

by titiyador » 16/01/15, 18:08

Hello everybody

I would like to measure the intensity produced by a Piggott wind turbine from 200w that I finished not long ago. It is announced 200w nominal power, but to be reassured, I would like to be able to measure the intensity produced in real life.

Being in 12v, the amperage can go up to 16A, and as I am measuring with an ammeter 10A max, I will stop before it reaches 10A (by connecting the ammeter when the wind turbine turns too fast and removing it when it accelerates or when 10A will be reached).

I connected the ammeter in series, well at least I think, I followed a little what I could read on the net on this subject (I am absolutely not an expert in electricity, but I am learning , every day a little more!). The problem is that I have no value, whether the wind turbine is spinning fast or not, the displayed value remains at "0.00" ...

I made a diagram of connections and connections. If you can take a look and tell me if I'm wrong or why it's okay it would be great! The ideal after that would be to plug in an 20A ammeter that will remain static to view live production all the time. But precisely, everything in its time!

Thank you in advance!

Tim.

0 x
He who sows the wind harvest ... happiness !!
The shadow
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by The shadow » 16/01/15, 22:41

0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 17/01/15, 01:45

Hi,
You do not need a diode bridge. A charge controller is enough. At the same time, it protects the batteries from overcharging and deep discharges.
No need for brakes either with the Piggot since it has a mechanical tilt in case of strong wind.
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 17/01/15, 08:20

Hi shade, thank you for the document I will look this morning what it is and how it connects in the circuit!

Izentrop, the diode bridge is essential: the current coming from the wind turbine being AC three-phase, it is necessary to straighten it in direct current to inject it to the batteries.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/01/15, 11:36

if the amperemetre indicates zero it is either the amperemetre is out of order or the wind turbine does not work

your connection diagram is good

start by checking your amperemetre by measuring another current, for example the current of a lamp on a battery 12V

what type of amperemetre exactly?

I often use small digital multimeter cheap: the big gauge works up to 20A but does not support this current permanently, it is limited to 10A or 5A according to the model: I put a switch between the 2 terminal of the amperemetre: when the interrupter is conducting it runs the amperemetre and avoids its warming up ... to measure it is necessary to open the switch and it allows to let the amperemetre heat only the minimum time

this interrupter in parallel on the amperemetre allows to unplug it without disturbing the circuit
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 18/01/15, 01:05

titiyador wrote:Izentrop, the diode bridge is essential: the current coming from the wind turbine being AC three-phase, it is necessary to straighten it in direct current to inject it to the batteries.
Not for a regulator for a three-phase wind turbine, whose diodes are incorporated.The same sold in France. : roll:
By cons, I do not know what it's worth and a car regulator should do just fine.
Did you build it yourself?
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 18/01/15, 08:50

Thank you for your answers!

Ben in fact I did not specify, I bought a new regulator with load shedding resistance when the voltage of the battery is higher than a certain voltage (that can be adjusted yourself through a potentiometer). So that's why the diode bridge! The other regulator never worked ... And yes I built the wind turbine.

I was finally able to measure the first amperes, it is necessary that the wind turbine turns at least 300 revolutions / mn to have the first ones! So it was normal that I had nothing the other time, she should not turn fast enough ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 18/01/15, 13:42

titiyador wrote:Ben in fact I did not specify, I bought a new regulator with load shedding resistance when the voltage of the battery is higher than a certain voltage (that can be adjusted yourself through a potentiometer). So that's why the diode bridge! The other regulator never worked ... And yes I built the wind turbine.

I was finally able to measure the first amperes, it is necessary that the wind turbine turns at least 300 revolutions / mn to have the first ones! So it was normal that I had nothing the other time, she should not turn fast enough ...
The shedding resistance is not necessary with the Piggot thanks to its feathering. What is the wind speed 300 rpm?
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 18/01/15, 13:49

Ben, however, it is well advised by the company Tieole, who knows very well the Piggott wind turbines (they build through self-construction courses).

As I understand it, 300 tr / m is about 5m / s of wind. But then it is necessary to calculate with the TSR also.
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."