Making a self-winding 5kW wind turbine

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Hasardine
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Hasardine » 28/08/08, 07:12

Finally Guidi, is this wind turbine built?

I consulted your site, and I did not see photos of the realization of your project, nor of quantified results.
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 28/08/08, 10:41

He hasn't made much progress on this project as far as I know. But he implemented other cool ideas https://www.econologie.com/forums/chauffage- ... t5712.html

Aller hop Patrick: at work for the wind turbine :D
0 x
tieole
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Wind self-construction

by tieole » 08/03/10, 14:43

With around 40 small wind turbines manufactured during 2009, self-construction became a major player in the small wind turbine market
in France.

Many examples exist, especially during the wind festival in Calvi last October, the manufacture of a small wind turbine is something that can be done by any handyman ....

http://www.tieole.com/docs/autoconstruc ... il2010.pdf

In 2009, more than 200 people participated in the self-construction training courses offered throughout France, a schedule is available by clicking on the following link:

http://www.tripalium.org/index.cfm?birdname=acts

The designer of the wind turbine, Hugh Piggott, will be present at the Mondial du Vent in Lecaute in Aude (11) during a 5-day training ...

http://www.tripalium.org/docs/autoconst ... il2010.pdf

Good luck,

jay (at) tieole.com
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 08/03/10, 15:09

tieole

450 euros seems a bit expensive for training when you can get a ready-made wind turbine of roughly the same size for the same price!
: Shock:
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
tieole
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Wind self-construction

by tieole » 08/03/10, 15:24

I do not think, even by buying a machine of bad Chinese range, that you can find a wind turbine of 3,6m in diameter for 450 euros.

The cost of a self-built wind turbine of 3,6m in diameter with a power of around 1,7kW is around 1300 euros. With electronics, 24m mast, and wiring, the total rises to around 8000 euros.

In industrial version it takes around 14,000 euros installed.

The great advantage of this internship is to learn how to make this machine with Hugh Piggott, the guru of small wind turbines with 35 years of experience.

Jay(at)tieole.com
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 08/03/10, 16:44

tieole

OK! What I saw in the photos seemed much smaller, but I admit that seen from this angle is correct!
:D
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.

Criticism is good if added to some compliments.

Alain
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 08/03/10, 17:01

I also find that it is interesting, because it is a question of learning, to make several then.
0 x
See you soon !
joson2
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by joson2 » 21/03/10, 14:28

: Shock:
La wind turbine designcan seem complicated because the calculation of the blades must integrate the induced speeds ...
The problem with wind turbines with vertical axes is that the forces alternate during a cycle, which forces them to oversize under pain of fatigue of the material and rupture. It is mainly for this reason that the horizontal axes have become l 'archetype. It is the best report produced energy, cost of material and lifespan found to date. To go further, the optimum number of blades found even seems to be stabilized at 3 (less than three we gain in material and speed of rotation, but the imbalance causes fatigue which reduces us to the problem of oversizing and limited lifetime by the tired).

For oversales a simple erasure system (setting the parallel rotation plane to the wind by an axis controlled by a control surface) very effectively manages the problem. The feathering of the blades is also a solution but its complexity is reserved for large wind turbines .
The design difficulty lay mainly in calculating the right rotation speed corresponding to the optimum efficiency for a given wind speed, taking into account the induced speeds, blade tip losses and the number of blades.
This difficulty is eliminated thanks to the wind turbine design software, personally the wind design software that I use is heliciel: We enter the wind speed and the max diameter of the wind turbine, then the software will search in its base performance profile data. Calculation of the torque and forces on the wind turbine are carried out and the blades plans as well as the twist is built. A 3D model of the wind turbine and its blades allows export in IGS format or under solidwork. be done immediately !!! : Idea: :!: : Arrow:
Here is a link to the site of this software wind turbine design
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 21/03/10, 17:27

It's been a little pubn but it is the first software that I see that does this.

Your explanations are also interesting.

Have you ever seen if the effect of this type of device could be quantified on the tip of the wind turbine blades?
http://www.minix.fr/

Talk about "leaking" air from the outside, but wouldn't a fairing solve the problem on small "household" propellers?

What would be the effect of a second propeller on the same axis, with blades offset as a function of the spacing between the propellers to find the most laminar areas? We could then use two blades.

What would be the effect of increasing the diameter of the hub, in order to increase the air flow and speed towards the outside of the propeller, where the torque is stronger by the leverage?
0 x
See you soon !
joson2
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

wind turbine calculation software

by joson2 » 21/03/10, 18:18

Leaks at the tip of the blades are effectively, as you suggest, avoided if you equip the propeller with a fairing, or a system like the one you give the link to (which I did not know).
You just have to be sure that the power gain is sufficient to justify the price of the device, for example, the material of the fairing.
The method of evaluation of this gain is therefore carried out, with the software software, by calculating the power taking into account the losses of the tip of the blades (no fairing), and without the losses of the tip of the blades (with fairing). It is then checked whether the gain in power over the desired lifetime or damping, generates an income greater than the price of the equipment.
Heliciel therefore enables performance to be calculated with or without blade tip loss reduction equipment, but it is all or nothing, while in reality it is practically impossible to reduce blade tip leaks to zero, it a little will always remain. It is therefore necessary to keep a small reserve on the "lossless" power calculation, by saying that the calculated power is "ideal" and therefore a little optimistic ...

For the part of your question on a second propeller, I think that a rotary counter could exploit the tangential speed induced by the first propeller, but the reduction in speed caused by the first propeller would make that of behind less profitable, therefore not really d 'interest. : Cry:
In addition if the rotation speed is optimized (it is a function of the software), the propeller uses the entire usable disk surface, so no room for an intermediate blade which would be disturbed or disturbing ...

For your proposal to increase the diameter of the hub, I agree 100% because this joins my conception of improvements to wear :!: : Idea: :D . In addition, a large hub can accommodate a more efficient generator without the need for gear reduction. The speed gain shifted to areas generating more torque is indeed very interesting. But for this system to be really profitable, the air must not be able to escape from the outside, so a fairing is necessary. Namely that even with a fairing if the reduction of the passage vein causes a too important "pressure drop", the air current will tend to bypass the wind disk ... :? We come back to the Betz principle which stipulates that if we take kinetic energy, we slow down the fluid, which clogs the vein all the same .... so no miracles to wait but all the same a track for improve a little (if it does not increase the construction price too much)

For advertising, it's a bit true :? but Heliciel is a software that deserves to be talked about because many projects abort the fact that there are no tools for serious calculation of wind turbine propellers, so I think we can talk about it.
: Idea:
0 x