Make electricity with wood!

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Ptilu
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Ptilu » 22/03/10, 22:39

No, we are at the heart of the subject, if our friends wanted to know how to do the electric, it was for a fridge system (air conditioning or refrigerator I know more), so we are not HS
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 22/03/10, 23:05

Ptilu wrote:Otherwise chatelot, the doping with water of your gasifier will increase the PCI of your gas, but will affect the performance of your gas. You will be much more beneficial in recovering the calories from the exhaust gases to preheat the primary air or else ensuring part of the pyrolysis (which is endothermic) by creating a wood / exhaust gas exchange zone.

if the gasifier only swallows air it overheats and the heat of the gas produced is useless

if it is swallowed a little steam at 100 ° part of the heat that would be lost makes hydrogen: it improves the yield

if the air and the admitted steam are overheated, the proportion of steam can be increased and the yield increased

apart from my theoretical elucubration there is the practice: I knew an old miller who had bought a gas engine and gasifier to turn his mill when the turbine of the river was not enough: it was installed just before 1914 and the war made the installers leave a little too quickly: it worked with coal, and it worked badly: it could not run an entire day

at the end of the war a prisoner of war was put to work in this mill: he knew the gasifier: he showed that it was necessary to open in big a tap which sent water in a kind of boiler at the bottom of the gas, and the gas was running full speed all day without consuming its load of coal ...

the gazo is not a heater: it is even something to which it is necessary to give all the recoverable heat nearby

other remark: in the imogene or xylowatt gazogene the humidity of the fuel is sent to the reduction zone, so also does hydrogen: but I don't like that: it's not regulable: if the fuel is too much wet ca turn it off

with the gasifier against the current even bad fuel (green wood) burns well
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 23/03/10, 00:18

I knew something like that must exist Very Happy
You have plans, docs or links that detail the machine and its cycle

Some practical and theoretical nfos with links and even commercial with butane:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9fri ... ion_de_gaz
commercial the one formerly for caravan with butane, small flame but any heat source works:
http://www.gasrefrigerators.com/howitworks.htm
http://www.gasrefrigerators.com/models.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator
http://www.me.gatech.edu/energy/andy_phd/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icyball
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9frig%C3%A9rateur

You can get cold, more or less, with almost any physical phenomenon, by dissolving salts in water or adsorbing water on these salts (even calcium chloride) or adsorption on zeolite or reactive carbon, evaporation water, ether, acetone, alcohol, and not just freon, ammonia, water, butane.
The difficulty is to make the cycle continuous (easy with pump) but in turn it is easy "icy balls" or scoops of ice cream !!
0 x
Ptilu
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Ptilu » 23/03/10, 14:01

Re
Listen, I know that my knowledge in gas is essentially theoretical, but your water vapor will necessarily impact the yield, its transformation into H2 being endothermic, as well as its latent heat ...
The result is above all to increase the share of H2 in the volume component, which increases the PCI and PCS of the gas ...
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 23/03/10, 14:20

But we recover all this energy by burning this town gas in the engine and we burn less wood and therefore the final yield is much better. Endothermic means that the gasifier thus needs a maximum of heat to make a maximum calorific value of the gas.
0 x
Ptilu
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Ptilu » 23/03/10, 17:19

To tell the truth, the energy necessary for the conversion of H2O into H2 is provided by the combustion of wood, it is a dead loss. Some is recoverable during the combustion of the gas, but there are always losses. The advantage of this technique lies in an increase in the PCI of the gas without increasing the useful volume and at low cost. If this constraint is necessary for a gas on board during the German occupation, it is rather secondary for a fixed installation. A mas knowledge, no modern gas (fixed two-stage bed or fluidized bed) uses gas with water (or mixed) why?

Using a sensible heat part of the exhaust gases or of the gas itself to carry out the transformation of liquid water-> hydrogen does not seem wise because it does not impact the efficiency of the gasoline, but this heat cannot be used to preheat the primary air (which increases the efficiency of the gasoline), or to co-generate (which reduces the overall efficiency of the installation)

It is true that water doping had the merit of circumventing part of the problems linked to the cooling of the process, but with current technologies, we can compensate for this lack. A little electronics and a good thermal balance, within our reach with a collective approach on our favorite fofo :D.

PS: I am aware that my reasoning is only based on knowledge and theoretical consideration, but they are thermodynamic, so all the same legitimate;)
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 23/03/10, 22:00

the air gasifier is good for operating ovens: the heat given off by the partial combustion of C to CO is given directly to the furnace or the finished combustion of CO to CO2: at the time of the martin siemens oven the gazogen siemens oven must be very close to the martin oven so that the heat of the gas is not lost

for an internal combustion engine the heat of the gas is useless and even harmful: the gas and the air admitted must be cold

the decomposition of H2O is a very good way to transform the heat of partial combustion into useful hydrogen

the dosage is simple: if you put too much H2O the temperature drops and the gas makes CO2: it is therefore necessary to send just enough H2O so that the gas does not contain too much CO2

a little CO2 is not harmful because it is soluble in water and is eliminated by the gas purification system

I do not like the thermal doping with water: it smells like pantone ... or it smells of doping without the knowledge of the sportsman's will ...

the gas looks like it's for the martin siemens oven

gas in water is for high temperature ovens. it existed with gasifiers working alternately with air to heat and with steam to make H2 and CO without nitrogen

mixed gas: it's the best gasifier that has ever existed: we just put in enough H2O
0 x
theoargent
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by theoargent » 26/03/10, 17:03

I come back late (crash of the microphone following cut of juice) ... to answer a ptitlu on the initial theme, indeed the most important final goal was to make cold (fridge and air conditioning even if the provencal well is close to my heart ) in a hot country like Argentina ... this said initially it is to do kw !!
if I can make myself independent from wind and solar with batteries, so much the better.
apparently as your statements confirm, nothing concrete really exists (small prod) but the projects are numerous ...
thank you for this discussion, very interesting
0 x
Ptilu
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Ptilu » 29/03/10, 13:09

Pti up

In Théoargen:

Yes, biomass gasification for small installations exists, and many companies are starting to market machines in France. As for our northern neighbors, their prototypes have shown the viability of wood gasification for several years.

To chatelot:

The real question is that to sacrifice ... The yield despite easy regulation, or a little electronics to optimize everything ???

In the coming weeks I will model the reactions, and I must tell you that we will do without mixed gas ... Good modeling will allow us to know in advance the temperatures in the bed and in the building, and therefore d '' anticipate as best as possible the critical thermal stresses in order to overcome them. The thesis of Mr Guerun which I gave the link above will allow us to validate the results so that we are not unpleasant surprises ...

Then the regul:
We will have a compressor (or fan) which will ensure circulation and a servo-valve will be controlled by a PID (or a cascade if that is not enough) in order to regulate the air flow. We will have several thermocouples and flow sensors to complete the regulation circuit.

Besides, you still haven't answered my question: why didn't Xylowatt and company choose a counter-current with steam injection if it's so worth it?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 29/03/10, 21:46

the big interest of xylowatt or imbert is not the yield but the property of destroying at the source a maximum of tar: thus to simplify the purification: which for a gasifier of vehicle is a very good idea

for a fixed installation, a large system of condensation and gas washing is not a problem: it is even for me a significant benefit: the products condensable in the dirty gas of the simple gasifier have more value than the gas. ..

I do not see what electronics can optimize: with the cocurrent if the fuel is not of good quality it does not work at all: with the counter current we can burn almost anything, but if you want proof you will have to wait a bit until I finish a complete realization: for the moment what I am saying is only a summary of what I have read on the gasifiers that have succeeded
0 x