Low pressure hydrogen storage

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Remundo

by Remundo » 18/03/08, 09:38

Hydrogen storage, I even believe on your initiative :P

@ + Captain!
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 18/03/08, 11:20

AH yes, that's it :D

so to sum up, hydrogen storage is not yet developed, no suitable solution for the moment

This type of storage could well be abandoned in favor of so-called "quantum" batteries or the super capacitors of which we have spoken. HERE

suddenly, with 95% efficiency at load and maybe 40% efficiency photovoltaic panels (we can dream) solar electric storage would become interesting

remains to be seen the cost of such an installation and the actual storage capacity
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Remundo

by Remundo » 18/03/08, 12:30

Ah yes, I also like supercaps. It is very efficient for regenerative braking of cars.

Honda had developed this on an IMA or an Insight (my memory fails ...).

For hydrogen gas, I do not really feel its storage ... Finally, who knows :?:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/07/08, 15:46

solar collectors have been around for a long time, producing energy that is much easier to store than electricity and hydrogen

and in addition these sensors are built by themselves: I'm talking about trees or other cultivable stuff

storing firewood is still more convenient than storing hydrogen

photosynthes is the most profitable form of solar energy
1 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 13/07/08, 01:42

True, but there are not enough forests to supply the planet with firewood, there are too many of us

I see a hydrogen car more than a wood car, but after all, it is doable with a stirling
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 13/07/08, 19:54

there are still large areas of desert to cultivate

and irrigating a desert is easier than making photovoltaic cells: and one does not prevent the other ...

I'm not just talking about firewood: I'm talking mainly about using wood to make synthetic liquid fuel while heating with system losses ...

I'm not talking about stirling: the internal combustion engine is best for operating with a fuel: stirling is very good for harnessing solar heat and why not make electricity to electrolyze water: but I would not store not pure hydrogen: I would use it in the manufacture of synthetic fuel with wood which brings carbon but not enough hydrogen
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 16/07/08, 09:59

Chatelot you understood everything!

One of the best H2 storage is biomass with carbon chains.

Deserts can be irrigated with the colossal solar energies that flow into them. The least warm of them are capable of producing biomass.

And there are other solutions, starting from seawater and the sodium which it contains in enormous quantities ... I will publish something about it soon.

Hello everyone!
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 16/07/08, 11:17

Pretty cool discussion. H2 seems to still have a job. On the other hand, for stirling, it is one of the most interesting solutions if one considers a solid hydrogen storage or the release of H2 is exothermic, indeed, one can envisage a large combustion chamber external to the expansion chamber of the stirling.

External combustion engines are therefore not completely to be denigrated if we use low energy density fuels, type H2 gas, methane and other biofuels ...

However, I think that the direct electric sector is making giant strides, and given the possibility of regenerative braking, it will probably overtake hybrids:
Unless kinetic recovery devices also make rapid progress, we indeed need a supercapacitor or a battery in addition to the fuel tank and heat engine couple, we also need a second engine, and many kinematic accessories which in the long term are gradually disappearing from electric vehicles with wheel motors: transmission shaft, carding gearbox, gearbox, in the extreme even the direction give way to servo-controls ... it weighs down the vehicle and increases mechanical losses ...

In the long term, if electrical storage keeps their promises, and if storage on inertial disks does not make tremendous progress (see the performance of disks mounted for F1 in 2009), I am not convinced that hybrids and thermics remain, if not to make noise (their "virility" being at the beginning of the century one of the (many) reasons for their success on electrics).
0 x
Christophe

Re: Low pressure hydrogen storage

by Christophe » 19/02/21, 13:23

New technology for storing H2 without pressure, in a "paste" ...

1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Low pressure hydrogen storage

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 19/02/21, 13:34

Christophe wrote:New technology for storing H2 without pressure, in a "paste" ...

Interesting.
https://www.wikiwand.com/fr/Hydrure_de_magn%C3%A9sium
https://www.techniques-ingenieur.fr/bas ... ium-in170/

ABSTRACT

The solid storage of hydrogen in the form of magnesium hydride (MgH2) allows the large-scale conversion of electrical energy, in particular of renewable origin. Very reactive nanostructured powders are obtained by co-grinding MgH2 and transition metals. After compaction with expanded graphite, these powders lead to high performance composite materials in terms of storage capacity and hydrogen sorption kinetics. Since the hydriding reactions (dehydration) are highly exothermic (endothermic), the development of efficient reservoirs requires careful thermal management. Numerical and analytical tools have been developed to help design these storage systems.

For enlightened technicians only (so not me):
https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00351465/document
1 x