Hydroelectricity

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: hydro-electricity

by Bardal » 24/03/19, 19:28

Yes, it exists, and is even widespread, especially for heating installations. It remains to be seen if it is well adapted to your problem.
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 24/03/19, 19:43

Cyril333 wrote:Thanks to all 2!
one more question: is there a system to regulate the flow at the outlet of the pipe, on demand? can a solenoid valve open more or less automatically depending on the electricity demand?

I do not know anything pico or micro turbines, but it would surprise me that it is expected a power regulation (of course it is the case for large industrial turbines). In addition except to have a substantial water retention (compared to the nominal flow rate of the turbine), I do not really see the interest, you operate over the water, what you can turbinate l is and the rest goes overboard.
0 x
Cyril333
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Cyril333 » 24/03/19, 22:25

The tank acting as a buffer, if for example my turbine generates 1000 W at the maximum flow rate but at this rate the tank is empty in 2 hours while the river fills it only in 5 or 10 hours, it would be interesting to have a valve that automatically limit the flow when the electricity requirement is only 100 or 200 W, it would preserve the volume of water available in the tank ... it would avoid storage in battery and the dewatering of the watercourse.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 25/03/19, 00:05

For example, you can order a solenoid valve with a float switch https://www.pompes-h2o.com/fr/251-inter ... a-flotteur
0 x
Cyril333
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Hydro-electricity

by Cyril333 » 25/03/19, 23:15

Thank you izentrop but a priori it is not what I seek: I would like a valve that regulates the flow at the inlet of the turbine, not a system that stops the emptying of the tank if its level is too low.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 26/03/19, 08:09

Hello,
Cyril333 wrote:I would like a valve that regulates the flow at the inlet of the turbine
This presupposes that the nominal power of the turbine is well above the maximum power demand. In this case, we have the kidneys strong enough to sell the surplus to EDF.

The system with solenoid valve is more intended for a small system recharging batteries, which they assure the demands of power superior to the capacity of the turbine in a punctual way.
With 10 l / s, we can not hope to do what you want. : Wink:
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 26/03/19, 17:51

Hello,

There is a nice turbine for a small installation, it is the centripetal turbine or Francis turbine.

It is a centrifugal pump upside down, so the flow adapts to the load, if the alternator is not loaded, the speed increases and the "centrifugal pump" effect decreases the flow, as soon as the alternator demands, rpm drops and torque (and flow) increases. No need for regulation, I saw one (very old) operating at 50Hz live. (off-grid)

it settles at the bottom of a pool, no need for a big difference in height.

Be careful not to use the full flow of the stream ...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... is.svg.png
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/03/19, 19:05

dede2002 wrote:It is a centrifugal pump upside down, so the flow adapts to the load, if the alternator is not loaded, the speed increases and the "centrifugal pump" effect decreases the flow, as soon as the alternator demands, rpm drops and torque (and flow) increases. No need for regulation, I saw one (very old) operating at 50Hz live. (off-grid)

I didn't understand your explanation, sorry .... What does "the speed increase" or "the centrifugal pump effect" mean?

And "50Hz live" off the grid ", without the need for regulation", there I think we have poorly explained.
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 27/03/19, 07:24

Hello,

But yes I had understood, the turbine was at the bottom of the basin, with a vertical axis and a large wooden pulley, driving an alternator via a flat belt. The speed of the turbine is stabilized by the centrifugal force because the water enters from the outside and leaves the center.

it's been more than 20 years that I saw this installation, at a beekeeper in the Corbières. He used it for his centrifuge and his TV in the evening, otherwise he had the EDF for the rest.

He had a manual valve to stop or start the installation.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 27/03/19, 12:06

dede2002 wrote:Hello,

But yes I had understood, the turbine was at the bottom of the basin, with a vertical axis and a large wooden pulley, driving an alternator via a flat belt. The speed of the turbine is stabilized by the centrifugal force because the water enters from the outside and leaves the center.

it's been more than 20 years that I saw this installation, at a beekeeper in the Corbières. He used it for his centrifuge and his TV in the evening, otherwise he had the EDF for the rest.

He had a manual valve to stop or start the installation.

Well, let's say .... It does not matter if I do not understand.

But a hydraulic turbine which "stalls" at a speed allowing ultimately to produce 50Hz whatever the power demanded, without being coupled to the network and without any means of power regulation, that defies the laws of mechanical engineering. fluids, except accepting that the 50Hz is "between 45 and 55Hz" (values ​​just to illustrate), and again that depends on the type of load.

Again, it does not matter.
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."