Hydro Turbine ED 1500 Watts vs. Turgo PowerPal

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
jamTarga
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by jamTarga » 26/08/10, 17:47

For Bernardd

The only elements I have on the turbine are that it is a Pelton about 100 cm in radius and whose buckets are about thirty centimeters wide.

I do not have the speed of rotation, and the turbine was at the time (I think late nineteenth early twentieth) connected to a system of wheels and belts to power a wood saw.

A Pelton bucket is broken and the bearings are certainly worn and the needle system is completely welded by corrosion.

My skills in electricity, and DIY in general, being very limited, I like the "plug and play" side of micro turbines.

Here is a photo of the fall with a normal flow, normal +

Thank you for your interest in my project.

cordially
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 26/08/10, 18:17

Magnificent, thanks.

I understand for the current turbine: a museum piece then.

You gave the height of the tube, but what is its length?

Do you have a photo of the water intake?
0 x
See you soon !
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/08/10, 18:18

Waw beautiful fall ... I wish I had the same behind us!

How many meters above sea level / position can you collect the turbine? A pelton requires several tens of m ...

What is the existing pipe?
0 x
jamTarga
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by jamTarga » 26/08/10, 22:07

bernardd wrote:Magnificent, thanks.

I understand for the current turbine: a museum piece then.

You gave the height of the tube, but what is its length?

Do you have a photo of the water intake?

The Turbine is indeed a magnificent piece but which deserves peace, in its original place!

: Idea: I'm wearing 42!

The length of the supply tube is, approximately, 35 meters and it is the pipe, on the photo of the previous post, which feeds, with 13 meters of fall, the turbine above.

Nobody has Powerpal Turgo T2 in service in their knowledge?

In any case, thank you for your lights!

cordially
0 x
tromeur
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

turbines

by tromeur » 26/08/10, 22:11

Good evening
the 1500w soft energy turbine requires a net drop of 15ml
Personally at this height I have never produced more than 500w with this machine. I currently power it with a net drop of 2oml
to get the 1500w.
A pvc pipe of 160 should do the trick (no need to take the pressure series take the sanitation pvc pipes thinner but sufficient for this pressure in my experience up to 3 bars).
0 x
tromeur
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

turgo turbine

by tromeur » 27/08/10, 00:09

if you want to see the beast in action
click on my profile and on gallery the photos are the
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 27/08/10, 00:47

jamTarga wrote:The Turbine is indeed a magnificent piece but which deserves peace, in its original place!

Yes, the first time I see armored caps, and in numbers : Shock:

Given the mass, this wheel was also a flywheel, which would be consistent with direct mechanical use.

jamTarga wrote:The length of the supply tube is, approximately, 35 meters and it is the pipe, on the photo of the previous post, which feeds, with 13 meters of fall, the turbine above.

Just missing a photo of the water intake :-)

jamTarga wrote:Nobody has Powerpal Turgo T2 in service in their knowledge?

I just looked at the manual provided on the site and it seems to me that you should be able to find better:
- as I feared, it is an induction motor, with speed regulation: a modern permanent magnet generator is more efficient and simpler, therefore more reliable.
- the power regulation is done by heating a resistance: it should at least make hot water if you have a house :-) Or put a regulation on the water flow, if you had a reserve.

Personally, I will store compressed air, but I will still be carried.

Looking a bit, I found this:
http://www.jlahydro.be/turbines?14d5f55 ... e5ff11fa4e

They seem to have made a turbine just for your pressure / flow configuration.

Addition: I just found a more complete pdf, and I now think that not only is it a very beautiful work, but in addition that it is a project to help.

http://www.codeart.org/pdf/dossier/jlak ... rs-nes.pdf

By adding a permanent magnet generator directly for the right speed, making it more efficient must be difficult.
Last edited by bernardd the 27 / 08 / 10, 01: 16, 1 edited once.
0 x
See you soon !
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: turbine

by bernardd » 27/08/10, 00:51

Thank you also for the photos!

deceiver wrote:A pvc pipe of 160 should do the trick (no need to take the pressure series take the sanitation pvc pipes thinner but sufficient for this pressure in my experience up to 3 bars).

Personally, I don't really like pvc especially exposed to UV and cold. I think that HDPE is much more solid, in particular to impact (falling stones?) And also more resistant to pressure.

In addition, it would be possible to find a PEHD tube in one piece for 35m, without connection which is always a point of weakness.
0 x
See you soon !
larch
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Pelton or turgo turbine.

by larch » 28/12/10, 21:16

jam targa

Hello,
I read your message only today.
I have exactly the same project as yours (10l / second for 32 m difference in height). Just like you hesitate between a Pelton turbine and a turgo.
Can you tell me if you made your choice and for which turbine and which element determined?
With thanks.

Larch.
0 x