Hot face cooling for Peltier module

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
THAD
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Hot face cooling for Peltier module

by THAD » 02/03/21, 09:27

Thank you anyway for your answer;)

A Peltier module is characterized by the temperature difference that it can maintain between its faces. If this difference is 30 ° C, then if one side is kept at an ambient temperature of 20 ° C by means of a cooling system, then the other side can go down to −10 ° C.

So if I create a computer-sized device with a peltier module plugged in on battery power, can I still get good performance? -10 degrees is fine with me in terms of cold temperature, and + 20 degrees remains reasonable.

However, to supply 2 peltiers of -10/20 degrees what is the necessary electric power?

please
0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 02/03/21, 09:44

THAD wrote:
A Peltier module is characterized by the temperature difference that it can maintain between its faces. If this difference is 30 ° C, then if one side is kept at an ambient temperature of 20 ° C by means of a cooling system, then the other side can go down to −10 ° C.

of memory 30 ° C are possible BUT in this case it pumps very little amount of heat to the cold side. and the heat must be evacuated from the hot face excellently, so that it does not heat the cold face, by conduction.

THAD wrote:So if I create a computer-sized device with a peltier module plugged in on battery power, can I still get good performance? -10 degrees is fine with me in terms of cold temperature, and + 20 degrees remains reasonable.

The word efficiency bothers me because this word applies to the heat pumped divided by the electric pumping power and it is always very bad on Peltiers.
If you want to know if -10 ° C on one side and + 20 ° C on the other are possible, absolutely yes but in practice not really.
Unless you pump virtually no heat energy on the cold side and successfully evacuate the amount of pumping heat on the hot side.

THAD wrote:However, to supply 2 peltiers of -10/20 degrees what is the necessary electric power?

You have to see the characteristics of the Peltiers that would suit you but it turns around ten Watt per Peltier, maybe a little less. It is not 'free' in energy, because of the yield.
Once again, it all depends on the caloric energy you want to pump on the cold face.
There is not only the temperature as criterion but the quantity of energy to be pumped as well.
1 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
THAD
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by THAD » 02/03/21, 11:26

It works I understand better, it is necessary to cool the hot face anyway. I'll find a way.

And what kind of battery to power 2 Peltiers -10/20 over a period of several hours would be sufficient?

Chemistry: Lithium-Ion
Capacity: 8600 mAh
Voltage: 10.95 V
0 x
THAD
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by THAD » 02/03/21, 11:34

And with thermal paste is insulation with high-performance insulation material, can not keep the cold side spawning?
0 x
THAD
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by THAD » 02/03/21, 11:41

I am thinking of integrating a closed cooling liquid circuit, to cool the hot faces, cooled by small fans, should we be able to optimize the production of cold? but the concern is that the fans consume electricity and I am very limited in place so no space for additional batteries.
0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 02/03/21, 12:18

THAD wrote:It works I understand better, it is necessary to cool the hot face anyway. I'll find a way.

And what kind of battery to power 2 Peltiers -10/20 over a period of several hours would be sufficient?

Chemistry: Lithium-Ion
Capacity: 8600 mAh
Voltage: 10.95 V

Sounds OK but difficult to be vague about "use". : Wink:
0 x
whatever.
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 02/03/21, 12:26

THAD wrote:I am thinking of integrating a closed cooling liquid circuit, to cool the hot faces, cooled by small fans, should we be able to optimize the production of cold? but the concern is that the fans consume electricity and I am very limited in place so no space for additional batteries.

You have to work backwards, see the place you have, and determine what caloric energy you can evacuate by doing the temperature that interests you.
if you can only evacuate 1mW at the cold temperature that interests you, while your "thing" to cool dissipates 1W, it's screwed up.
You need the characteristic curves of the Peltiers to estimate this.
0 x
whatever.