Wind energy and wind turbines figures

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Did67

by Did67 » 20/09/14, 18:15

I do not imagine that the "mesh", such as one sees it in the "large projects" with wind farms, was not simulated by computer and that the promoters (whom I recall that they are generally private investors, "greedy" for profitability) did not calculate this to be sure that each machine is close to its nominal ...

In some countries, we are starting to have a few years of decline (Denmark, USA, Spain) ... So the simple monitoring would reveal the differences ...

Not that it doesn't exist.

But is it "significant" ???

Do not forget that the wind has a "motor": pressures / depression, on a global scale ... Rise of hot air at the level of the tropics, descent above the poles; the whole "deviated" by the forces of Coriollis (the fact that the earth turns) ...

The whole, of course, "turbulated" by piling of fcateurs, of which the relief, of which the "storm cells" etc ...

So I think that slowing the winds is an impossible mission, even if on a micro-local scale, it is possible.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 20/09/14, 19:01

Did67 wrote:Do not forget that the wind has a "motor": pressures / depression, on a global scale ... Rise of hot air at the level of the tropics, descent above the poles; the whole "deviated" by the forces of Coriollis (the fact that the earth turns) ...

the wind has powerful motors, but it has all the freedom to pass at the altitude it wants ... if it is braked at the bottom it will pass higher

there must be people who have thought about this problem, made calculations or simulations, alas I have neither the data nor the results, but my pifometre who tells me that there is never unlimited energy available

I think that planting a large wind turbine on each square of 1km in France will not give at all the power that we believe without taking into account the reduction of the wind that it would cause ... and at this scale we can even think of modifications of climate

it does not mean that I am against wind turbines on the contrary ... when we build large dams, when we drain river delta, we also modify the nature, and modification does not necessarily mean only badly
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/09/14, 19:12

chatelot16 wrote:
the wind has powerful motors, but it has all the freedom to pass at the altitude it wants ... if it is braked at the bottom it will pass higher

there must be people who have thought about this problem, made calculations or simulations, alas I have neither the data nor the results, but my pifometre who tells me that there is never unlimited energy available

Yes.

Globally, wind turbines are just a little "irritation" ... It's like thinking that a carpet will stop a draft ... I wouldn't want someone think we will exhaust the wind by putting on wind turbines!

Now, of course, it's not unlimited. Exactly, what it is possible to recover is limited (even if there are some who are now considering gigantic "kites" ...). So we can imagine the exploitation of different strata ...

And of course one wind turbine can overshadow another ... But like you, I think this has been calculated, especially in the case of large projects that put a few million euros on the table and want to recover a little more ... I cannot imagine that they did not model this ... Just as I cannot imagine that exu did not have feedback from the monitoring of the 1st large parks, which have some years of hindsight. The mesh offering the best ratio between "too scattered" which is expensive in cables to connect and in kilometers for maintenance / access roads and "too tight" - a wind turbine makes "dynamic shadow" to others. must be known.

At first sight, we always find a little the same spacings ...
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 26/09/14, 17:46

Belgium: Alstom's Haliade offshore wind turbine produces its first KWh

26 Sep 2014 enerzine

The new generation offshore wind turbine Haliade ™ 150 - 6 MW from Alstom, installed off the coast of Ostend at the Belwind site in Belgium, produced its first kWh on September 19.

According to Alstom, assembly and tests have already made it possible to optimize the installation and commissioning procedures for the offshore wind turbine. They will continue to confirm the behavior of the machine in a marine environment and to refine the operating and maintenance procedures. The Haliade should receive its final certification during the last quarter of 2014.

With a 150-meter rotor (with 73,50-meter blades), the Haliade 150 - 6 MW has an efficiency 15% higher than that of existing offshore wind turbines, thus enabling it to supply electricity equivalent to 'around 5.000 households.

This wind turbine works without a gearbox (by direct drive), thanks to a permanent magnet alternator. Thus, the number of mechanical parts inside the machine is reduced, which makes it more reliable and, at the same time, makes it possible to reduce operating and maintenance costs. Finally, the Haliade 150 is equipped with Alstom Pure Torque® technology which optimizes its performance by protecting the alternator by transferring unwanted mechanical forces from the wind to the wind turbine mast.

'Haliade will be entirely manufactured in France, in the new factory for wind turbine generators and nacelles located in the port of Saint-Nazaire. During the summer, Alstom transferred 150 tonnes of tooling and wind turbines in production from the temporary workshop to the new factory, which will be fully operational in early 2015. Ultimately, the production of the Haliade should generate 1.000 jobs. direct and 4.000 indirect jobs in France.

To date, Alstom is the exclusive supplier of 238 Haliade 150 - 6 MW wind turbines ordered by the consortium led by EDF-EN, as part of the 1st call for tenders launched by the French government in 2012. Alstom has also sold 5 Haliade intended for the Block Island field in the United States.

"This project with Belwind confirms our technological leadership and our capacity for innovation. The installation of our robust and efficient turbine will improve the competitiveness of offshore wind power", declared Yves Rannou, Senior Vice-President of Wind activity of Alstom.

http://www.enerzine.com/3/17664+belgiqu ... -kwh+.html
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 20/12/14, 19:22

eco2mix
Ecomix - Electricity production by sector

(In France)

For the 1.225 GW solar at 13:15 pm today, while it is the shortest day of the year and the sun is low on the horizon. (or tomorrow).

yesterday at 10:15 am: 6.34 GW of wind!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 21/12/14, 11:56

Until, thanks to Microsoft / google / apple and Co, we get completely Anglo-Saxon, is it 1,225 GWh and 6,34 Gwh that we should read ???
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 21/12/14, 12:31

Did67 wrote:Until, thanks to Microsoft / google / apple and Co, we get completely Anglo-Saxon, is it 1,225 GWh and 6,34 Gwh that we should read ???

It's a power.

Power is in Watt and its multiples. the big multiple that goes well is GW or GigaWatt.

Same for Anglosaxons.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 21/12/14, 17:11

Sorry. It's a written slip (the extra "h") ... [how many times have I corrected and repeated people!?]

My question was about the role of the point. : thousands separator or comma ???

I ask my question properly:

is it 1,225 GW and 6,34 Gw that should be read? Or rather 1 Gw and ??? 225 Gw ???
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 21/12/14, 19:55

Did67 wrote:Sorry. It's a written slip (the extra "h") ... [how many times have I corrected and repeated people!?]

My question was about the role of the point. : thousands separator or comma ???

I ask my question properly:

is it 1,225 GW and 6,34 Gw that should be read? Or rather 1 Gw and ??? 225 Gw ???

For solar: 1 Gigawatt and bananas
for wind power: 6 Gigawatt and bananas.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 22/12/14, 16:24

yes, you should know that the french network includes about 50 GW of nuclear power.

Then we deduce by order of magnitude the plausible values ​​for the "small" renewables.
0 x