Wind turbine, 3 or 5 blades?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 20/08/09, 17:09

It is true that with a chain it is much better, but I am limited in ratio because I do not have many sprockets, I can not play much especially level pedal, I do not have many sizes (that 2 ), with pulleys I do what I want, I have a dozen recovered from several sizes, I can even machine it myself (I have a lathe and I have already done a few things, besides the one that is there on my generator is homemade because I needed a compromise between two sizes). For the notched belt ok, I take note. It's a crazy thing these ratios of pulleys and multiplication, it defies all logic, sometimes with a large pulley on the propeller and a very small one on the engine, I have less tension at equal speed for the little I put a very slightly larger pulley on the generator, the belt tension is also very important, it must be tight, hence the importance of having propeller torque and this is the case now. I'm going to have to try to understand how the ideal propeller / generator / torque multiplication ratio is calculated (it's not won I am zero in math). In any case for my part, I keep the 5 blades, there's no photo, or else I would have had to make my 3 blades smaller so that it turns faster, but I would have lost in torque. But there it seems to me very well like that, it turns very quickly with a good couple and that's what I needed.
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 20/08/09, 20:27

FYI, here is a DC voltage multiplier. It accepts 4 to 12 volts input and outputs 14,8 volts to 15 volts output. This is what I need. But as at 5 volts I send him about 5 amps, I'm afraid that at the output I only have a few millis amps left. What do you think ?. Here is the assembly with a Max 668
http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h ... r%26um%3D1

Maximum input current supported by a MAX668: 6 amps. it should be fine : Mrgreen: as my engine will never run at its rated speed (2700 rpm) it will never get out its 16 amps.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 20/08/09, 21:34

darwenn wrote:FYI, here is a DC voltage multiplier. It accepts 4 to 12 volts input and outputs 14,8 volts to 15 volts output. This is what I need. But as at 5 volts I send him about 5 amps, I'm afraid that at the output I only have a few millis amps left. What do you think ?. Here is the assembly with a Max 668

Maximum input current supported by a MAX668: 6 amps. it should be fine : Mrgreen: as my engine will never run at its rated speed (2700 rpm) it will never get out its 16 amps.

Forget that the output is only 0.5 amp, your solution is not electronics, in any case not to increase the voltage, start by outputting watts and then we'll see.
:|
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 20/08/09, 22:11

Yes, the output is 0,5A on the diagram, but the input intensity is not indicated there in their example. The 668 supports 6 amps in input, I doubt that in output there remains only 0,5.The CI costs 5 euros, given the cost I want to try; the rest of the components I have that in stock and if some are missing it will not be ruinous. The MAX 668 may be a little hard to find at my local stores, but I can always order it.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 20/08/09, 22:32

Darwenn

The MAX668 is simply an oscillator and you will not really have an efficiency to use this one, just like all the applications to increase the voltage unless the source is already in AC and you use capacitors to increase the voltage.
:?
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 20/08/09, 22:40

So the solution remains to transform from CC to AC and then to multiply the voltage is that it?

There I have a part of a transistor based oscillator to chop the DC current, but I'm not sure it works well to give the alternative from low voltage DC (4 or 5 volts)
http://www.sonelec-musique.com/images/e ... on_002.gif

Then I can bring him an AC / DC tripler like these
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/daniel.robe ... teurs.html

Or if not this other DC / DC doubler based on an LM555, by putting two doublers in series as indicated, I triple the voltage. But obviously with that, also a weak output current ... :|

But anyway in parallel to this research of amp, I will refine the mechanical performance of my wind turbine, it may be enough.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 20/08/09, 23:04

darwenn wrote:

But anyway in parallel to this research of amp, I will refine the mechanical performance of my wind turbine, it may be enough.

It is the right solution if you want a little yield, I understand that you spent a hell of a time and that all solutions are welcome but you should not shoot everywhere at the same time at the risk of being discouraged and everything to abandon.
:|
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 21/08/09, 07:49

Otherwise for info. Same type of amplifier with a MAX 15004 from 2,5v (at the lowest) to 16v at maximum 10A input and 16 volt 10A output.
http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h ... %26hl%3Dfr

And about the MAX 668 that I plan to use, see the manufacturer table: Max output current: 6 amps.
http://para.maxim-ic.com/en/results.mvp ... Regulators

This may not be the solution, but at the point where I am, I tell myself why not try : Mrgreen: nothing ventured, nothing gained : Mrgreen:
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 23/08/09, 19:41

So always for info (because all my trials and vicissitudes will be used for other surely who will fall on these messages with the same ambitions). I made a small voltage tripler. So on the surface, it works, 20 volts output, but this voltage collapses as soon as we place a load (a bulb or other), so too low power, it was predictable, but my curiosity being such that I wanted to try. So I can confirm it: Idea to throw away. CQFD. : Cheesy:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 23/08/09, 20:02

chain transmission is a good way to test and tune up

it is easy to realize the large plate in thick sheet: trace with a compass and drill holes to make each bottom of the tooth

then finish with a file or a grinder

another more modern solution to trace with the computer, print and paste the sheet on the sheet, punch and punch ...

even if the realization is coarse the yield is always good: the coarse realization is paid rather by a reduced lifespan, but it allows to obtain a result before doing better

the slower an alternator turns the larger it must be for the same power

making an alternator at low speed is not the most economical putting a good speed multiplication is better
0 x