Wind turbine, 3 or 5 blades?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 18/08/09, 19:35

A small question in passing, as I exploit all the tracks, I disassembled an old drill 220v 500w synchronous motor (universal) (unlike that of the fan that I had recovered), and I wondered if it was possible to transform it into a generator. It is presented as the alternator, stator and wound rotor. Would that be possible according to you?

Logically, I should bring an excitation voltage to the stator and recover the voltage generated by the carbons, is that it? But how much would the arousal voltage be? it will have to be continuous and I will logically get continuous output right ?, I think I send 12 volts (from the car battery) to it, is that correct ?. I also saw that on a universal motor, the rotor and stator were connected in series, suddenly I would have to connect them in parallel to excite the stator, is it true?

I also saw that by connecting a bulb to the carbon brushes, that it would not be useful to excite the stator, that a current would be created in the rotor with a load. Is this also true?
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 19/08/09, 08:48

To come back to the alternator, in fact I had an error in the phases, now it works, at very low speed the alternator starts and produces then self-excites. Not too much blocking but still too much for the propeller, especially since the priming occurs at very low speed, which means that the propeller will not have time to gain momentum. So I thought of one thing and it works. In series on the excitation, I put a 1000uf 50 v capacitor and there, miracle, at start-up, no resistance from the alternator, a few turns it goes up to two volts then while still going up in turns there it starts and product. I tried a 100 uf condo, it doesn't work, 2200 uf starts up too early, so 1000 uf works fine. I put on a polarized chemical condo, it heats up slightly. The advantage is that it regulates the excitation on its own and when the alternator stops spinning, it drains and does not pull anything on the battery. it seems to work very well. So it is very positive and at very low speed of rotation (200 to 300 rpm approximately). The problem is that I'm afraid that once launched and primed, my propeller will stall and stop.
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 19/08/09, 09:13

Ha lala rectification, the condo ends up slamming !! shame !! what can I do ? it seemed to work well. :|
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 19/08/09, 09:27

Hello everybody

I did not have time to read everything but currently working on the manufacture of a wind turbine, I also asked myself the question of the number of blades in this case 3 or 5.

Finally I opt for 5 blades because at home in the south there is always a small residual wind interesting to exploit and the large gusts are rarer and when there is, they are so strong that it is necessary to put the wind turbine in safety.

That said, I also thought about a wind turbine propeller with a variable number of blades:

- either interchange the propeller according to the use of the wind turbine: electricity production, water pumping, or operate any device because in my professional sector (agriculture) we always have machines to be operated mechanically and a "Swiss Army Knife" wind turbine would be a very interesting concept!
(For the anecdote, I got a baby stroller from the recycling center in my town, the wheels of which are on bearings and unclip in 2 seconds. I got an axle and the 4 wheels and I made 4 types of different propellers).

- or design a propeller whose number of blades vary according to the force of the wind. I have thought about this solution and made plans and it seems to me quite simple to design a propeller of this type.
For example, by recovering the centrifugal force, weights can be moved towards the outside of the propeller and mechanically retract blades which would fit behind a fixed blade. For example, we go from 9 blades to 3 (the blades are stacked by 3).

The idea of ​​masses which move away from the axis with the centrifugal force, and making it possible to notably increase the inertia of the propeller, is not new. This concept was developed and filed by a French aeronautical engineer for aircraft propellers!

What do you think ?

Have anyone ever heard of a project for a wind turbine with variable number of blades or do they have ideas to build such a prototype?
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 19/08/09, 13:24

darwenn wrote:To come back to the alternator, in fact I had an error in the phases, now it works, at very low speed the alternator starts and produces then self-excites. Not too much blocking but still too much for the propeller, especially since the priming occurs at very low speed, which means that the propeller will not have time to gain momentum. So I thought of one thing and it works. In series on the excitation, I put a 1000uf 50 v capacitor and there, miracle, at start-up, no resistance from the alternator, a few turns it goes up to two volts then while still going up in turns there it starts and product. I tried a 100 uf condo, it doesn't work, 2200 uf starts up too early, so 1000 uf works fine. I put on a polarized chemical condo, it heats up slightly. The advantage is that it regulates the excitation on its own and when the alternator stops spinning, it drains and does not pull anything on the battery. it seems to work very well. So it is very positive and at very low speed of rotation (200 to 300 rpm approximately). The problem is that I'm afraid that once launched and primed, my propeller will stall and stop.

Well done darwenn

You are persistent to the max!

For the condo use a diode in series, so you can use a polarized condo.
:D
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 19/08/09, 17:35

Thank you Alain, I'm going to test this, because my condos don't like my jokes : Cheesy: if it works, then i would be very close to success : Cheesy: (it's about time)
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 19/08/09, 17:49

darwenn wrote:Thank you Alain, I'm going to test this, because my condos don't like my jokes : Cheesy: if it works, then i would be very close to success : Cheesy: (it's about time)

Don't forget to put the correct polarity because your condo will heat up and risk to explode.
:D
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 19/08/09, 17:50

No worries : Cheesy:
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 20/08/09, 16:10

So here is the news, I approach the goal. Already some changes.

First I went back to my 5-blade propeller! Why ? because with I knew I had a much higher rotational speed and much better torque, and that's what I needed, speed and torque. Then I abandoned the idea of ​​the alternator in favor of a 24v 250watts 16 amp motor coming from an electric scooter (bought back 10 euros for the parts) and there you have to see the video. By a wind of 40kmh this afternoon, peaks at 10 volts, average by average wind 5,5 volts. So even if it's still insufficient to charge a battery, it's already much better than before. I still have things to finally overcome.

1- Calculate an even better output of my pulleys to multiply my generator speed, because here it is again a bit of luck to find the best possible.

2- Put my pivot on a ball bearing, so as to have a much better performance from my propeller, because the few friction increases the response times to the best corridors of winds for orientation, which makes me lose performance.

3- find a DC voltage tripler. I'll need it and I'll have to find it.

Once this is put together, in a medium wind I would get a charging voltage of 12 volts to 20 volts.

I'm going to get there ! but hey, I'm going back to work tomorrow so I'll have less time to tinker.

Here is the video made this afternoon, but with the speed of rotation, it does some weird stuff on the video, as if the propeller was turning in both directions : Cheesy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrY_82kznmk
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 20/08/09, 16:58

Darwenn

You should have called yourself Darwind! LOL!

Well done! You approach the goal, OK for the bearings on the axis of the blades, OK for the 5 blades, revise the ratio of the motor / blades, go there with a chain for efficiency and replace with a toothed belt when the ratio desired will be achieved to limit noise, or place everything on a rubber block.

Good work! : Cheesy:
0 x