Eco shocker: wind turbines to light motorways

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
vinzman
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Eco shocker: wind turbines to light motorways

by vinzman » 26/02/10, 05:53

''The wind that comes from vehicles as well as that that comes from time, will cause the blades to turn ...''
Here is roughly what this article says in English.
Very clever as an idea! Not yet developed that's for sure, but well thought out!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/06/eco- ... -highways/
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 26/02/10, 08:39

It has been a long time (in France) that the highways have been lit more apart from a few urban sections.
it is a terrible waste.

I would find it more judicious (at a pinch) to put these mast wind turbines on electric poles along the roads by connecting them to the network of these same poles.
0 x
Click my signature
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 26/02/10, 08:57

In any case, we will reinject into the grid using inverters because wind energy is unusable in its raw state: too unstable.
Not ugly at all this stuff! :D
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
FPLM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by FPLM » 26/02/10, 09:37

It's crazy, I was thinking of something like that last night! I am Belgian, I specify, and the public lighting of Belgian roads has always shocked me. Especially since the nuke also feeds them.
2 things disturb me in this conception, the height of the wind turbines and the interest of the recovery of the air displacement of the vehicles.
1) I do not understand why the wind turbines are not installed at the top, above the lamps. The higher you go, the more it blows, right?
2) Recovering the movement of air from vehicles is not a renewable energy. If our vehicles greatly optimize their aerodynamics tomorrow (which is desirable), what will we do with the millions of wind turbines installed for this purpose? I admit playing the devil's advocate because the resale or reuse of these is a possible solution but you have to think of any eventuality. In any case, otherwise, kilometers of wind turbines in this arrangement will slow down the vehicles, inducing turbulence, the direction of rotation of which will be in the opposite direction of the movement of the vehicles. This will either increase their consumption or decrease their performance.
The idea isn't bad though, as it often does, but the design might be better suited I think. It all depends on the desired goal of course.
Perhaps I did not understand the goal precisely ...
That said, by keeping a simple and inexpensive design, orienting the wind turbines horizontally would have the same effect but the induced turbulence would affect the movement of vehicles less (or even more) because their rotations would no longer be contrary to the direction of movement of the latter. .
This is the idea that came to me yesterday. Having said that, I am not saying that my idea is better. However, I do not have the necessary hindsight to judge it and your criticisms or remarks are welcome.
0 x
"If you are not careful, the newspapers will eventually make you hate the oppressed and the oppressors worship. "
Malcolm X
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/02/10, 09:54

FPLM wrote:public lighting on Belgian roads has always shocked me. Especially since the nuke also feeds them.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe these 2 things are rightly related ... A story of either profitability or average load factor ...

Crazy when you know that the province of Luxembourg is one of the places in Europe where electricity is the most expensive: 22 cts / kWh ...

For wind turbines I think it's a great intern or student project but that's all ... it will necessarily cost more than placing a real conventional "big wind turbine" that would feed the network ... after the use we burrow ...

ps: do you know what the French say about the lighting of Belgian highways? It is to avoid the holes !! : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ipvJjddhE

Never tire of it !! ImageImage
0 x
FPLM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by FPLM » 26/02/10, 10:16

Now this notorious alcoholic is the budget minister! And where they took samples, it's not closed and not ready to be!
Seen from here it's less funny, I assure you. : Cry:
0 x
"If you are not careful, the newspapers will eventually make you hate the oppressed and the oppressors worship. "

Malcolm X
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 26/02/10, 10:23

If the movement of air is induced by passing vehicles, wind turbines will rotate in the same direction as vehicles.
They are placed in the center of the tracks and therefore the vehicles pass in opposite directions.
The winds induced by the upward and downward vehicles will add up to turn the wind turbine.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 26/02/10, 11:14

The reflection "recovery of pylons" deserves a study (in particular on the leverage effect of the windward grip on the base of the pylon. : Cry: )

I can very well imagine a mass-produced gadget that you slide into the middle of the pylon. I am on the other hand very skeptical about the recovery of air displacements. Now what about the investment cost (in 10 years when it will have fallen) compared to photovoltaic panels on spaces recovered in interchanges, rest areas, central berm or shoulders.

As for the lighting of Belgian motorways, we could indeed, in very straight and less frequented areas (not on the Brussels ring road, of course) move from the concept of lighting to the concept of beaconing while keeping the lighting dimmed. in curves and in exchangers and outlets. However, it is necessary to take into account the specificity of the Belgian motorways which have many more exits than those of neighboring countries. There is certainly a way to save 60 to 70% and give the police the possibility of turning the devices back on locally in the event of an incident. (there are fuses at the base of each pylon)

On the other hand, what always makes me jump is that we do not take the trouble to establish a temporary connection to properly light work areas, however equipped!

Historically, this lighting story is a vast lobbying story orchestrated by Philips-MBLE and ACEC with the help of Electrabel in the 70s.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
bbenoit
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by bbenoit » 26/02/10, 11:21

Yeah,

I am quite skeptical. First on the philosophy that guides this kind of project:
It gives the impression that we have so much money that we are going to light all the highways (even those that are deserted) while respecting the environment when there would be millions of devices to be manufactured, maintain, dismantle and - in the best case scenario - recycle = a greenwashing operation

And even admitting that this can be done, it is not just energy consumption: the nuisance that this colossal amount of lumens balanced in the atmosphere would induce ...

Then for the beauty of the thing. It always "farts" on a digital view. For example, real estate development operations, on the digital view of the panel it always looks like the gardens of Babylon and then once in front ...

In my opinion, this is the kind of project that should be rejected: com operation, and green only in appearance
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/02/10, 11:55

FPLM wrote:Seen from here it's less funny, I assure you. : Cry:

I assure you that, except on Daerden, I'm not kidding at all since I'm also in Belgium ...

Look at the rant I gave in early February: https://www.econologie.com/forums/paliseul-e ... t9231.html

Apparently the media are more interested in the condition and maintenance of Walloon roads since these different blockages!

We will see if this translates into actions ...
0 x