Forestry and wood energy

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Did67

Re: Forests and wood energy

by Did67 » 20/07/19, 17:32

But here, let's be clear: the main "carbon sink" is constituted by "new forests". This is where carbon sequestration in the form of durable humic substances occurs "naturally".

If we let all the cultivated areas or mowed / grazed French become forests, without doing anything, we would sequester a significant amount of C. We could calculate that!

By the simple fact that the humification would lead to a rough transition of 3% of MO in the plowed soil to about 6% in the French forests.

And this phenomenon is faster at the start, before tending asymptotically towards the 6% corresponding to the "stable regime".

To add the "standing carbon", before entering a stable operating phase ...

But we would be a few tens of thousands (I did not do the math) to feed on trout, crayfish and freshwater mussels, catching game, picking berries. We would eat more boars (able to convert acorns into man-made biomass) than quinoa! Well, we'll be rid of vegans!
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 20/07/19, 17:38

Did67 wrote: We would eat more wild boars (

We feel that you have not yet digested the damage caused by "yours" at a certain time! It's like "whiter than white" ... : Mrgreen: Okay, I'll stop ..... : Lol:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/07/19, 17:46

The one I ate is the one that blew me the car a few years ago !!!

Very well digested! One day, I fall concomitantly on a boar rest in the frozen and ... a bottle of red maderized (undrinkable). I made you one of those sauces and one of those stews I'm still drooling!

Not really whiter than white. But more than bio, the wild boar. And bio, the red. But all this not vegan for a penny!
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/07/19, 22:12

When you write:
The one I ate is the one that blew me the car a few years ago !!!

... I think you are reversing the responsibilities: I have never seen a wild boar run into a car to the point of "blowing it up", but often the opposite ... : Wink:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 21/07/19, 11:18

Exact.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 21/07/19, 22:58

For carbon storage in soils, the temperature is very influential.
It took millions of years to store permafrost in cold soils. Today, the RC is reversing the process. So no tillage and cutlery is good for soil life, limit evaporation and erosion, but to store carbon, it is rather compromised.
Image https://reseauactionclimat.org/stockage ... limatique/
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 21/07/19, 23:29

The zoning is spectacular.

We clearly see the two determining elements, water and temperature:

- in arid climates, no biomass produced - water is lacking; temperatures generally too high; there is no "entry" into the soil system, therefore no humidification; we have almost pure "mineral soils", very poor
- in very hot climates, enormous biomass continuously all year round, but rapid mineralization; life does not bother to form humic substances and store them; everything is recycled in a very short time; anything that is produced "rots" right away; in reality, life is maintained above the ground, which is hardly more than a "support"
- in a "temperate" climate, biomass is formed, but with heavy pumping in winter; the mineralization then also stops; summer, biomass production and acceleration of mineralization; finally, the results are rather poor !!
- in the boreal climate, little biomass, but it is formed anyway; but it is frozen, kept in the fridge, it accumulates ...

However, be aware that the card gives an image of the stock. No flows. What interests us is flows: combines c stored in x years. The high content of northern climates is the result of small accumulations, but for a long time!

Yes, if the fridge is down, it will quickly rot and mineralize. So release C!

I was surprised that no-till was not a game-changer. The INRA study we talked about, however, starts from the postulate that we maintain the exploitation of these soils. AND under these conditions, in fact, the balance does not change fundamentally: little photosynthesis is devoted to the formation of fibrous OM (green manures occupy a "non-productive" niche that is too short, too unfavorable, and above all produces Fermentable, non-fibrous OM, which do not change much in the "humic balance" situation; I thought that less aeration of the soil by plowing would change the situation, but obviously this is not the case; in fact, the increase in the biological activity, that of the worms, seems to largely compensate for the effects of no-till on this point; finally, on reflection, logical that this does not change much; and so much the better for our vegetable gardens: it means that life organic largely replaces plowing!)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 22/07/19, 06:40

Did67 wrote:green manures occupy a "non-productive" niche that is too short, too unfavorable, and above all produces fermentable, non-fibrous OM, which does not change much in terms of "humic balance"
... but it seems that like all plants, they contribute to sustainable carbon storage, with root exudates that represent on average 20% of C captured by photosynthesis.
It is recalled here et leaves. Claire Chenu had said at international meetings of agriculture of life.
These are simple sugars, but when they get stuck in deep, between clay leaves, it seems it, sometimes for a long time.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 22/07/19, 07:36

Thank you for correcting me !

I came out of the INRA document. There are two things that are related, but that the INRA distinguishes.

And indeed, in field crops, "direct sowing" is not very effective in storing carbon. The elimination of tillage (and therefore the reduction of oxidation) does not significantly change the situation: + 60 kg C / ha / year. It's not nothing anyway!

But "the extension of intermediate crops" (ie green manure crops, crops under live cover, etc.) has a much more positive impact on storage: + 126 kg C / ha / year. And there, in fact, the exudates certainly play a determining role.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 22/07/19, 09:17

I often express myself badly. My goal was not to contradict but to bring precision. These measures of INRA were made in temperate climate, center France I think.

One or two degrees more, on average and the few kilos of C saved will fly away, that's also why we imagined other means of action than the "4 per thousand" for agriculture https://reseauactionclimat.org/publicat ... itoriales/
0 x