COP of a heat pump

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
balou59
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

COP of a heat pump

by balou59 » 09/05/07, 10:38

Student 2 th year of DUT thermal engineering and energy I am currently training and my subject concerning renewable energies, I already took care of the sun (for hot water because I live in the north ^^ ) and I attack now with heat pumps, I will like to calculate the amount of heat recovered in a year and what is currently blocking me is the change in COP depending on the temperature of the cold source (especially for the aerothermie)
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 09/05/07, 11:56

Everything is here: https://www.econologie.com/la-technologi ... -3389.html
and there: https://www.econologie.com/pompes-a-chal ... -3534.html

In any case even if a heat pump can have advantages compared to a traditional electric heating, it is NOTHING a renewable energy.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/05/07, 12:02

Perfectly agree with Nono: it is foutage of mouth CAP (except deep geothermal ...) except in case of replacement of a 100% electric heating.

I'm not even talking about reliability (a fridge rarely lasts more than 10 years ... a heat pump is the same, worse with the 100% Chinese equipment that arrives on the market there ...)

As for your question you will find EVERYTHING you want in this excellent summary document on heat pumps

ps: for info the COP of our solar installation exceeds 60 !!
Last edited by Christophe the 11 / 06 / 08, 20: 18, 1 edited once.
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 09/05/07, 12:51

Small update on heat pumps

Average annual yields are now 3
Maxi 5, mini 2 (see same COP from 3 to -7 ° C on the latest mitsubishi)

But, the overall efficiency of the electricity produced by our nuclear power plants is 30% !! which from an energy point of view reduces the overall yield to 1 !!

This is why in the calculations according to RT 2005, electric heating is penalized (x 2.8)

As a result, apart from CO2 emissions, a gas or oil installation is more efficient and less expensive to use.

Here, here

This aside, a CAP has many advantages:
Non-polluting nuclear energy (except leaks : Cheesy: )
honorable performance with an average COP of 3
Reversible material that allows cooling with the same installation

Disadvantages: expensive to buy and limited lifespan 8 to 15 years
which makes it an equipment to install only in new construction.

IDEALLY, the TIP TOP installation would be:
- House properly insulated
- Orientation of the bay windows South and West, Sun hat (balcony for example) for the summer and deciduous trees.
- Heating / cooling floors (calculation of the slab thickness to create a thermal inertia from 24 to 48 hours)
- Solar panels for DHW and Heating (around 20m² for 100m² of living space, approx. € 600 / m² of collector)
- Electric backup for DHW
- Additional heating by wood insert (with or without water exchanger)

Possibly a small heat pump of 5 to 8 KW for the heating and cooling additions

Just ask
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
balou59
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by balou59 » 09/05/07, 16:38

thank you for your answers and your speed.

nonoLeRobot wrote: it is NOTHING renewable energy.

on this point I agree but officially has one.

I read all your documents well and I think I will use the temperature of the cold source (average outside temperature for aerothermy and average ground temperature for geothermal for each month of the year) to vary my COP (from the curves I found in the summary document for heat pumps)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/05/07, 19:28

balou59 wrote:on this point I agree but officially has one.

I don't know what you mean by "official" (Edf, Ademe, the State ...?) But if all the "sellers" told the "truth" ... well that wouldn't be known? : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
balou59
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by balou59 » 10/05/07, 08:43

It is true that at the level of renewable energies between manufacturers, wholesalers, installers, associations such as ADEME (which I find completely mocking us : Evil: ), environmental protection associations I feel slightly lost because I heard everything and its opposite,

that's why I want to make my own opinion by performing my calculations myself.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 10/05/07, 10:15

I would like to come back to Capt Maloche's statements:

IDEALLY, the TIP TOP installation would be:
- Orientation of the bay windows South and West, Sun hat (balcony for example) for the summer and deciduous trees.
- Heating / cooling floors (calculation of the slab thickness to create a thermal inertia from 24 to 48 hours)
- Solar panels for DHW and Heating (around 20m² for 100m² of living space, approx. € 600 / m² of collector)

the hardest part of course is "correctly oriented housing": it would be necessary to review the town planning rules, the design of the districts, the architecture. not won!

that said, I did a little calculation:

20 m² PS: 12000 euros
on insulation + 7500 euros

i.e. 19500 euros to be financed in 20 years on new construction
that's about 90 euros / month for heating and DHW: very acceptable, right?
and in my opinion, there are ways to bring prices down, the solar heating market not yet being very competitive, particularly in terms of labor prices.
it should also be noted that, in 20 years, the resale value of such a house could be considerably higher than that of a conventional dwelling.

Capt Maloche also said:

But, the overall efficiency of the electricity produced by our nuclear power plants is 30% !! which from an energy point of view reduces the overall yield to 1 !!

This is why in the calculations according to RT 2005, electric heating is penalized (x 2.8)

As a result, apart from CO2 emissions, a gas or oil installation is more efficient and less costly to use

yes, but are the energy costs of fuel delivery compensated in this calculation?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/05/07, 15:51

Capt_Maloche wrote:IDEALLY, the TIP TOP installation would be:

You just described our house ... ah no we have no electrical back-up for DHW : Mrgreen:
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 10/05/07, 21:59

OH YEAH ?

these are the plans I'm starting to make
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^