Combustion of wood, pollution and fine particles

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
jlt22
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jlt22 » 01/08/09, 10:04

Hello,
The site below compares the combustion emissions from fuel oil, gas, coal and 3 ways of heating with wood:

http://www.ofme.org/bois-energie/interet.php[/ Quote]

On the other hand, the CO2 balance is zero if you buy your wood in a managed forest (a felled tree = a replanted tree); otherwise it is catastrophic, worse than fuel oil
Unfortunately, in certain regions of France, we continue to cut down without replanting, and this is also the case for poor countries.

For my part I heat exclusively with gas and I have an ecological balance of more than 99% of the wood heaters around me, knowing the source of their fuel.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/08/09, 10:19

jlt22 wrote:Unfortunately, in certain regions of France, we continue to cut down without replanting

Are you sure about this?

jlt22 wrote:For my part I heat exclusively with gas and I have an ecological balance of more than 99% of the wood heaters around me, knowing the source of their fuel.

Uh what does that mean above 99%? What is your balance sheet based on?
0 x
jlt22
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jlt22 » 01/08/09, 11:54

Christophe wrote:
jlt22 wrote:Unfortunately, in certain regions of France, we continue to cut down without replanting

Are you sure about this?

Uh what does that mean above 99%? What is your balance sheet based on?

Yes, in the Cotes d'Armor, individuals buy their wood from the farmer who removes slopes. Recently, I just saw 2 small shaved woods for farming.

There is almost no managed forest and those that are managed work with the lumber industry.

We are starting to see treatment plants with spreading on surfaces planted with willow, but this wood is intended for certain boiler rooms of public buildings.

In some places near rivers we try to persuade some farmers to redo the hedged farmland, this is done by planting hedges, a machine runs regularly to make pellets, always for boilers of public buildings or for the farmer, but with the private individual it is still marginal according to a friend who does this kind of work.
The individual is still attached to his log in his closed fireplace or stove.

During road cleaning by the DDE, I see many places where the wood is crushed and thrown back into the embankment

The important thing is to improve the insulation and limit the losses, which I try to do little by little at first.
From a 2007 DPE which promised me a consumption of 15827 Kw gas / year, I just went to 8756 kw this year,
3 weeks ago I replaced my 20 year old double glazing (4x6x4) with 4x12x4 argon + ITR, and reviewed the tightness of all my openings, I hope to save 1500 to 2000 KW

I then plan to invest in solar for hot water, see more
0 x
boubka
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by boubka » 01/08/09, 12:13

jlt22 wrote:
Unfortunately, in certain regions of France, we continue to cut down without replanting

http://www.bois.com/mieux-connaitre/for ... progession
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 01/08/09, 12:39

Christophe wrote:There are ... catalysts based on the principle of self (works well when it's hot) that we put at the exit of the stove.

But very little used because:
a) they only intervene on the particles (maybe on the CO?)
b) their cost should not be trivial (hypothesis)
c) they get dirty quickly enough

P.Schutz had climbed at the time I think ...

There is not already a functional system which sprays water in the exhaust gases of the wood-burning heating system to agglomerate some of the particles? A system which condenses a large part of the water vapor from combustion ... and recovers hot water in rain (+ particles / ash). A "little" like in the exchanger part on the exhaust of the water vapor pump in the wet combustion of Remi Guillet.

https://www.econologie.com/forums/combustion ... t5794.html
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/08/09, 12:50

jlt22 wrote:There almost no managed forest and those who are working with the industry for softwood lumber.

This is completely false ... a large part of the forests are now (and for a long time) managed sustainably and also on firewood ...

After not confusing small wood that is deleted for a reason X or Y and sustainable forest management ... We should not generalize!

Flytox I do not know for spraying but it seems very complicated for individuals to set up ... not to mention the fact that it will greatly promote bistrage ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 01/08/09, 14:32

That most forest areas are managed, it's true ... but well managed and in a sustainable way, it's less certain.
As in many other areas, the forest is subject to the effects of fashion and many mistakes have been made, the consequences of which only appear after a period of time which is sometimes quite long ...
I could find many illustrations, I would limit myself to citing the latest example to date: the Landes forest.

Three major aspects characterize this forest massif:
1- monospecific species (maritime pine).
2- even stands (of the same age).
3- stands in rows.
And, guess what, these are the 3 main factors of worsening wind sensitivity ... annoying, right?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 01/08/09, 15:50

Hello
Christophe wrote:There are ... catalysts based on the principle of self (works well when it's hot) that we put at the exit of the stove.

But very little used because:
a) they only intervene on the particles (maybe on the CO?)
b) their cost should not be trivial (hypothesis)
c) they get dirty quickly enough

P.Schutz had climbed at the time I think ...

I installed one on my slow combustion stove, the cost is affordable because very few people install it and make it difficult to manage (I got it on promotion)

this arises directly at the outlet of the stove of the 8 inch diameter stove a cubic box with internally neither a ceramic bee like the cars, except there is a bypass with a manual hatch for the deposit of the hearth, it it must be turned on only if the temperature of the chimney is sufficient
it does not adapt well with softwoods if the temperature drops or wood not very dry softwoods, fouls the catalyst.
It is for this reason that most of the heaters using wood pass by.

Andre
0 x
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 31/10/13, 14:16

Unearthing so as not to pollute another subject.

jonule wrote:

why use a microwave or electric kettle while dead wood abounds and just bend down to pick up this NRJ bar, harmless, like the sun?

I answered :

Because the burning of wood is very far from harmless because of the harmful particles emitted.

jonule wrote:

we are in 2013: the combustions have been greatly improved?
the appliances of today are no longer those of yesterday, the chimneys have given way to well-studied stoves.
moreover there are particle filters for wood stoves, by ionization:
http://www.oekotube.ch/joomla/oekosolve/index.php/FR/

this energy requires a little more effort to pick it up, but it is the most affordable, accessible, non-radioactive.

at home that's it or the oil boiler: it pollutes +, oil is not renewable as wood.
"in addition" always, I am planning the heating by the sun for the spring / autumn mid-seasons, I was inspired by this solution on the forum, I find a very good idea.

fortunately that what pollutes is expensive
0 x
To argue.
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 31/10/13, 14:17

The combustions have been greatly improved but the users are still the same and have not evolved. Particulate filters are non-existent.
0 x
To argue.