Cave and heating

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 26/10/08, 08:11

Hello.
We have already mentioned this on the forum, ie the possibility of using a protected space, it was in this case a greenhouse, and a well, to bring calories to a heat pump; whether it is a greenhouse, a cave, a well or whatever else, the problem is that this isothermal protected space does not heat up as quickly as it gives off its calories, unless it has 'a mushroom house with many galleries under the house; consequently, the heat pump, by pumping the calories from the ambient air, will gradually lower the ambient temperature of the cave until it no longer manages to heat up as quickly as it is cooled. The cave is in fact maintained at isothermal temperature by the inertia of the earth which surrounds it, itself heated indirectly by the sun and / or by deep geothermal energy.

So in application with a heat pump, I can't see well. Your cave constitutes a thermal buffer space which is already appreciable.
0 x
qed
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by qed » 26/10/08, 11:41

Thanks for the arguments, bham.
A question all the same: if the cave is say at 3 ° C, that it communicates to a network of caves, and knowing that the ground only rarely freezes very deep here, it risks remaining isothermal anyway?
(one more question: on the other hand, maybe it is too cold for a heat pump?)
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 26/10/08, 11:57

qed wrote:Thanks for the arguments, bham.
A question all the same: if the cave is say at 3 ° C, that it communicates to a network of caves, and knowing that the ground only rarely freezes very deep here, it risks remaining isothermal anyway?
(one more question: on the other hand, maybe it is too cold for a heat pump?)

It can perhaps remain isothermal according to the network of galleries, it is also not too cold for a heat pump but that will be interesting only for outside temperatures (outside air) lower than 3 ° C; and at this temperature, the efficiency of the heat pump will undoubtedly be low.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 26/10/08, 13:47

A question all the same: if the cave is say at 3 ° C,

In general, the temperature of the caves is around 12 ° c
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 26/10/08, 14:53

bpval wrote:Captain Maloche is an EXPERT

So ask him the question
: Mrgreen:

I'm serious

Hello

So many requests go straight to my heart Bpval :D

Hey great, it's an alert that warned me that they were talking about me :D
it works

qed wrote:Hello,
We have a cave under the house, it is located in the middle of the mountain (we heat 10 months a year, with a large wood stove).
Is there a way to use this cave for another heating mode?
We already have a gas central heating system (propane bottles ...), which we do not use.

Hello ged,

I'm not sure what you mean by a cave under the house, what type of dwelling is this? chalet? insulation?

is it a house built on a cave?
or a cave several meters below the house?

Pictures? crocquis?

if you heat 10 months a year, it means that you are already at a good altitude, how much?

have you measured the average T ° of the said cave during the year?
is it closed or open to the outside?

With these elements we can reason on good bases :) to find out what you plan to consider as a complementary heating system
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
qed
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by qed » 26/10/08, 18:04

Good evening everyone,
Indeed, the 3 ° C come directly from rumors of caving amateurs in the area (we are in the mountains of Lacaune, Tarn, 600m). I have not yet taken the time to measure the temperature in the cave, in fact not even to go down there. There is a small entrance 5m from the house (a hole, man passage), and people who have been there in the past say that it is big enough and that it communicates with others, but that it's difficult to pass.
The house is made of stone (early 20th century, old dairy) and the insulation is not great, but it is the priority for work (not everything is 2ble glazed and we have not finished redoing all the joints stones, but the attic is isolated on the ground).
A priori the house is built on the rock, with the cave roughly below. For the photos / sketches, I will probably have nothing until next spring!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/10/08, 18:37

Uh, what is this "cave" for? Does she communicate with the cellar?

If it is useless, it must be condemned and insulated (thermally and hydro) from the rest of the house ...
0 x
qed
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by qed » 26/10/08, 19:27

Christophe wrote:Uh, what is this "cave" for? Does she communicate with the cellar?

If it is useless, it must be condemned and insulated (thermally and hydro) from the rest of the house ...

There is no cellar in the house.
What is the cave for? this is precisely what it could be used for that I am asking here, from a heating point of view.
As for condemning it, quite easy, but isolating it I can't imagine how ... that said, for the moment I am trying to use it!
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 26/10/08, 19:50

Hey, are we talking about a cave ??? The bear is coming !!!! : Mrgreen:

From a purely legal point of view, I suggest not to get carried away or to shoot high.
The use of caves or any other underground cavity is generally subject to authorization!
So before imagining any use whatsoever, I think the first step is to find out about the legality of your idea!Image
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/10/08, 19:50

Uh ok I misunderstood the question / problem ... because heating 10 months a year I thought there was a problem related to this cave precisely ... : Oops:

But ... this cave is is on your land, I mean: does it belong to you? I believe that the ownership of a land stops at a depth of 1 m but there are certainly specificities with the caves ...
Last edited by Christophe the 26 / 10 / 08, 20: 12, 1 edited once.
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."