Connecting a car alternator ...

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 24/02/09, 11:09

Hello titiyador,

Too bad to stay with your little 50 W because your generator can take out 200 W.
One solution is to go through a Buck type converter which will allow you to recover a good hundred additional watts.
Gene 200W => 50 V / 4A => conv buck => efficiency .8 => 150W or 12 V / 12 A
This being an easily tinkering approximation. We can do better!

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 24/02/09, 11:35

Hello Obélix,

What you're telling me really interests me. In fact, I'm just starting to learn about wind energy, but it quickly became a passion, and I'm a bit of a handyman.

A Buck converter, don't tell me anything, I don't see at all what it can be. Finally I just rummaged on the Internet, I found some diagrams, but the names of the components are not indicated. Could you (if it doesn't bother you and if you have any), send me a diagram to make a Buck converter? or tell me if we can buy a ready made one? (I looked on Conrad (I still don't advertise ...!), but I didn't find ...

Thanks to you, in any case it's great.

Tim
0 x
He who sows the wind harvest ... happiness !!
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 24/02/09, 12:16

Hello,

A buck converter is simply a DC / DC converter which lowers the starting voltage.
In your case you need a 48/12 Volts converter which holds 200 Watts with if possible a wide range of input voltage.
I would advise you to buy it ready-made because the price of spare parts would be equivalent to that of everything assembled!
Of the kind :
http://www.transplanet.fr/boutique/info ... 3562&fam=7
But it's not the only one, you have to look a little!

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 24/02/09, 13:04

titiyador

You'd better use a three-phase transformer or three transformers, if your generator is naturally, you will pay much less.

If your output is 50 volts, you must connect it to two 2 volt batteries in series for 12 volts otherwise there will not be enough charge on the generator, in this way the speed will be regulated by itself.
:D
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 24/02/09, 14:59

Thank you all for your responses.

Alain G, I'm sorry, I didn't understand anything, I would remind you, I suck in the matter, I just want to learn ...

I also don't know how my generator is. How can I find out ??? I know there are 8 or 10 leads (I don't have it in front of me but I can watch it tomorrow night, I'm coming back from class (I'm a student)).

What do you think?

Sincerely, Tim.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 24/02/09, 17:21

titiyador

You must have 6 or 7 wires, 2 for each phase and possibly 1 for grounding.

Check and come back with the result.

Give me the number of revolutions / minute and the information on the plate if you have it.

See you soon!
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 24/02/09, 17:43

No, I have at least 8 wires, I would even say 10. The number of revolutions per minute: at 150, the first amps are produced.
On the machine it is written text:

SHEPHERD LAHR
VRDM 5913/50 LNB
2,8A 1 ohm

(12675) 0150 00
306R 0007
W.GERMANY

I'm putting a picture tonight, but what do you think?
Goods.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 24/02/09, 22:22

titiyador

I did some research

Your motor is a stepping motor of excellent quality and quality,
unfortunately you will not be able to output a lot of watts (subject to any reservation).

As I have never tested this kind of generator engine and yet it is my field of work, I cannot tell you what you can get from it.

You have to find the 6 wires or 3 depending on the case of the three phases and that you take the voltage reading while it is rotating, either powered by a drill or by another motor and pulleys.

With these readings and the approximate speed we can deduce the power in watts, then you oppose a load of 1 amps (bulb 12 volts 10 watts) and recheck the voltage, with these data you will have the power.

I don't think it can give more than 2 or 3 amps on the other hand if you turn it faster it will give you more voltage and increase your wattage.

Ex: 200 rpm = 40 volts ------ / 600 rpm = 120 volts

Watt = Volts x Ampere or VA

I await your answer
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 25/02/09, 07:09

Hello Alain G,

Thank you for re-explaining it to me, it's clearer. Yes it is a stepper motor I also did some research yesterday afternoon. If I manage to draw 100 watts on average, it will be a positive start for my first wind turbine.

I will film the measurements and send them to you if you wish (please send me your email address).

If I therefore have more voltage, will I have to use a Buck converter to keep the same power? Unfortunately I find that the price is too high for me, I am still a student, but I do not lack the will to learn, I really want to get there and I will not let go until successful! But at one point did you tell me about using three transformers? is this still possible in your opinion?

In addition, on the advice of a surfer, I ordered parts from C .... D, to make myself an adjustable voltage regulator, as on the following site: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/ebonys/pagespeciales/regultension.htm

Do you think I made a mistake?

Thank you (once again) warmly for the time you devote, I will send you the information on the engine this evening in exchange for your email.

Sincerely, Tim.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 25/02/09, 13:39

Hello Tim

You must start by knowing if this motor is with permanent magnets, you must open it and check and at the same time identify the three phases

Tim wrote:

If I therefore have more voltage, will I have to use a Buck converter to keep the same power?

It will not work because the voltage is not converted into an amp as in a transformer, I advise you a three-phase or three control transformers of 100 VA each 220 volts at the primary and 120 volts at the secondary. About 20 Euros or less each

Ex: primary 50 volts x 2 amps for 100 watts
secondary 25 volts x 4 amps for 100 watts

Take note that a regulator does not increase the amperage but acts on the voltage, but the load limits the voltage which results in an increase of the amperage, but you cannot exceed the ampere capacity of the generator,
this is why the transformer has its place.

The regulator which you quote is appropriate but I advise you to double the transistor (T1) for more amperage.

here is my e-mail: dakotalain@hotmail.com

See you later

Sincerely, Alain
0 x