Blades for a small windmill ...

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
epfyffer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Blades for a small windmill ...

by epfyffer » 09/07/13, 13:49

Hello everybody

I have a quick question: I made for my terrace a small windmill in recovery material: a stainless steel tube with a barrel like mat, two small scooter wheels (especially the bearings) for the axis of the mill and to let it turn to catch the wind in front, one or two stainless steel bolts and nuts, and for the blades to date an aluminum door threshold that I cut into 5 sections and that I fixed on the wheel. For the moment no tail line, it balances alone in front of the wind.
The prototype turns quite well, but as you can imagine it only turns when the wind gets a little strong. The blades are functional but not optimal (to put it mildly ...).

So I wanted to know what could I try to mount as blades on my wind turbine. I have 5 spokes on my scooter wheel (the small wheels that look like roller skates) through which I have passed bolts to fix my current blades). So I'm looking for 5 blades that are more optimal than my door sill tips.

I thought of airplane or radio controlled helicopter blades, but I wonder if it is really optimal as blades or if I must necessarily turn to something more "serious". Knowing that I try the experiment in recovery. only and that I could ask the local RC store if they don't have any blades to liquidate, that would tempt me more than ordering wind turbine blades which cost an arm ...

I am not looking for the performance, but just to watch the beast spin when there is wind ... A blow of color bomb and here is the brightened terrace :-)

Thank you in advance for your ideas or comments. I will post the photos shortly : Mrgreen:
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 10/07/13, 09:10

make canvas blades :?:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 10/07/13, 10:54

good old wooden board! it's the easiest to try the size you want!

why were the wings of the old mill in canvas? because you had to make them big enough to use the weak wind, and it would have broken everything in case of strong wind ... so when the wind was too strong we climbed in the wing to remove the canvas!

in reduced model, the resistance of the materials is favorable, we can make simple wooden wing supporting the strong winds

look also in google for berton wings: variable geometry wing which modernized the windmills in 1850
0 x