Recorder anemograph for wind study

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
fam
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Recorder anemograph for wind study

by fam » 29/01/10, 11:20

Hello everyone, this is my first message on this site.

To assess the wind potential of an isolated site (no network except satellite and gsm), I am looking for an autonomous anemometer which records at minimum speed and time at regular intervals. I can recover the data about every month.

(the correct terminology would probably be "recording anemograph")

I note that this type of product is not easy to buy at a decent price for an individual. (Only one found at less than 200 Eur approximately. It is an English product recently released on the market)

It is strange that it is necessary either to go through a pro who makes the study (free) before buying his product (which is not my objective), or to pay a large sum for equipment which is worth less than 100.

However if my site is promising, it seems to me that it is the essential step to do the preliminary study.

I take any solution (purchase, rental or DIY. (I know how to do a lot except the electronic part))

Thank you for your help (in mp eventually).
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 29/01/10, 11:32

for a good handyman / programmer, it should be able to be done with a small netbook style pc. it depends if there is a source of energy on site.
Even for an enlightened amateur, the development time of the solution is not negligible. it depends on whether the study should start quickly or not.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 29/01/10, 11:39

Ah I just thought of a PLC-based thing. The development time would perhaps be shorter if we can obtain the wind speed in the form of an electrical signal in 0-10V
But the same thing, it depends if there is a source of energy on the site in question.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 29/01/10, 11:46

Hello,

If there is access to the alternating signal of a permanent magnet generator, it suffices to count the alternations ...

Otherwise, put a magnet bike ride counter and also collect the pulses?
0 x
See you soon !
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 29/01/10, 12:27

I believe that the question is not about how to measure the wind but rather to record the measurements over a given period.

Anyway, a little more details on the project and its implementation would be necessary before continuing to discuss it.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 29/01/10, 12:36

Forhorse wrote:I believe that the question is not about how to measure the wind but rather to record the measurements over a given period.

Well understood ! I answered exactly that: recording a number of pulses and a specific date every n seconds is quite simple ...
0 x
See you soon !
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 29/01/10, 12:58

very good response from bernardd:
the bike computer will do just fine. if you choose the appropriate model, it keeps in memory the maximum speed, the average speed, the total time and the operating time.
all the necessary data is there.
for the active part, a DIY with three half ping pong balls or if you can find a mast head in spare parts; two magnets stuck on the rotor and it rolls.
it will have to be calibrated: a windless day on a pole mounted on the roof of the car
0 x
Click my signature
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 29/01/10, 13:13

The ideal would be to find a counter which can transfer the recordings to a PC, I think that exists.

Otherwise, I also found this for a statement by usb:
http://www.planete-domotique.com/contr-leur-usb-1-wire-ibutton-usb-rj11.html
http://www.planete-domotique.com/energie/capteurs-divers/gp1-compteur-d-impulsion-sur-bus-1-wire.html
0 x
See you soon !
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 29/01/10, 13:19

there is that:

http://fr.oregonscientific.com/cat-M%C3 ... nelle.html

229 euros, I think, can be less by looking better.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
fam
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by fam » 29/01/10, 15:07

Hello

Thank you for these initial responses.

The project is the rehabilitation of a summer barn on a plateau in Auvergne.
So one of the first steps would be to analyze, over a long period of time, data usable for the implementation of alternative energy, including wind turbines.

I repeat that this is an isolated site without energy at the moment.
There is a building but still open. Doc no question of putting a pc etc for the moment.

I have thought about the bike computer system, but it will not help me enough, because the data is not useful for wind power.
(An average speed, min max, duration of use etc ... what counts is speed n / revolution at a given time and this every x (time), what a bike computer does not give I think)

As already said I could make the mechanical part but the electronic part would be too complicated for me.

What I found is this:
http://www.eco-technologie.net/index.ph ... 21&lang=fr but at 250 Eur without detailed description I am not interested
What I like more is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmWdELuG ... r_embedded.
It's not bad at all for a complete solution but still too expensive for my taste. (150 £) or nearly 200 euros including shipping.

Thanks for your help
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."