Wind, would we have been lied to?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Aeolian, have we been lied to?

by sicetaitsimple » 22/08/22, 14:11

Janic wrote:We're not good at managing things in the very short term, and morons like you are stupid enough to believe that these jokers are able to manage waste over thousands of years when they, the jokers, will be long dead. and that they will no longer have to account for their destructive madness..

Yes, that's why they have to be buried in geological formations that haven't moved for hundreds of thousands of years (I'm not just talking about the French project, there are other projects elsewhere ) in order, after monitoring for a few decades after the end of the filling (manageable on the scale of human life), to be able to "plug the hole" and if not forget, at least let the radioactivity decrease at its own pace without further ado monitoring required.
You see, for once we agree!
2 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/08/22, 15:34

sicetaitsimple wrote:Yes, that's why they have to be buried in geological formations that haven't moved since. hundreds of thousands of years

Do we really have this scientific hindsight or is it just speculation?

It seems to me that a German project had screwed up this point since the geological formation had moved (or had been flooded I don't remember) only a few years later...

Ach Germanic rigor is no longer what it was! : Mrgreen:
2 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 22/08/22, 16:16

Christophe wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:Yes, that's why they have to be buried in geological formations that haven't moved since. hundreds of thousands of years

Do we really have this scientific hindsight or is it just speculation?

I am not a geologist, but the geologists (by the hundreds) who have worked on CIGEO since its inception say yes. Personally, I trust them more than any tweet, but today it seems that any shit posted on twitter by anyone can get some people's attention. So sorry to sound maybe a bit conventional....
Concerning the German "bazaar", I seem to remember that they were drums (oil barrel type) of low-level waste which had been deposited without more precaution in an old salt mine. Good, would have to search, but in my opinion nothing to see.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 06/01/23, 10:47

The wind mirage...
I came across a glowing article about Scotland's Hywind project, titled 'The world's first floating offshore wind farm turns 5 - here's how it's doing'. It's all full of kudos for the 'capacity factor', i.e. the amount of nameplate capacitance it actually generates. And in fact, with a claimed capacity factor of 54%, it's impressive.

The wind farm has a nominal capacity of 30 megawatts (MW). With a capacity factor of 54%, this represents 142 gigawatt hours generated per year. Like I said, impressive.

There is only a small fly in the ointment...as detailed here, electricity from Hywind is sold to the grid, not to the consumer, but to the grid, for $0,25 per kilowatt hour. That's about four times the cost of electricity from fossil fuels, and guess who subsidizes the difference?

Yes. The poor British taxpayer. At $0,25 per kWh, this electricity subsidy is costing taxpayers just over 26 megadollars a year, or about one-eighth of a billion dollars over its five-year life... It's a hell of a affair.

In the United States, the average consumer price of electricity is around $0,10 per kilowatt hour.
The Manhattan Institute says that globally we have subsidized wind/solar/biofuels to the tune of $5 trillion over 20 years.
Our World In Data says that globally they have supplied 9,12 petawatt hours (1015 watt hours) in 20 years.
That's $0,55 per kilowatt hour that we've thrown into a rat hole.

(People don't realize how huge $5 trillion is... Here's a way to grab it. If we were to waste a million dollars every hour, setting fire to $24 million a day, 24 hours on 24, 7 days a week, 7 days a year, it would take us 365 years to waste $570 trillion. Think of all the good things money could have done. To pick just one thing, it could have provide drinking water to every village on the planet with a lot of money left over... But no, the green lobby must have its madness paid for by the taxpayer.)
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."