Deville Wood Pellet Boiler Adjustment

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
sonia24
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Deville Wood Pellet Boiler Adjustment

by sonia24 » 16/12/09, 20:23

hello everyone, here we are 2 years that we have a wood pellet boiler brand deville, and we seek advice to be able to adjust it without too much to consume, because we have tried several adjustment and have consumed more and more . all advice from the welcome come thank you in advance for your answers.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 16/12/09, 21:15

thank you to indicate the exact model of the boiler and a little more details on consumption
how many tonnes per year? what size of house? where? what mode of heating before the pellets and what equivalent consumption?
0 x
Click my signature
sonia24
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by sonia24 » 16/12/09, 22:45

this is the cedra eco 24 model, a little over 5 tonnes per year, the house is around 120m2, the boiler is in a log, before we heated with a wood stove and we spent 4 or 5 fathoms of wood per year .
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 17/12/09, 09:01

sonia24 wrote:this is the cedra eco 24 model, a little over 5 tonnes per year, the house is around 120m2, the boiler is in a log, before we heated with a wood stove and we spent 4 or 5 fathoms of wood per year .

Thank you for the details.
I looked at the instructions for this boiler : Shock: : Shock:
it is a very very very basic system.
it seems to me that the regulation does not manage the 3-way mixing valve. : Shock:
can you tell me if this is the case?
the only option is a room thermostat that cuts the burner as in boilers 30 years ago : Shock:
do you have it at least?
a breaststroke of wood is about 2 steres and a few it seems to me?
so you consume around 10 steres a year, or around 16000kwh
an equivalent consumption would therefore be around 3.5t per year.
but difficult to compare.
in which region?
0 x

Click my signature
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by 24 » 21/12/09, 13:21

Hello,

I mainly address dirk pitt, I have the same boiler for 1 week and I am a little afraid of seeing the level of pellets go down so quickly, I estimate our consumption at 2 tonnes per month.
We are 1000 m away, the thermometer revolves around - 8 and we have an old house of 150 m² not very well insulated (just double glazing) and we have 18.5 ° C everywhere.
I'm going to install an additional room thermostat. But how do you know if the boiler is properly adjusted?
people around us rotate between 30 and 40 wooden stereos per winter depending on the house.
Thank you
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 21/12/09, 14:34

@ Deville24,
what heating mode you had before the pellets and what was the consumption. it gives a good basis for comparison.
in which region are you?
30 to 40 steres : Shock: it seems huge. : Shock: the equivalent would be around 10 tonnes of pellets. 3 times what I consume.
that said it is possible at 1000m in a cold corner.
tell me especially if your heating engineer installed a motorized 3-way valve because it seems that the basic version of this boiler does not provide for it. the system with the room thermostat provided on the deville is in my opinion not a very good idea as it is simplistic.
0 x

Click my signature
Did67

by Did67 » 21/12/09, 14:45

If this is the boiler that I saw in a famous DIY store that starts with L and ends with N, this is indeed what I would call a rough DIY to convert a wood boiler to a pellet boiler. ..

I saw neither modulation nor regulation ...

So you cannot expect the performance and performance of much more sophisticated and expensive machines ...

A 2CV drives ... A BMW too ...
0 x
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by 24 » 21/12/09, 16:20

dirk pitt wrote:@ Deville24,
what heating mode you had before the pellets and what was the consumption. it gives a good basis for comparison.
in which region are you?
30 to 40 steres : Shock: it seems huge. : Shock: the equivalent would be around 10 tonnes of pellets. 3 times what I consume.
that said it is possible at 1000m in a cold corner.
tell me especially if your heating engineer installed a motorized 3-way valve because it seems that the basic version of this boiler does not provide for it. the system with the room thermostat provided on the deville is in my opinion not a very good idea as it is simplistic.

I just saw that you are in isere too, towards the ecrins park. and you??
what is a three-way valve?
why do you think the room thermostat is not a good idea?
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 21/12/09, 17:56

deville 24 wrote:what is a three-way valve?
why do you think the room thermostat is not a good idea?

so in the beginning there were dinosaurs .... : Cheesy: no I'm kidding; we're not going to resume for so long.

in short: the boiler, its job is to make hot water, then you need another more or less complex and sophisticated device that adjusts the need for hot water according to the desired temperature inside and that it done outside.
it's called regulation. The 3-way valve is the main organ.
as the name suggests, 3 pipes get there. it looks like this:
or that if it is motorized
its role is to mix the very hot water leaving the boiler with the warm water returning from the radiators as required.

the deville cedra eco 24 boiler has no regulation allowing to control a V3V (from what I know).
the only pseudo regulation it offers is to turn off the burner when the ambient temperature has reached the desired value. as much to say that 20 to 30 mn later one has an impression of cold because the radiators have cooled and it is necessary that the boiler heats up the whole circuit.
that was strictly speaking valid for oil boilers or the burner starts in 10sec and stops instantly. on a pellet boiler, it's really not terrible and it will go bad. I think it would be better to have a good regulation of V3V besides certain installations with controlled V3V do not have a room thermostat and it works as well or even better.

by the way; I still do not know what you had before as a boiler or if it is a new installation.
Ah and I’ll see you
0 x

Click my signature
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by 24 » 21/12/09, 20:53

thank you for your indications.
I have a 3-way valve but it is not motorized.
if I understand correctly I cannot have a motorized valve, because the boiler does not have the necessary connection (I hope not to be too blonde). do you think i can find one that works with an outdoor temperature sensor.
It is only the second winter that we spend here, and last year we had an old oil boiler which consumed so much that we only used it for hot water, and insure 12 in the house, so impossible to you give consumption. Since I add radiators with thermostat in the new rooms, and install a hot water tank with heat pump, the old rooms have large cast iron radiators without thermostat.
the other problem is that my pipes are over-sized (4cm in diameter), that they pass through all the cold cellars before entering the house. I isolated them with 5 cm of rock wool but hey it's not the best.
What do you think of the room thermostat?
the boiler runs continuously, it does not stop until the water temperature is reached with a delta of 3 degrees. suddenly I thought that the thermostat could allow the boiler to stop more often, because with my cast iron radiators, the room is rather long enough to cool down finally I think.
I made measurements, the boiler works 10 min and stops 5 minutes, continuously over 24h
0 x