WhalePower, a wind turbine light inspired by whale fins

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 11/03/09, 15:31

Christophe wrote:So I withdraw my answer to the birds! : Cheesy: or rather I rectify it! Nature has not put it because a potato is probably too heavy : Mrgreen:

Seriously I don't know ...

Surely because it has no interest and the designers have taken their desires for realities.

As for flying potatoes, it is rather on the side of aircraft and human pilots that we must look for them. : Cheesy:
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET
"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/03/09, 15:32

Before throwing baby, look at the pdf anyway: https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... svrvbb.pdf
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 11/03/09, 15:45

Well, I just went through it (very quickly and with my bad English). And I don't find the yield graph p.30 to be particularly impressive. It seems to me that it is very close to that of a conventional wind turbine.

But I may not realize ...

And then the tone of their site of the kind: "COLOSSAL ATTENTION REVOLUTION which will change the world of the wind turbine and the fan" ..... bothers me a lot.

In short, if I had money ... I wouldn't put it in there.
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET

Flytox

by Flytox » 11/03/09, 21:22

Hello highflyaddict

He says the protrusions are on the leading edge, but not much more.

The idea is original but leaves me skeptical. Why should nature (or evolution or whatever you want) neglect to equip the wings of birds if it is really interesting?

I remember a study in Sciences et Vie which spoke of the theft of the chafer. With the "classic" aerodynamic calculations the chafer cannot fly! (under motorization, wing surface too low, insufficient lift, I don't know exactly what but it should not be able to take off from the planet) and yet it flies! So they closely examined the bug to understand where the gag was hiding and they found that the leading edge of its wing had a very, very particular profile.

If I remember correctly, the air rushes into a sort of 'triangular' bleeding / cavity which creates a vortex in the right place to increase the lift. Once the calculations resumed, the chafer flies ouufff !! : Mrgreen:
A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 12/03/09, 00:01

Flytox wrote:Hello highflyaddict

I remember .....

Hello Flytox (tox ... theft? : Cheesy: )

Yes, I also remember it. The chafer flew and we couldn't understand how ... It was a good example of our narrow vision of things in Nature. And it's still there.

But from there to stick the fins of whales on a wind turbine ... : Mrgreen:

From what I understood, the protrusions would considerably increase the useful angle of incidence before dropping out.
This should optimize the performance in weak winds. Probably as already mentioned by Christophe (Maloche?) By modifying the flow regime and increasing the thickness of the boundary layer.
But that, I'm just guessing.

By cons I would be curious to see what it looks like on a tidal turbine.

A+ Image
0 x

C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 12/03/09, 09:06

Christophe wrote:Nature has not put it because a potato is probably too heavy : Mrgreen:

Ben and the patators so ???

0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 12/03/09, 12:43

Hello

The concept is original and deserves that we consider its usefulness
I thought at first that it was a trailing edge, then turbulators but I think I have another explanation of the principle.

The red arrow indicates the place where the air rushes in before flowing according to the black arrows.
On a classic profile, this step in the flow produces a slight compression linked to the slowing of the flow.
This effect is reinforced in the present case since the flow is channeled between 2 forms. It is a double venturi in a way. The acceleration of the flow in the white areas is reinforced and it is undoubtedly accompanied by a turbulent effect linked to the convergence of the flows which are no longer parallel.

I would be curious to know the real gain in performance compared to a blade without the forms.
A wind tunnel visit with the comparative polar route would have been interesting.

A+

0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 12/03/09, 13:40

Funny coincidence the founders of the company are Doctor Fish and Doctor Watts.
8)
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."