Heat pump driven by a mill wheel

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Pierre17800
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Pierre17800 » 08/03/09, 08:33

Thank you for your participation.
My goal is to make a positive energy house, so all means are good for grabbing KW.

1- I need an exchanger because the underfloor heating is (will be) also supplied by a solar collector and that it can also be connected to a gas boiler in the event of a breakdown.
2- the fact of using an oil system has already been experienced: it was called the "Kinetotherm" and it worked well: but we only recover the power available on the shaft of the wheel while with a pump with heat we also recover the calories from the water of the river and even with a modest COP the yield is much better.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 08/03/09, 11:50

the cop will not be modest, but superior to commercial heat pumps

1) whoever has a mill has a large amount of water: therefore a cold spring never too cold

2) direct transmission to the compressor avoids the loss of energy in the electric motor of a conventional heat pump

3) it allows to choose a compressor at low speed having a better output than the compressors too small rotating too fast that we see in general
0 x
bobono
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Heat pump driven directly by impeller

by bobono » 08/03/09, 21:09

Pierre 17800.

The diagram that I propose is that used by certain instalation of which have proved their worth in the habitat. I will make it cleaner again.

The underfloor heating can have several circuits this is not a problem.
0 x
Pierre17800
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Pierre17800 » 10/03/09, 09:16

Hello,
I would like to size the evaporator. And there, I hold: it is true that my knowledge in thermo is limited and distant.
The evaporator will be immersed in the river, the water temperature is 9 ° in the cold season except this year when it fell to 5 ° for 15 days. The flow varies from 18 to 36 M3 / minute: So no problem there. I have to collect the equivalent of 15 KW / h. Given the flow, we can consider that the water temperature will be constant. I realize that the result will undoubtedly be linked to the type of refrigerant ... I have read certain subjects in this forum but I must admit that I am dumped because it seems that there is also an impact on the compressor.
Thank you for your help.
0 x
Pierre17800
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Heat pump driven by a mill wheel

by Pierre17800 » 17/10/11, 18:11

Hello,
I'm back after 2 years of work ...
The mill has been rebuilt, the impeller is in place, it turns with its multiplier ready to drive the compressor of the heat pump.
The evaporator made of 100 meters of copper tube is submerged in the river bed. I am about to get the condenser: a 14kw exchanger to supply the underfloor heating.
There remains a delicate point which I cannot resolve:
WHICH GAS is most suitable:
Water temperature or evaporator bath = 6 °
Temperature at the exchanger inlet = ???
Temperature leaving the exchanger = 35 °
If anyone can tell me or find this info, thank you for your help.
Kind regards.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/10/11, 21:37

shame to start the realization of the exchanger before choosing the fluid

the choice of fluid does not change anything in terms of efficiency or temperature: the fluid mainly determines the operating pressures

for example the steam could work, but would give very low pressure, almost under vacuum, so huge pipes to pass a sufficient flow ... there existed refrigeration machines with steam, it was huge

at the other extreme, the CO2 works at very high pressure ... it requires too thick pipes

R12 or R22 refrigerants and their slightly less polluting successors have the advantage of operating at pressure and flow more practical

R600a (isobutane) and R290 propane have the same practical pressure advantage and they are readily available, inexpensive and non-polluting ... the only drawback is that they are flammable and that some precaution must be taken if the volume of the circuit is important

look at the label behind your refrigerator, there is a good chance that it is isobutane if it is not too old

another advantage butane and propane are compatible with a wider range of materials than R410 type refrigerants
0 x